1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I remember Cadillac did the same by bringing back buttons on their cars several years ago. People got sick of changing their AC temp using sliders. lol. There are some things I shouldn’t have to dig for or look sideways to find while driving or tell everybody in the car to be quiet while I issue a voice command. The voice commands were comical to me back in the early 2000’s, and they’re still funny.

2. Sajan

Sajan Member

I've had the BMW iX for over a month now. Took it to Austin last weekend. Huge difference (in terms of logistics and range anxiety) the 100 extra mile range compared to the e-tron that I had for a year. The car is so smooth. It's weirdly quiet in the car. I can hear myself think.
    Overall a pleasant experience.
    Charged all 3 times at electrify america since i get that free for 2 years...they really need to get their sht together. adequate experience at best meaning, i was able to charge but it should be a more seamless experience with all chargers working.

3. Sajan

Sajan Member

Psycho top spec: The highest end R1T has 1,025 horsepower, does 0-60 in <2.5s (Cyberbeast did 2.6) and quarter mile in 10.5 (Cyberbeast did 11.0)

ryan_98 likes this.
  4. jchu14

jchu14 Member

The EV tax credit refund finally hit my bank account today. Pretty relieved and surprised that nothing went awry.

We filed tax online on 4/15 and had no updates until this week. I thought for sure the dealerships screwed up and didn't submit the proper paperwork to the IRS.

We bought a 2022 Ford Escape PHEV and 2023 VW ID4 and pretty happy with both. Though I wish I had waited for the 2024 ID4 for the upgrades. Got great deals on them both though. I think going one PHEV and one BEV is the right call for us.

My parents placed an order for a Model Y last week. I am a bit concerned that they will hate the lack of physical controls and one pedal driving. Though they are really excited. It'll definitely feel like the future compared to the 2008 RAV4 that is being replaced.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

So they fixed everything but the goofyass front end?

6. RC Cola

RC Cola Member

I guess I already spoke about my EV opinions, but I did end up getting a full EV last week (barely used Chevy Bolt for ~$17K, and I think I can get the used EV tax credit on top of that?). Not as fancy as the other EVs, but I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm just plugging it in to a regular outlet at home, and that's worked fine. I did a test fast charge session at an EVgo station which was fine I guess, though of course the Bolt is super limited with its fast charging.

Rented a Model Y a few weeks ago, and that was good too. Supercharged a couple of times, and really didn't have any range anxiety. I still have our Chevy Volt, which let me sorta experience the EV style for the last 12+ years, but nice to have a pure EV now. I'll probably get a bigger EV to replace the Volt in the next year or 2.

rimrocker and jchu14 like this.
  7. Sajan

Sajan Member

I actually kinda like it.
    sure the headlights look like a USB-C port...

8. Sajan

Sajan Member

I wish people knew to stop charging at 80% at high speed chargers (level 3).

I saw a lady in a Mach-E at 90% and she has been there 35 mins.
    I thought she would leave.. nope

She sat there. I noticed she went from 90 to 97% and that took an additional 20 minutes! i looked at the rate and it was at 7 or 8 kwh. that's slower than level 2 charging..

I was there for 27 mins.
    23% / 79 mi to 77% / 258 min.

9. Sajan

Sajan Member

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/volkswagen-invest-5-billion-rivian-200612312.html

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) -German automaker Volkswagen Group will invest up to $5 billion in U.S. electric-vehicle maker Rivian as part of a new, equally controlled joint venture to share EV architecture and software, the companies said on Tuesday.

Shares of Rivian surged 30% in extended trading on the Nasdaq after the announcement, boosting the company's stock market value by more than $3 billion.

Buck Turgidson and ryan_98 like this.
  10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Member

Lel. Rivian and VW merging. Not the best news for Rivian

11. Sajan

Sajan Member

not a merger.

12. rimrocker

rimrocker Member

Chevy has now more than made up all the EV sales it lost when the Volt was discontinued. They have more coming online, including a new Volt in 2025.
    [​IMG]

ryan_98 likes this.
  13. rimrocker

rimrocker Member

Dodge is putting a gas generator into their Ram trucks. I suspect this will be a big deal in Texas and other parts of the US:

"For model year 2025, Stellantis will electrify its full-size Ram 1500 pickup, following in the footsteps of GM and Ford. But unlike its rivals, Stellantis will offer the Ram 1500 REV in both an all-electric model (with 350-500 mile range) and a "range extender" Ramcharger 1500 that features around 140 miles of electric range — plus a V6 engine mated to a generator to power the vehicle when the battery is depleted."

"... a “range-extended EV” or “series” plug-in hybrid (or whatever we start calling this other third thing) like the new Ramcharger is a fully electric-drive vehicle. There’s no mechanical transmission to power the wheels. It simply has a compact gasoline engine, tuned to run at a single, most-efficient speed, married to a generator that can produce electricity to run the electric motors when the battery is depleted.

Thanks to the extended range provided by the gasoline generator, these vehicles can drop battery mass and cost, squeeze in a gasoline engine and fuel tank, and still come out comparable on cost as a pure EV with substantially longer range than parallel plug-in hybrids."

"The range-extended series hybrid thus sheds 137 kWh of batteries vs. the 500 mile range EV. At about $100+ per kWh to manufacture and assemble those incremental battery cells, that saves Stellantis at least $14,000 to manufacture the truck."

https://heatmap.news/electric-vehicles/range-extender-ramcharger-1500

14. body slam

body slam Member

sorry oif this has been asked but....

how do they figure fuel tax for EV?

15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Member

If a state does charge a tax, its in the form of a yearly fee.

16. Buck Turgidson

Track the milage year-to-year whenever you renew your registration, charge whatever fee is appropriate

17. rimrocker

rimrocker Member

Given that we have every EV breakdown ever filmed in this thread, I think it is only fair to note not one of these cars appears to be an EV.

18. rimrocker

rimrocker Member

Ford introduced the new 390-mile range Capri EV today. It's a Europe only option right now and joins the Mach-E and Explorer EV as options in Europe. I should note the Explorer is not our Explorer--it's a tad smaller than a Mach-E (photo is below the Capri). So Ford has three offerings in Europe and I can't even get an EV Maverick here in the US?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ryan_98 likes this.
  19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Notable Member
    Supporting Member

Put some solar panels on it and BOOM --> Capri Sun EV.

ryan_98 likes this.