1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[What We Lack] Facilitators on Offense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DarkHorse, Oct 29, 2014.

1. jedicro

jedicro Member

How far does that go? Would you rather have a consistent 7 and 2, or an inconsistent 12 and 4? There's a pretty big difference there, even if the latter is more up and down.

2. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

We can create by MOVING THE BALL AROUND.

2 games in, 2 GAMES and already threads coming up with we are not a good team and what needs to change.. c'mom man. Can we play 25 games and then pass judgement? I'm sure Morey has his eye on the team and his ear to the street for potential available players we could trade for. Let's let these guys play together and see what they can do.

1 person likes this.
  3. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

As weird as it will sound, I actually would take the 7 and 2, because that player will not try to do too much out there...and when it comes to our bench, reliability means much more to me personally.

4. Purvis2Short

Purvis2Short Member

This is one of the reasons why I believe that they should have tried to reclaim Aaron Brooks. He can score, bring the ball up, and facilitate. He had a productive game with the Bulls last night. I think Canaan would be excellent in this roll if McHale gives him a little more latitude on offense.

5. JesusAllen

JesusAllen Member

People have a problem with Lin, it was mainly do to his over popularity and his large contract. Lin would be perfect on this team , if he was getting paid properly which is like 3-6 mil. The man averaged 12/4/2 45% 35% last season. That would amazing off our bench with papa and terry hitting shots, if he was paid properly.

but unfortunately that is not the case. So i think bynum would be a great pick up for us. but i cant see morey making that move. We really need a better back up center tho. I like black , but he is just not back up material at this point. I love bev but he isnt starter material, he is an elite role player , he is the best we have right now.

To conclude I believe if Canaan can start to contribute, terry and Pap keep it up. Dmo starts to show us something and we find a better back up for howard, our bench will look really good.

6. Play07

Play07 Member

LOWRY had 10 assist and 0 turnovers last night.

7. Play07

Play07 Member

aaron brooks looks good also

8. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

Nelson also looked good the other night

9. CCorn

CCorn Member

So... When are we signing Garnett?

10. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I don't think this team lacks play making anymore than it did last season. It's only two games in but it is looking like Kostas can be a play maker to the level of Parsons if given 38 minutes a game like Parsons was. I also think a combination of Terry and Canaan can make up for Lin or at least get very close.

And I don't understand why people don't like the idea of Harden being the pg in clutch situations. He shot terribly last night but Kostas and Ariza lived off of him setting them up. A distributing Harden with 3 point shooters like Terry and Ariza on the floor is a nightmare for other teams. It's basically what LeBron has been doing for so many years.

11. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

We should have got Nelson or even Ramon Sessions instead of wasting time and money on scrubs like Ish Smith and best defensive big in Europe in Dorsey.

12. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I don't think they are hearing you.

The spurs are the perfect example of why good basketball is better than a facilitator. Movement is not a person. Standing around watching the "facilitator" is not good basketball. What I saw in the first two games was better ball movement and with success it will be contagious.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Ball movement is important, but I don't see having a person good at facilitating as a detriment to ball movement. I'm not a fan of Rondo, but if he is healthy and doesn't cost too much (granted the two main reasons I don't want him), he could help out especially when Harden is off the flow.

14. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

edited down, but disagree that we miss parsons, as we wouldn't have nearly as good game defense, ( Ariza and Papa K !) with him here. We have not lost one drop of scoring without GQ> And Lin ? Can we stop talking about that turnover bench player please ?

Of course a trade/trades are coming ! Season has just begun !

Go Rockets !

15. jscmedia

And we ate bbq chicken ! :grin:

16. jscmedia

12 points ? yawn.
    \
    I notice his turnovers are not included. His popularity has nothing to do with being joyful he is banished to LaLA land. He was a exploding cigar. And a bench playing cigar at that. How long before Byron Scott says: "I've seen enough ! " :eek:

17. jscmedia

Oh I do ! Reliability beats exploding cigars every time !

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lin was a playmaker with a lot of flaws. Losing him isn't the most horrible thing.

Not having any other playmakers than your top scorer is the bigger problem.

We need a point guard badly.

19. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I completely agree with the Spurs being the ideal, and completely invalidating my premise. But let's be honest with ourselves, you're not going to get a Spurs type plug and play system with McHale at the helm and Morey calling the shots.

The Rockets approach winning with a "talent solves all problems" mentality, like it or not. And to their credit, Morey is among the best as spotting talent - especially undervalued, cost-effective talent.

But maximizing talent is a very different approach than the system/culture approach that the Spurs have taken. I ultimately believe that the Spurs system is more effective, if you have the anchor of talent to back it up.

In theory, the Rockets could bring in a system coach and try to run their organization that way since they do have a foundation of Harden and Howard to build on, but I think they feel they are at least one major piece away talent-wise to even consider that. In addition, McHale seems to have some unusual immunity, which makes me think he's just a Moneyball figurehead like Art Howe was, or maybe that they legitimately feel that they need to keep him around for Dwight (or someone else's) benefit. I have a hard time believing that the organization believes that McHale is the best coach for the job in the traditional sense. Maybe there was more going on behind closed doors when Adelman was here that we're not privy to - differences of opinion with Morey and stuff. I don't know.

My guess is that the Rockets just want to live and die by their analytics, and McHale is a likable enough "players coach" for the players that is also completely willing to go along with whatever Morey wants them to do from an analytics standpoint. Somebody like Van Gundy or Adelman is going to be a lot more set in their ways.

20. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

As much as PnR is emphasized in this offense, I really think baseline cuts should be emphasized a little more. We have more consistent players who can space the floor this season and it'll keep the defense guessing how much to pressure these guys. Right now we're too predictable and not shifting the defense as much as I'd like to. But hey we're only 2 games in and I'm feeling good about what I've seen so far.