1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What were you doing when...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Another Brother, Oct 10, 2005.

1. TigerBait

TigerBait Member

Lance Berkman hit the slam:

I was down the third base line, a little to the left of Ensberg, in the 2nd row.

Watched it wiz above my head and then I proceeded to jump up and down.

Brad hit the HR:

I won't lie, I thought it was over. I ran up the stairs to the bathroom and "went" real quick and then ran back, while I was walking back to my chair Brad hits the ball I look over at my friends and say "Holy ****!"

It hit off the wall, my hands, that were praying to god above my head, quickly came down because me and everyone around me thought it was just a extra base hit.

I turned to one of my firends and said, "What the ****, why is Brad jogging, (I turn to Brad) ****ing run!"

I soon realize that yes it was a HR and I could go crazy again.

When Luke came close:

Wow from where I was sitting, there was no question in my mind it was out.
    Mabye the whole hysteria of the moment that we just won the game clouded my judgment, but myself and everyone around me thought for sure it was out.

I was hugging, slapping hands, you know, cool stuff like that. Then they called it a foul ball and I just stood there with my arms raised and my shoulders shrugged as to say "What the hell".

Clemens-

By this time me and my friends had moved to open seats by my Uncle and parents, they were located behind homeplate,barely to the left, and about 5 rows up (awsome seats). I saw Roger warming up and told everyone so, but my friend seemed assured that it was Pettitte. Not only was he too bulky to be Pettitte I knew that Andy wasn't even there at the time.

When he came out to pinch-hit the crowd went wild, this might have been just as loud as when Burke hit the HR.

He laid down a bunt and and everyone continued to go crazy as he walked back into the dugout.

While there were some relatively frustrating innings to follow, it was really a treat to watch Roger work. I couldn't believe what he was doing considering all the outside attributes (age, rest, situation, etc.)

The 18th-

Im sure most of the people in the ballpark suspected Roger to hit a HR even more than Burke hitting one, Ensberg realistically.

It caught me totally off gaurd and once he hit it my body went numb as I was being pushed around in a moshpit type fiasco.

I got on top of my chair and turned around and got absolutely showered by confetti, and it was great. I felt like the king of the world.

I ended up staying with my group until all the players went in, and they provided us with some intertainment even though watching the greatest playoff game ever was entertaining enough.

Man I love this team.

#21 TigerBait, Oct 10, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2005
  2. Miguel

Miguel Member

Do you by any chance have a TV capture card? :)

3. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Miguel, I love the effort you are putting into getting the whole game. If you ever do, can I request a torrent of it, or I will mail you a tape/DVD whatever you need so that I can get a copy.

I like baseball games, especially when I am there live. I can watch them on TV but don't usually watch that many of them until the playoffs. Even ones that the Astros win, I would almost never watch again. It doesn't have the same replayability IMO as basketball.

But that game, I could watch a million times. I will want to hold on to it forever and just watch it periodically. It was such an amazing amazing thing.

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Member

What is up with everyone thinking Clemens was going to hit a homerun? I never thought that in a million years. Those odds are worse than the lottery.

5. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Member

I woke up at 11:45am, just in time for the game... went to my "recreational room" (think two computers, big tv, dvds, surround sound, mini fridge, etc) and turned on the game at 12:00 and sat in my computer chair... and didn't get up for 6 hours until I jumped around like a moron after each blast. During the entire time of the game I just had the feeling that we were going to come out on top, and I absolutely loved every moment of it.

Many of you who post regularly in Astros threads are aware of my "positive" outlook when it comes to this team, and I didn't doubt them one bit... blind faith. Baseball is my love, the Astros are my team and all other sports and teams come in second. I remember going to the Astros games when I was 5 all dressed up in my T-Ball uniform chanting "CRUUUUUUUUUZ" and the like... and I've been chanting for the Stros ever since.

How special is it that Phil Garner, Jose Cruz and Nolan Ryan were all on the Astros in game 6 in 1986 and were all on site for our redemption from that moment? Every part of that game showed the class and style of this organization and the city of Houston. Players and Fans (yes, Houston fans) giving it their all for 18 innings, sacrificing themselves for the good of the team...

