1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What was your honest thoughts on how this season would play out.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dc1985, May 3, 2014.

1. HiroProtagonist

at the beginning of the season i was seriously expecting this team to go to the finals and possibly win it all. yeah i'm a homer. then the season started and i saw that while they are great team with lots of talent, the defense just wasn't there. and as the season wore on i realized this defense wasn't going to be resolved anytime soon. to me this a coaching issue. so i settled on expecting them to get to the west conf. finals.
    going out in the first round with the amount of talent we have is mind boggling.

2. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Home court and advance into the second round.

3. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

75% 2nd round. 15% for 1st round exit and WCFs.

i cant fathom how this roster didn't get to the second round.

4. jamphus

jamphus Member

Judging from how McHale and Harden played halfway through the season.
    I knew we'd stop at first round.
    Unfortunately it's true now.

5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Pretty much like this, although I would've liked to see better playoff performances from the guys. Thought we'd just see inexperience, but this round showed serious flaws in our team.

6. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I might be over exaggerating but that stretch after the All-star break and especially during that week where we beat the heat, Pacers and The blazers I though we might really have chance reaching the Finals.

7. rocketurk

rocketurk Member

I was hoping for the WCF, expecting a 2nd round exit.

8. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Before the season, second round exit. After seeing the seedings going into playoffs. I thought we had a legitimate change at the WCF.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

2nd round, with WCF under a great matchup. This season was considered a great matchup though.

Bleh

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

About where we are, tbh.

The team needs time to gel, players need to mature, and we need to change some pieces, I expect much more next year.

DD

11. langal

langal Contributing Member

Did not see going out because of the clusterf*** at the end.

who is a worse defensive coach - D'Antoni or McHale?

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i posted several dozen times here since november that this team would go absolutely nowhere and that this season was destined to be a waste with mchale as head coach. so unfortunately the season played out precisely how i had predicted.

13. basketballholic

When we signed Howard and didn't trade Asik before training camp I thought we would emerge from training camp as a lock-down defensive team playing Twin Towers with Kelvin Sampson getting our perimeter guys to scramble hard at the 3-point line.

I figured we would alternate this lineup configuration and style by going small as soon as one of the bigs needed a blow. And we would then play small-ball with mismatches from the bench.

I thought we would be better than everybody in the West except possibly OKC. And I was expecting a #2 or #1 seed and at least going to the Conference Finals.

I am definitely disappointed in this season. I feel like we missed it this year by not playing through the growing pains of the Twin Towers early in the season. There was a lack of commitment from McHale (and obviously Asik) that hurt us deeply. Even after the trade deadline when it was obvious Asik wasn't leaving we didn't implement the TT and work out the kinks then.

In my opinion, this whole season was a missed opportunity on so many fronts. Not only did we miss an opportunity to go deeper in the playoffs but we also missed on our opportunities to make trades and we also missed on our opportunities to improve trade values and trade flexibility going forward. DMo's trade value went backwards. Jones' trade value is up for debate but I seriously doubt if we can get a bottom first round draft pick for him. I know some will argue til the cows come home that Jones upgraded his trade value but in my humble opinion, especially with his play in the playoffs it didn't happen. Asik's trade value went below the radar with his pouting at the beginning of the season. We didn't move Lin which we desperately needed to do to maximize his trade value and give us the greatest trade flexibility going forward. We also lost the opportunity to develop Canaan at the NBA level because we couldn't move Lin. Canaan is a better player than Lin and if we could have developed him at the NBA level he would have been a nice off-the-bench playmaker/scorer behind Harden....a much better shooter than Lin and a much better ball handler than Lin, just overall much more efficient than Lin is. But because we couldn't move Lin out...none of that happened.

I am disappointed in the season.

#53 basketballholic, May 4, 2014
    Last edited: May 4, 2014
  14. kastuul

kastuul Member

If the best SG+C and elite defender things are for real,
    they should have win everything.

Can't believe so many fans buying that ****s.

15. SirKen

SirKen Member

It is almost creepy how it pretty much went exactly the way I imagined it.

16. StevieCrossover

I thought rockets get knocked out in the 2nd round. Guess ill have to wait for next year. Hopefully Comcast makes a deal. Live in houston, but cant watch the game.

17. bmd

bmd Member

I wasn't surprised the Rockets had trouble with the Blazers at all. It's not like they dominated them during the regular season.

Regular season:

Game 1: Very early in the season and not a good measure of either team.

Game 2: Nationally televised game on TNT. Aldridge was dominant and the Blazers beat the Rockets fairly easily.

Game 3: Rockets destroyed the Blazers because they were just on fire and couldn't miss. Fluke game.

Game 4: Rockets won in overtime and it took a miracle.

18. bmd

bmd Member

Well, if James Harden was playing like James Harden usually plays, then the Rockets would have easily got to the second round.

Since James Harden was so bad during this series, it's not surprising the Rockets couldn't get out of the first round considering how heavily they rely on Harden. If your team has many weapons, then the team can still win with bad games from a player like Harden. But if your team relies so heavily on a player like Harden, your team will live and die by him.

Now, the team was in the games because Dwight stepped up big time. And thankfully he did, or else this would have been a sweep.

The Rockets need more weapons next season. Harden can't be the man every single night.

19. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

Expected to do better in the playoffs than last year, which I didn't believe was unreasonable considering we acquired arguably the best center in the NBA.

20. dc1985

dc1985 Member

I do expect much more next year. Baring a serious injury to Harden or Howard I expect a WCF appearance at least. I think we are going to do something big this offseason not sure if it's going to be Love or Melo but I think it's going to be a Luol Deng and I would love Kyle Lowry.