1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

lol i liked his comment at first. then read the 2nd one.....and thought to myself, fk off. lol

Mr. One More Lane Engineer.

2. Sajan

Sajan Member

probably to induce demand again?
    Sales were under expectations for last Q.

Oh god, I am going to get attacked by chubby and sky ghost.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Well, they did say it was due to planned factory upgrades while they re-tool for the new Model 3. But I do think EV demand is down a bit. It's probably a combination of them wanting to stick it to other EV makers while the going's tough while also trying to attract some more buyers. Most of the people that want to buy EV's actually aren't from what I've read. Too expensive, range anxiety, etc., etc.

4. Sajan

Sajan Member

Americans have made buying an EV very political…
    I am not convinced yet the adoption curve is going to go like the rest of the world.

5. Sajan

Sajan Member

Kia should follow...

6. Sajan

Sajan Member

Tommyboy likes this.
  7. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Sajan likes this.
  8. jchu14

Space Ghost likes this.
  9. hooroo

hooroo Member

10. Sajan

Sajan Member

11. jchu14

Yea, but I just don't see how it benefits VW financially to be so stubborn. Even Electrify America had said they will support NACS in the future.

The only possible reason that I can see would be that charging experience would be worsened on some of their 800v vehicles like the Taycan due to the lower voltage on most SuperChargers. So the car would only charge at 50kw (similar to Hyundai and Kia 800v vehicles).

I assumed this is a technical hurdle that isn't impossible to cross if engineers are tasked to do it. Maybe not?

12. jchu14

Li Auto demonstrated the charging capability of their upcoming Li Mega mini van with 800v architecture and CATL battery capable of 5C charging.

The vehicle peaked at 552kw, charging from 10%-80% in 10 minutes. It was able to sustain 400kw up to 60% and 300kw up to 80%.

That's some insane battery charge rate. If this kind of charging speed proves to be reliable and safe, EV charging in the future can reach near parity with gas refueling sooner than later.

The Li Mega is going on sale in January 2024, so this is not just some tech demo in a lab.

https://carnewschina.com/2023/10/24...charging-capacity-thanks-to-catls-5c-battery/

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I keep saying "I'll believe it when I see it", but this is good news even if it means lower production if/when it comes out in the next 5 years. Toyota has been claiming around a 745 mile range with 10-minute charging time for these solid state batteries. They're not expected to be in cars until 2027, though, not to mention, then you have to wait for the early adopters/beta testers to either ok them, die a fiery death, or get just 200-300 miles in real-world usage :

Toyota nears mass production of solid-state batteries

ramotadab and Surfguy like this.
  14. jchu14

Texas $2500 EV rebate application just opened up for fiscal year 2024. It's now taking applications.

The vehicle would have to be purchased 9/1/23 or later.

If you purchased or leased a new EV or PHEV in Texas after 9/1/23 then I urge you to apply ASAP. There are only 2,000 grants available so it'll probably run out very very quickly.

https://www.tceq.texas.gov/airquality/terp/ld.html

15. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Yet another study showing EVs create less emissions than gasoline and diesel rigs.
    [​IMG]

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

17. Sajan

Sajan Member

Ford hits the brakes on $12 billion in EV spending because EVs are too expensive
    GM on Tuesday withdrew its 2023 profit outlook, and CEO Mary Barra said the automaker will slow the launch of several planned EV models to cut costs.
    Mercedes-Benz reported this week that its third-quarter earnings fell as margins on EVs remained lower than previously assumed.
    https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/ford-gm-mercedes-come-clean-on-ev-demand-weakness

EVs, like everything else, are political
    https://www.axios.com/2023/10/25/electric-vehicles-politics

What they're saying: Bill Ford, executive chairman of the auto giant, is dismayed EVs have become "heavily politicized."

"Some of the red states say this is just like the vaccine, and it's being shoved down our throat by the government, and we don't want it," he told the New York Times.

18. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

In your opinion, is the competition still coming?

19. Sajan

Sajan Member

the only thing that matters to me is I go vroom vroom in a flat six.

you have me confused me with someone else who cares about the “competition”

I post EV news. Bye Felicia.

ramotadab likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

Of course it is, why would you think otherwise?