1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What were you doing when...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Another Brother, Oct 10, 2005.

1. superden

superden Member

berkman slam
    i was in the apartment with my roommate watching. the whole game i was thinking to myself...a grand slam could make this game. i never thought that type of thinking would work.

ausmus's hr
    my roommates were wondering why bagwell wasnt pinch hitting. i was kinda confused too, but i told them ausmus was clutch. they kinda gave me a funny look (he did only hit 3 hrs this yr) and then ausmus lays one them. i looked at them and they were like...okay you were right.

luke's foul ball
    my friend (she's from st louis and a HUGE cards fan) called me and asked if she could come watch the game. we kinda think she is bad luck (i took her to one of the games at mmp when we played the cards this yr and we lost, she would watch a few games with us and whenever she was around we would lose. i.e. she comes in game 1 and andruw jones hits the homer. when she left we started scoring. she watched the last game til we were down 6-1, when she leaves is when the berkman slam and ausmus homer. now tell me that isnt bad luck...) so i didnt really want her to come. she came anyways...that is when luke scott hit his foul ball. we promptly blamed her.

burke's walkoff
    my roommates and i seriously thought that clemens was going to homer (or secretly hoped). well when he struck out we saw burke come up. my last famous words were....well, you're capable of a homer.

2. elrond

elrond Member

I'm working in Taiwan currently so when the game started, it was already 1am. Since my tv is broken at the minute, I took a tip from the guys in the other thread and started up the KTRH live feed before the game started to see if it would stay up. Lo and behold, it was going and things were good. I was in the middle of doing a HDD swap for my friend's Apple ibook (bigger pain in the ass then I could have imagined), and listening to the game at the same time. As the game went on and the score was stuck at 6-1 with Hudson cruising, I figured there was no way we were coming back. However, after the Berkman slam I started getting that feeling, you guys know the one. Anyways, by the time Ausmus came up to bat, I was wondering why Bagwell wasn't pinch-hitting but looks like leaving Ausmus in was the right decision after all.

At this point I expected the game to end pretty quickly within a few innings at the most, but it kept on dragging and by the time the 15th inning rolled around it was already 530am. Since I had some folks coming over, I figured it was about time for me to go to sleep, so it wasn't until I woke up and found out that Clemens had gone into pitch 3 innings and the Burke had hit the walk off. Truly amazing game.

3. IROC it

IROC it Member

I got home from church, after lunch, had forgotten the game was even happening, and took a nap.

When I got up to go back to church by 6pm, it still hadn't dawned on me that the game was going on.

So, I'm at church, sitting at the drums during a worship song and my wireless begins to vibrate (thank goodness I'd remembered to silence it)... A quick check of the caller ID to see if it was an emergency, but it was just a friend from South Texas that I was certain had forgotten that I was in church... I gave it the "busy signal message." He didn't leave a voice mail. Nope, no emergency.

When I got home, there was a message on my land line... it was my friend singing, "Houston Astros" to the old Oilers tune... He says, "They did it again!" And hung up. It was at that moment, around 9:17pm that I remembered that game 4 was that afternoon... I frantically turned the channels, but found nothing.

Finally in the little blurp about the upcoming halftime show on the ESPN sunday night NFL game, Berman said a sentence or two about the 'Stros winning "in 18." I ran into the living room (as we were at the dining room table with the TV on in the living room) only to miss the clip...

Halftime. I saw some snippets of the highlights, and actually got teary-eyed. Partly because I missed it all, partly because we have another shot at the WS, and partly because I was glad I hadn't sat through the stress of it all. (they did it without me...)

Then, I logged onto the BBS, read like 25 pages of the "Astros vs. Braves" thread, picking up where I'd last read... I could feel the tension, the desperation, the shock, the excitement, and more tension, then the sheer jubilee in the posts. Once I saw the coverage on SportsCenter, I was just speechless, giggling on the recliner... I stayed up past the NFL Primetime show just to watch the highlights on SportsCenter again.

I'm really planing to watch the "instant classic" presentation on Tues. at noon... I'll tape it at least...

If I remember it's on. :D

4. Austin70

Austin70 Member

From the 1st to 8 inning I was laying down in bed just watching, so in the 8th I get up and go to my comp and check my fantasy football team. Then Berkman hits the granny and I stay there for the last 10 innings, then in the middle of the 18th I tried something different, I got up to take a piss. Later on I read the game thread that someone said try something different, well I did.

5. A-Train

A-Train Member

I was at Astroworld on Sunday...We were at the Viper when the Astros were down 6-1, and my friend said, "They're going back to Atlanta". Right before we got on the coaster, Berkman hit the slam.

We were just about to get on Batman: The Escape when someone on the car yelled, "Astros won!". Everybody in line started cheering...

6. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Member

I was at my GF`s parents farm outside Omaha helping out since its harvest and we came into eat around 5pm and I watched the 10th through the 18th. It was awesome......The Rocket was amazing and Burke became a trivia answer. Great game, I miss going to MMP

7. eric.81

eric.81 Member

I was bartending! I work at BW3's in the Village and I was one of the guys working the bar area! I'm sure some of you were there, damn that was crazy. Anyway, they wouldn't let us leave until the game was over. My shift was supposed to end at 4 and the game was "supposed" to end at 3:30. Needless to say I didn't leave until 6:30 or 7. It was a great environment to watch the game in though. I'll never forget it. I felt like I was as exhausted as the players since I had to work straight through that game. It was great though. Everyone at the bar was into every pitch. Except some loser in a Cowboy's hat.

8. ths balla

ths balla Member

at the game sitting in the crawford boxes for my first playoff game ever with my little bro........greatest game ever :D

9. Sonny

Sonny Member

Had the bigscreen on ESPN HD since 11am watching the NFL pregame and then the Astros. Ran split screen with the Astros and Bears(nfl package) until the Bears coughed it up.

By the time the 18th inning rolled around I had a house full of neighbors and we were all going crazy.

One of those things I'll never forget, just like the Kiss of Death and ClutchCity - Amazing.

10. RAS

RAS Member

After church, I watched the game on my big TV in the living room since I had the house to my self. Then in the top of the 8th I realized that the previous games I had watched in my bedroom (small TV) they won and the one time I did watch it in the living room (game 2) they lost. So I quickly went to my bedroom and once Berkman hit the grand slam I stopped switching channels, from the Texans to the Astros, in fear I might jinx them. I watched the rest of the game in my bedroom and went crazy with every big play. It was an awesome game.