1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What was the major influence that caused you to become a Rockets' fan?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by UberDork, Nov 9, 2007.

?

What was the major influence that caused you to become a Rockets' fan?

Poll closed Feb 17, 2008.
  1. because they were the first team I watched played

6.1%
  2. because I'm from Houston/nearest team

24.7%
  3. because of Hakeem

12.5%
  4. because of the championship years

5.0%
  5. because of Francis

1.6%
  6. because of Yao

40.0%
  7. because of TMac

4.4%
  8. because of a particular coach (Rudy, JVG, RA etc...)

0.3%
  9. because of Scola

0.1%
  10. other reasons (please specify)

5.4%
  1. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

I was taken by my dad to a playoff game in 1993 when we lost to Seattle. The seats were maybe 10 rows up, and seeing at eye level the dream shake was all it took to make me a life long fan. I was maybe 7 or 8 and it was surreal to see the vertical acrobatism that is NBA basketball.

2. caowenyu

caowenyu Contributing Member

for drexler back to 1994-1995

3. matty101

matty101 Member

My reason for following the rockets is actually very bizarre. When i was about 12 years old i was buying a computer game and saw NBA Live 2000 on sale for $10. I thought that was a bargain so i bought the game. When i went home and installed it i had no clue about the NBA or any of the teams so, because i was young, i picked the logo that i liked the best. For some reason the old rockets logo (the one before the current one) stood out to me and i played as them. Ever since then i have followed them and have followed them more and more each year until the point where i watch about 90% of their games from here in Australia. :D

P.S i look back and wonder why i actually liked that logo but hey, i aint complaining, I love my rockets man :D :D

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

wow. 39% because of yao. :eek:

My older brother was a huge rockets fan, as well as oilers, so I just followed his lead. Of course, i grew to love dream but the seed was planted by my brother....wait! not like that ! :eek:

5. BVB09

BVB09 Member

Am I still a YOF? No!!

6. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

My aunt had just moved to Houston back in 1990 due to job relocation. I don't know why but she bombarded me with Houston Rockets gear. After that, I became a fan. Everything else helped strengthen my preference for them over any other team. Unlike most people today I am not a bandwagon fan and when things go tough for the teams I like, I stick with them.

7. nancychang

nancychang Member

It is Yao who leads me to know NBA n crazy for rockets. i didnt pin much hope on him at first, but these years the situation just change a lot. thou sometimes Yao/Rockets do bring me down, im still sooo happy to be a rockets fan~~ :cool:

8. Barak

Barak Member

2000 Allstar weekend, the best dunk contest in the history of the NBA. Well, everyone were excited about Vince, but for some reason, I preferred SF.
    This is how I started watching Rox games...

Also, I really like Yao and his attitude to this game.

9. Drex22

Drex22 Contributing Member

Because Drexler came to town.

10. succubus

succubus New Member

Because of Yao

11. tmac&Yao

tmac&Yao Member

Because of YAO,I love basketball,I love ROX,I love clutchfans bbs!

Wish YAO help rox win the tittle!

12. bloop

bloop Member

I grew up in Kentucky in the 80s and hated hated hated the 'Cats. Every year it was the same thing overhype overhype overhype of how great UK was and every year choking in the NCAA's. Every recruit was touted as the next Larry Bird or Kareem and they were busts year in and year out. This were the days before cable but one Saturday I saw Houston on TV and there was this nimble african guy playing center who made Melvin Turpin and Sam Bowie look like the stiffs they really were. Phi Slamma Jamma was running the court like nothing I'd seen before and you guessed it... that young kid was Akeem Olajuwom. I really liked the idea of this guy who was an immigrant and came over to the US determined to make something of himself. And I LOVED the way he played.

After that I followed this kid's career from afar and when he came to Houston I followed the Rockets whenever I could. After Dream retired I quit caring about the Rockets like 90% of America, but when Yao was drafted I got a similar feeling like I got when I first found out about Akeem.

SO in this order I'm a Dream fan, then a Yao fan, then a Houston fan. This thread is awesome and it's waaaay beyond a YOF-outing thread. In any case when all's said and done I have a suspicion that even self-professed YOF fans will have more of an attachment to the ROX when all is said and done than they themselves realize. You never forget the first team you followed, and for many of those dudes from China the Rockets are their first team even if it was Yao who drew them to Houston.

13. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

In 1985 my dad moved to Houston after my parents divorced. When I visited in the summers, I saw several Astros games. I started watching Oilers and Rockets, as I adopted all 3 teams as my own. When the Oilers left, my intrest focused on the Rockets. Being an Iowa fan, I was very happy when Matt Bullard joined the team. At my college I was the lone Rockets fan during the championships, although I did watch game 7 at a dive bar in Iowa with a stripper from League City. When I moved down here I watched and went to all the games I could!

#153 oomp, Nov 10, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I grew up playing basketball in the late 80s/early 90s

My dad played college ball and was a huge rockets fan

I loved the NBA back then

I didn't really understand that the rockets were "my team" until about 1992 though

I watched Hakeem tear people up, and i'd try to mimick his moves and immitate his work ethic/on court attitude

then came the championships

the greatest playoff performances ive ever seen

i was hooked, forever

15. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Whoo boy... I was voter number 666 on this poll :D

16. stroker

stroker Member

What attracted me to the Rockets was a. The team's longstanding history of having the ability to shoot and attempt 3 point shots at a high percentage and amount which I've seen this concept and ability have a demoralizing effect on the opposition for a number of years, and

b. My love of Dream's total game after he developed his wicked outside shooting ability along with his visciously jaw dropping violent inside game and the uncharacteristic manner that he carried himself. ("We must stay humble but hungry"). The contrast of Dream's visciousness, grace of movement for a big, and being a total gentleman off the court was very attractive to watch from a human and basketball viewpoint.

I've been a hardcore fan for about 15 years now and I'm in LA, and I just wasn't feelin' the post Magic Johnson Lakers at all, so my longtime admiration for the Rocket's 3 point philosophy is what made me become addicted to their style of play. I think the 3 pointer is like the ultimate dagger if constantly inflicted upon the opposition, which the Rockets have always had a history of doing.

17. lunaticrocket

lunaticrocket Rookie

First team I watched play live. It was in the 93-94 season vs the Clippers. Fortunately the Rox won. Otherwise, I would probably be a Clippers fan.

18. Kaze

Kaze Member

Ok, the first team i watched were the Knicks, but i was a clueless kid back then living in new york. The first team i actually actively watched were the Houston Rockets when i moved to Houston back in 1997.

And lol @ Yao fans.

19. Rockets#1fan

Rockets#1fan Member

Tracy Mcgrady is the one reason that i became a rockets fan. And ever since i watched my first rockets game i couldn't stop. But i don't know if i'd be a rockets fan if T-mac's gone.

20. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

I first started watching basketball when in the mid-eighties. Since I lived in El Paso, there wasn't any particular pro team in the vicinity for me to root for. Of course, I HAD to root for a Texas team, and the Rockets were the best of the bunch then, so I started rooting for them. And I've stuck with them ever since...