1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What was your first job?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bigtexxx, Apr 30, 2012.

Tags:
  1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

....and what did it teach you?

mine was mowing lawns

it taught me the value of hard work, humility and education, in order to not have to do that any longer

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

F-15 Strike Eagle driver.

3. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I was a bouncer at The Mansion. Needless to say that job didn't last long.

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Chappy?

5. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

My 1st job was a steward (dishwasher) at a Johnny Carino's restaurant. After a month or two I got promoted to part time prep cook. It sometimes got so busy that I would be in the middle of washing dirty dishes, then have to go prep some appetizers, salads, etc. It got to the point where the supervisor told me skip washing my hands, and go straight to the food. That's when I decided to quit.

What did I learn?: I learned to never go to restaurants during rush hours, or you might eat food prepped from someone that didn't wash their hands.

True story, brahs.

6. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Selling table cutlery.

it taught me that table cutlery is really hard to sell.

7. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Worked at the Car Wash.

8. liljojo

liljojo Member

Quizno's. Taught me that black people really like chicken, especially if you put honey mustard on it.

And that Subway isn't really that fresh.

9. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

box office at a movie theater.
    customer service sucks. some people are real idiots and assholes.
    hurts standing for 5-6 hours at a time.

10. ballerboy001

ballerboy001 Member

Pimpin. It taught me the power of the pee you es es why.

11. ballerboy001

ballerboy001 Member

Didn't mean to quote

12. stthomsfinest

stthomsfinest Member

Wait Staff at SouperSalad. I had just turned 16 and it felt good to make money. I thought getting paid 2.13 an hour and my main pay would be me hustling for tips was an injustice. I mean if I was wait staff for Red Lobster or something that'd be fine cause I'm pretty sure I'd be raking in some good tips.

But at a buffet? Where all I do is clear tables and refill/serve drinks? Even then I didnt think tipping was neccessary for buffets.

I developed a newfound appreciation for tipping waitstaff and I analyze my waiters closely when I go out to eat because I am looking at myself and would tell how they are feeling in certain situations because I used to be on that side.

13. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

After I got my Schwinn Predator Stolen, I mowed lawns to save up for a Skyway Streetstyler. Taught me to work for what I want & how to save.

First job working for someone else - Sacker at Gerlands Food Fair on Uvalde. Taught me that it was up to me to make my life..not someone else. Saved $1000 which was my down-payment on my first year in college. Worked almost 40hrs a week in college to live.

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Installing closet cabinets in peoples houses with my uncle. It taught me that 20$ got me a lot of toys. And don't pet white people dogs cuz they racist.

15. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

shoe dept oshmans.

yes I like womens feet. yes women lie about their foot size ( their feet are usually bigger than the say)

Also women want to see it in red, blue and yellow and not sure if size is 7, 8, or 9 so bring out ALL 9 boxes because she will damn well try all 9 pairs on.

16. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I washed and detailed cars in my neighborhood.

It taught me the subtle difference between old money and new money. Typically the old money crowd would drive reliable and elegant cars for many years, and they were very polite (one customer was worth nearly a hundred million, yet he started out delivering newspapers back in the day); the new money crowd drove flashy cars, and they loved to micromanage my washing and were generally very rude.

17. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Grocery store bagger. Can't say that it taught me anything at 16, other than how to bag groceries (To this day I hate it when they put 3 items in a bag and I end up with 30 bags )...

but it was fun. And we had lots of cute girls working at this store so it was fun to roam around the front end and flirt with them. A few years later, home from college one summer, I ran into a former supervisor about 8 years older than me. Not a smart girl but had a nice body. Had a chance to hook up with her but I was afraid her b/f would hunt me down and shoot me (seriously). Long story/cool story bro.

18. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

i lied to get a job when i was 15 - joes crabshack - lol only lasted 6 months or so...

but i been working full time ever since.

that job taught me that people will pay $$$ for hookups on tables.

19. Luckkky

Luckkky Member

edwards cinema - usher

taught me how to watch free movies at the theatre for the rest of my life..

20. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

worked at a baseball card shop that dealt in all sports and comics near Almeda Mall... I remember making the smart decision to open up a 1952 pack of baseball cards and try to eat the gum. It basically disintegrated.. but was over 40 yrs old. lol vintage gum you could say..