1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What was the major influence that caused you to become a Rockets' fan?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by UberDork, Nov 9, 2007.

?

What was the major influence that caused you to become a Rockets' fan?

Poll closed Feb 17, 2008.
  1. because they were the first team I watched played

6.1%
  2. because I'm from Houston/nearest team

24.7%
  3. because of Hakeem

12.5%
  4. because of the championship years

5.0%
  5. because of Francis

1.6%
  6. because of Yao

40.0%
  7. because of TMac

4.4%
  8. because of a particular coach (Rudy, JVG, RA etc...)

0.3%
  9. because of Scola

0.1%
  10. other reasons (please specify)

5.4%
  1. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

First of all, DAMN there are alot of Yao fans on this site. Personally I became a bball freak during the championship years, any time before that I was way too young to watch basketball. Now that I'm on BBS, its gotten alot worse and I can't imagine following another team. I was considering moving to California, but I can't stand to be away from my team. Again, wow to the YOF's.

2. jpsamhyz

jpsamhyz Member

Charles Barkley (I'm serious) and Yao.

3. walangjo

walangjo Member

oh yeah, this might be a little unusual coz i know posters hate him and he's been dissing the rockets ever since he retired...

but it's because of charles barkley. :D

4. zhangstein

zhangstein Member

There is nothing wrong to be a YOF. I am one.
    People are fans for different reasons. Some reasons are different from yours, so what?
    Many YOFs are Chinese and they come here to support Yao only. They have never been to Huston, probably can't even find the city on the map easily, they don't have love for the city or the team, YET. Yao is the only thing that link them to the team.
    Maybe one day, when Yao retires from the Rockets and people will have stuck here long enough to have feeling for/affinity to the team itself. Then they will be fans for the Rockets, regardless of YAO.

5. kwik_e_mart

kwik_e_mart Member

You know folks, I hate to say it. When my beloved Vancouver Grizzlies moved to Memphis, I swore to myself not to watch an NBA game again... until Yao came. From there I found my new allegiance in professional basketball... by cheering on for the Rockets (not just Yao alone).

Thanks Yao and thanks Houston!

6. zhao1109

zhao1109 Contributing Member

woo, over 40% because of YAO?!!! Amazing........

7. darnbni99a

darnbni99a Member

#2 and #5 for me...

8. Desert_Rocket

Desert_Rocket Member

Don't underestimate the cash cow.

9. Kornele23

Kornele23 Member

It's in my Blood!

10. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

I Didn't mean for it to sound like there's something wrong with Yao fans. I myself would rather fans have allegiance to the team or to the city. Thats just the best case scenario for me; however, Yao coming to the rockets has brought several fans that wouldn't have given this team a chance before. My hope is that when Yao and Tracy retire, the majority of the fan base will be converted into die hard rockets fans.

11. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

The Round Mound of Rebound

12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They have always been an organization that wanted to win, that means alot to me.....

It would be hard to be a Clipper fan......

13. DreamRoxCoogFan

I think it has to be 1- because of Hakeem, and 2- because of the proximity. I was born in chicago, but moved here later on, so I basically grew up around the Rockets. With Hakeem as a backdrop in my life, I found a guy that I could really look up to, not only because he was an amazing athlete, but also because he was Muslim. His transition to a devout Muslim (during his NBA career, no less) was truly one of the most amazing things that I have witnessed, and watching him hustle back and forth on an NBA court in day games with nothing to eat or drink was truly one of the most inspiring moments in my life. Sure, I probably would have become a Rockets fan anyways, but Hakeem and his journey turned me into a die-hard fan. Thanks Dream, for you will always be one of the greatest influences in my life.

14. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

It was because of JVG. I am a JVG only fan. :D

15. bluerap04

bluerap04 Member

lmao :D

16. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Please tell me you stuck around in the 90's to watch the good teams when Pitino came to town!! That was my basketball baptism. :D

I am sorry you were forced to watch the decline of Joe B and the horrible teams coached by Eddie Sutton. Thankfully I was young and it was before my love for basketball started... so I didn't have to survive it.

Of course we still have the overhype, *cough* Gardner Webb?? *cough*, but its easier to ignore when there is pride in the program by the players who care. ie Chuck ;)

now...

I want to agree this is more than just to "out" the "player only" fans, its interesting to see how people came to care about the Rockets. I find it really nice that some people came to the Rockets through specific players and they are still around rooting for the team and checking this message board.

Good fans pick a team and stick. It's not always easy to do when your team is full of criminals, Bengals, or full of overpaid useless players, Reds, or blows it when a tiny school from North Carolina comes to town and wipes you up and down your home court.

But we stick through the bad so that when the good happens it tastes that much sweeter to us.

:) (sorry this was long!)

17. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

I started watching basketball playing basketball everything that has to do with basketball since yaos first year

something that attracted me and i just came to usa back than

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I cant lie. I didnt read this massive monster thread. I simply saw two things. 1st off. Yao is why the majority of Rockets fans are fans? F that. You are a Yao fan then. And if thats the only reason why you care... Guess what. YOU CANT HAVE HIM THEN. If you follow the Rockets for Yao then you dont get Yao. He's gone. Follow Jianlian.

2nd... Kentucky? I will bleed blue til the day I die or BCG leaves. If you dont love Kentucky then you hate all that is good in this world...Gig em Wildcats or Bearcats or whatever yall say. Rock em jock em Blue Boys...

drunk

dont ban me

godspeed

19. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

I doubt if any Houstonian can find Huston on the map, either.

I don't know many Chinese YOFs, but I do know you are a dork.

20. coldfire

coldfire Member

i am from china, at first the only reason i love rocks is Yao . But now, i love rockets deeply. i love Tmac, i love Francis. i love you clutchfans all. :D