The moves of Phil Garner, a man who has done more in one and a half seasons then his predecessors could do in over 40 years... hopefully you've all learned not to question the method to his madness, the man knows what he is doing. The gutsiness of Dan Wheeler and Roger Clemens, and the humbleness of Clemens to say "How about the kid?" And the kid's answer to how it did it... "Prayer."

Funny, but the prayer came through for me too ;-)

6. TigerBait

TigerBait Member

All I was saying I think people expected Clemens to hit a HR just about as much as they expected Burke to hit a HR. In other words, it wasn't very expected at all.

7. MadMax

MadMax Member

i have to say, it crossed my mind. it's because of who roger is. he's larger than life. it wouldn't have surprised me at all.

hell, even garner said he thought roger might do it.

8. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Member

Rocket has become like Paul Bunyan. He's more legend than man now.

9. MadMax

MadMax Member

give it 10-20 years...and it will be even more so.

10. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Member

He has never hit an HR as a professional ballplayer.

11. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Berk hr - couch
    Ausmus - hadn't moved from said couch
    Clemens comes in for relief work - moved from said couch, but only long enough to get a mountain dew
    Bottom of the 18th, Burke blast - in the shower, getting ready for a job interview dinner :(

Watched six hours of the game, stopped watching in the middle of the 18th. It sucked.

There were some guys from the company I'm interviewing with that left the game in twelfth to be at the dinner. I bet they were pissed.

12. swilkins

swilkins Member

At the Texan's game screaming F bombs. :mad:

At Smoky Bones with my wife, eating their St. Louis Ribs and having a few Buds. St. Louis was very tasty to eat. Ironic for the upcoming series.

At home helping my son work on his truck. I had the game blasting from my truck. I eventually killed my battery and got a jump from my wife. 18 innings will do that to many trucks.

13. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

He spent most of his career in the AL, so that's not really telling. He does hit .200 which ain't bad, and other pitchers have hit them over the years. And he was facing a guy who was pitching in college in May. I thought about it. Loved it when he took that huge first cut. Strange things have happened before...

14. dskillz

dskillz Member

When Berkman hit the Grand Slam I was walking back to the tailgate from the Texans game. A lady was listening to the game on her headphones and just started screaming. We asked what was going on and she told us about the HR. But honestly, the crowd was still in such a shock from the Texans BS, we didn't say much.

For the Ausmus HR, we were in the Yellow Lot gathered around a TV with about 20 strangers, but the TV sucked so bad that we mainly were just listening to the sound.

For the rest of the game we gathered around a better TV with the game blaring out of most of the cars that were left at the tailgate.

15. Dave2000

Dave2000 Member

Berkman's Slam:

in my car on I-45 North intersecting 610N on the way to work listening to the radio. I pumped my fist, shouted my ass off in the car and looked at other cars to see if i was the only one, and i was. :p

Ausmus' HR:

At work listening to the radio, jumping out of my seat. Im a supervisor at work, so I can do that.... :p

Burke's HR:

Ditto. Jumped my ass off up and down the aisles at work, high fived one of my techs that was listening with me and looked at the boards to see everybody's reaction.

16. weakfromtoday

weakfromtoday Member
    Supporting Member

Was sitting on my brother's couch for the entire game. I had just called a lady friend, who was stuck at work all day and was in the middle of saying..

"Yeah...and this game has been on for 6 hours! It's in the 18th inning and.....OH MY GOD!!! BURKE JUST HIT A HOME RUN!!! LET ME CALL YOU BACK LATER!!!!"

Then, proceeded to high five my brother about 10 times and then we both layed flat out on the living room floor in shock as the post game interviews were taking place.

17. r-fan-since-81

Did you gain some weight or what??

18. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Member

I was at the game for all of the moments. After each homer I was jumping around like a little kid, hugging and slapping high fives with complete strangers... in another thought, I think the win has finally set in. I mean every time I think about I get goose bumps. I can only imagine what the rest of this season has to bring.

19. Frodo

Frodo Member

watched the whole game at home with my brother and father... :)

20. AMS

AMS Member

from the first to the 9th was at work, asking all the customers how we were doing

from the 11th to the 18th was watching/listening on the radio

:D

the 17th inning i kinda stepped outside, and got back right before burkes at bat, and BOY AM I GLAD I GOT TO WATCH THAT...