1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will happen with Reggie Bush faces the Texans 11/18?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by emjohn, Nov 5, 2007.

?

What happens Nov 18?

1. Bushs piles up big numbers and embarrasses the Texans

30 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. Bush puts up numbers, but Texans win

10 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. Bush has an average game, Saints win

44 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. Texans crush Bush and the Saints

59 vote(s)
    36.9%
  5. A Texans fan jumps unto the field and murders Bush, ending the drama

17 vote(s)
    10.6%
  1. emjohn

emjohn Member

Maybe I'm being unduly pessimistic about this, but while Andre and Schaub should be back to help out the offense, I'm worried about Reggie Bush going berserk on us in Reliant and reigniting the media nightmare.

I'm worried about this for reasons beyond the fear of it taking place:
    -It's tough to deny that NO and Bush have been picking up steam recently, and the Saints almost seem to get off on forcing Bush plays whenever they get into scoring position.

-There's one thing our defense does well, and that's plug the gaps for rushes up the gut. The one thing New Orleans offense avoids? Runs up the gut.

-Our OLBs have piss poor range and struggle to contain sweep and stretch runs, screen passes, etc. See the MoJo explosion in Jacksonville for the best example. With Dunta gone, we're even more vulnerable in the flat. How does Reggie find most of his success?

Basic point being, we match up horribly on defense in regards to Bush's game. Add to that his obvious motivation to humiliate us for passing over him, and I fear a career outbreak coming....

Thoughts? Angry rebuttals?

#1 emjohn, Nov 5, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

i dont see him doing much on the ground. But saints should, and probably will, be dinking and dunking down the field all day. Faggins and the rookie bennet (i like bennet, but opposite faggins is scary) at CB?! :eek:

3. JeopardE

JeopardE Member

If option #5 doesn't win this poll I'm gonna be pissed. :)

4. Desert_Rocket

Desert_Rocket Member

The saints started out 0-4. Bush was playing below average. The Bush haters (The Cat, etc...) piled on heavily. Deuce got hurt, the Bush haters piled on even more, saying "Bush has to carry the load now, he isn't a real running back, blah blah".

Now the saints are 4-4. Bush is running the ball well and scoring touchdowns. As far as RB duties are concerned, he is carrying the load. The O-line is blocking better and Brees has time to throw.

The Bush haters need to eat some crow right now. Saints are looking like a playoff team again. Cat? Where are you?

5. weslinder

weslinder Member

Haven't watched much, have you?

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

he has run better but he certainly is getting his touches...But you said it yourself, the o-line is playing better too.

he has scored 3 TDs, 1 running....hasnt had over 100 yards rushing yet or over 20 carries. He's doing better but hardly setting the league on fire.

Brees is looking much better and their defense has stepped it up a little.

7. Nick

Nick Member

After watching Adrian Peterson and Joseph Addai, Reggie Bush is about as insignificant in the world of superstar NFL running backs as the Texans are insignificant in the world of AFC south contenders.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

Drew Brees is going to skullf*ck our secondary.

9. The Cat

The Cat Member

I didn't call out the Saints for being a terrible team, so the Saints being 0-4 or 4-4 makes no difference. I called out Reggie Bush for not being a good running back. He's still not.

Bush is halfway through his second season. He's rushed 113 times for 434 yards, for a mediocre at-best YPC of 3.8 with three touchdowns. He has two touchdowns receiving. In his eight games, he's topped 4.2 YPC twice, and he's only topped 3.2 YPC three times all season. In his last three games, he's rushed for 72 yards, 64 yards and 54 yards.

In addition, Bush wasn't merely supposed to be good. He was supposed to be great. Transcendent. A star. An absolute slam dunk No. 1 overall pick, and you're an idiot to think of anyone else. Instead, he's a shell of other first round picks in the last couple of years, such as Adrian Peterson, Joseph Addai and Maurice Jones-Drew.

