1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, the 'Vette I wouldn't have the guts to do, but a '32 Ford I'd do in a heartbeat, but would make less sense since most '32s are going to be hotrodded to some level, I guess. Hawk did keep the guts of the Vette he did, though, so I think he still owns the engine and transmission to put back if required. He also didn't do any modifications to the body (or not much) to get the electric stuff in, so that wouldn't be a problem, either. I definitely would never have the guts to do it to a ICE Porsche, though. lol.

Sajan likes this.
  2. CXbby

CXbby Member

The misconception is because it was true a few years ago but the updated s and x all keep up on the top end now as well instead of just gimmicky 0-60. Tesla holds the ev record at Nurburgring afterall.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/5/23746906/tesla-model-s-plaid-track-pack-nurburgring-record

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

CXbby likes this.
  4. CXbby

CXbby Member

As noted Tesla isn’t just 0-60 anymore. But I do agree that Porsche aesthetic design beats Tesla, especially the Taycan, as well as driving dynamics, they’ve had a long time to perfect that. The new model 3 refresh looks good imo tho.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I need a truck and a minivan. Feels like I'll be waiting another 10 years before the EV space for those vehicles matures to the point of trustworthiness.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

7. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

The Rimac Nevera technically has the EV Nurburgring now with a time of 7:05.
    https://insideevs.com/news/682524/rimac-nevera-sets-nurburgring-lap-record/

But it's 10x the price of the Model S Plaid.

8. Sajan

Sajan Member

Space Ghost likes this.
  9. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Its too bad Chrysler has reliability issues because the Pacifica PHEV is an awesome minivan that has surprisingly good EV range for a PHEV (and great mileage in Hybrid mode).

Sajan likes this.
  10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

It's my #1 candidate right now. It's pretty much the only vehicle Chrysler makes worth a half a ****.

11. Sajan

Sajan Member

my sister is looking for one too and she keeps asking me about the carnival and pacifica......but i told her not to touch a chrysler with a 10 ft pole.

probably going to end up with a Sienna.

Space Ghost likes this.
  12. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

The used market here for Pacifica PHEVs is pretty nice because no one trusts those things. Nicely optioned Pacificas go for 27000-30000 USD. A Sienna Hybrid will cost at least $10000 more.

We're expecting another child and I'm so tempted but I just can't trust Chrysler.

13. CXbby

CXbby Member

I didn’t claim that they do, just that model s it’s no longer just a 0-60 gimmick , as shown by their previous Nürburgring record.

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Ford and GM can use the Tesla charging network. Most of these makers are selling their EV's at a loss, the Mach-E is pretty good.

15. Bandwagoner

In this video the Turbo S won 2 out of 3 and didn't get gapped once. The one he lost was when he didn't time the light. WTF are you talking about.

any teenager with a 2018 plus mustang 5.0 and a stage II whipple would walk a plaid x 60-130

desihooper likes this.
  16. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Watch the top end. In each of the races, Plaid is pulling harder than the Turbo. For the Turbo it becomes a case of reaching the quarter mile marker before Plaid catches up.

Even the reviewers are shocked that its the plaid that is pulling harder on top end.

And this is the heavier Plaid X. Plaid S will beat it 3 out of 3 times.

And dont bring **** Mustangs into the equation. No self respecting human being would want to be caught dead in a Mustang. That's block worthy offense to me.

#2376 Zboy, Sep 6, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2023
    Space Ghost likes this.
  17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Dude literally says, 'he's gapping me'.

Zboy likes this.
  18. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

It was Tesla's marketing strategy in the beginning...and it worked. Now that the average person is picking up EV's, range, charging and safety are the new metrics.

Ring times.... *yawn*

19. Bandwagoner

he isn't gapped. There is no gap in the video, and Porsche won 2/3

20. Bandwagoner

It didn't get gapped. The Porsche won the quarter and it would smoke the Plaid X in the Texas Mile. So you are hanging your hat on a small in between of 100 to 130 where it slightly inches a non-tuned Turbo S.

in your statement "To put it simply, even on highway speeds you can overtake anything but nothing can overtake you if you dont want it to lol" Most of the guys wanting to do 60-130 pulls are teenagers with dirt cheap cars that will walk an X on the big end.