You're expecting me to eat crow based on Bush having 434 rushing yards with three touchdowns and a 3.8 YPC at the midpoint of the season? Are you kidding me? I'm right here, and my point is continuing to be proven with each passing week.

10. weslinder

weslinder Member

Wes Welker is a better player right now than Reggie Bush.

11. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Good point! If anyone wants to see what a stud rookie running back is...they just need to look at who's running the ball in Minnesota...That's a star. Bush right now wasn't worth a #2 pick.

12. emjohn

emjohn Member

To butt in, I didn't put this out to query whether or not Bush was great, worth our #1 pick, or anything other than what he was going to do when we meet in week 11.

It stands out to me that our weaknesses on D line up perfectly with the strengths in his game.

Evan

13. weslinder

weslinder Member

I'd be really, really suprised if Reggie Bush had a breakout game against the Texans. It's not like they're horrible against the run (21st, but in a big pack of mediocre teams), and it's certainly not like Bush is a good running back. The Texans have kept a lot better running backs than Reggie Bush in check.

14. Desert_Rocket

Desert_Rocket Member

When Duece went down, you said Bush wouldn't do anything. Now you are posting number for the first 4 games and not the last 4. Post his numbers over the past 4 games and then eat your crow.

I agree that he is nowhere near where Petersen is as far as running backs are concerned and I agree he was overhyped as the can't miss #1 pick, but you act like he can't do anything. You also said the saints were done when Deuce went down, becuase Bush couldn't carry the load.

Keep in mind the saints o-line is one of the worst in the league. Bush is holding his own where many of you said he would fail. That isn't debatable.

15. Nick

Nick Member

Reggie Bush did not change the game of football, nor did he make Houston fans regret that they never drafted him, when many said he would... that isn't debateable.

#15 Nick, Nov 5, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  16. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

bush may go for 40-50 rushing. 50-60 yards receiving....although i am a bit worried with the secondary getting burned so he could break one for a big gain.

regardless. i was never upset that the texans passed him...and i am still not

17. Desert_Rocket

Desert_Rocket Member

I agree.

But, Cat makes posts like Bush is the worst RB in the NFL and always brings up the fact that he isn't a true running back, can't carry the load, and points to his low YPC. And Bush is doing just fine now that Deuce is out of the lineup and looks to be getting stronger each week. Cat needs to eat his crow.

18. Desert_Rocket

Desert_Rocket Member

Your incorrect spelling of debatable isn't debatable. :p

19. The Cat

The Cat Member

When did I say Bush was the worst running back in the NFL? Deuce was injured in the first quarter of the Titans game. Here's Reggie's performance since that point:

Titans: 7 carries for 15 yards, 2.1 YPC
    Panthers: 21 carries for 67 yards, 3.2 YPC
    Seahawks: 19 carries for 97 yards, 5.1 YPC
    Falcons: 17 carries for 54 yards, 3.2 YPC
    Niners: 10 carries for 64 yards, 6.4 YPC
    Jaguars: 17 carries for 72 yards, 4.2 YPC

He's had essentially six games to prove himself since Deuce's injury. In those games, he's hit 100 yards zero times. He's broken 4.2 YPC (around the average for a starting NFL back) twice, and of those two times, one happened (Niners) when he got injured... further enhancing the durability question. So really, he played one full game where he broke 4.2 YPC. Wow.

Of those six games, three have featured a putrid 3.2 YPC or lower... that's half the time! He's carried it more than 20 times once. How is this carrying the load, doing fine and "getting stronger"? This is mediocre production, which is exactly what I and many others have said about him for more than a year now.

20. The Cat

The Cat Member

He is failing. He's not the star player -- or even the good player -- that many of his supporters think he is. Is he the worst running back in the league? No, but I never said that, and neither did anyone else. He's mediocre, which is a far cry from his hype, a far cry from being the No. 2 pick in a loaded draft (his production mirrors a quality third-rounder at this point) and a far cry from what you make him out to be.