1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What was Melo's actual 'fair market value' at the beginning of the offseason?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kjayp, Jul 31, 2018.

?

What was Melo's 'Fair Market value' at the beginning of the offseason?

1. >2M - vet min money - that's the most anybody would have paid...

5 vote(s)
    4.9%
  2. 2-6M - MLE money would be a reasonable gamble for at least some teams...

21 vote(s)
    20.4%
  3. 6-10M - he could get low end starter money on at least a couple teams...

41 vote(s)
    39.8%
  4. 10M+ - some bottom feeder team exec would gamble on name recognition to try to excite his fanbase.

36 vote(s)
    35.0%
  1. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

If I had two max cap spaces I would sign two Carmelo Anthony's...true story

2. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

It's all speculation so who knows honestly. Really depends on the team.

Not many teams had a crazy amount of cap space. Most of the deals were either MAX or exceptions.

The deals in between were with bird rights so it's tough to really gauge.

Even Boogie got the MLE and he's in his prime, sure coming off injury but still Rudy Gay got 10M+ last year coming off an achilles.

3. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

GSW wanted a spark plug... not necessarily a center or a power forward.... thats why I say it's not about need of a particular position for a particular team... it's about adding value when the opportunity presents itself... Did anybody look at the GSW roster at the beginning of the off season and say 'Gee they really need to sign Demarcus Cousins to fill that hole in their roster...'

I'm comparing Melo at 34 to Boogie coming off a major achillies injury... both with questions concerning attitude...

The Kings return was based on somebody giving up assets to pay Boogie for the last 1.5 years of his contract ($$$) vs Melo at the MIN for FREE! A lot diff giving up assets and a good amount of cap space on a headcase vs a low investment minimum contract where you could send the guy home... heck, Royce White got a couple 10 day contracts after that whole fiasco...
    No bro... you and I have been discussing interest in Melo at the MINIMUM and who would be interested... all those trade scenarios I laid out are hypotheticals based on him signing a min contract... which is the crux of everything I've been saying... value contract - investment vs potential return (in one form or another)

There will be teams with zero interest (ie the Knicks) but the vast majority of teams would scoop up a 10M/yr player for the vet min all day - regardless of fit or need or whatever else...

4. kjayp

if Dez was offering to play for the min - his phone would be ringing off the hook... imo...

As it is, it may take an injury before he sees another significant payday...

5. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Ok above average.

Listen at 7:20

Morey says you're trying to put as much offense on the floor while ...**pause**.... trying to have an elite or above average defense.

You can tell from his tone that the second part he was hiding something.

But most importantly is Morey vaules offense considerable more than defense.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

im not really getting your interpretation of what he was saying. the rockets have been able to put out great offensive seasons for a couple years now. The difference last year was they finally prioritized their defense and the results showed.

again we've seen when defense wasn't much of a priority in the past. its definitely one now

7. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

I think Morey, like most knowledgable basketball people realize you can get serviceable defense out of a good offensive player easier than you can get serviceable offense out a good defensive player.

Defense is mostly effort then with the right scheme and understanding of where to rotate you'll be fine.

In football its called bend don't break, basically hold them to 3 points. In basketball its about timely stops. If you can get stops at the right times in games while having a high powered offense you can win a lot of games.

Morey is smart as hell, I believe in his vision.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I thought the Rockets were interested last year. We just didn't have enough assets to get him after acquiring CP3.

If I were the Warriors, I'd take Melo over Cousins, probably cheaper too, especially when I knew the Rockets were going after Melo.

9. TheRealAllpro

The difference last year was Chris Paul.

You seem to think that offense and defense are equally important. They are not. Morey clearly said the objective is to get the MOST offense on the floor.

10. jayfree

jayfree Member

[​IMG]

topfive and H-Town Melo like this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

if you're trying to win a championship then yes they are just as important. if you're just happy being some playoff team that goes home early every year then yeah you would see it that way.

nvm the fact that all the significant additions were defensive first players. but apparently thats no difference.

but sure try to interpret morey's he said this and that as you wish.

kjayp likes this.
  12. kjayp

i think they can be/should be equally important as far as winning goes - thats why I loved the tenacity of the d last year... whether its your team scoring 2 points - or blocking a layup on the other end - the swing is the same... thats why nothing drives me crazier than turnstile defense - lol!

Now from an ownership perspective... obviously high flying offense is more entertaining than tight grind it out D and offense will create more excitement and sell more tickets... imo thats why Les hired MDA instead of say JVG...

on the flipside, defensive players usually come quite a bit cheaper than their offensive counterparts...
    That's why I've argued for the last few years that our greatest opportunity to move the needle was on defense...

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The warriors needed a big. That’s why they also reached out to Dwight Howard. Another “untouchable.

If we’re talking about a team that truly wants to win, first there’s has to be a roster need.

Beyond that, Boogie and Melo aren’t comparable in any way right now.

Beyond that GSW are a small unique as they come. As you well know.

Beyond that... a minimum contract for a crappy team with FA space is probably worse for that team. There’s a reason I said $10 million. So there’d be the ability to at least get back something / make a trade happen. See Knicks getting back kanter. The 1 year salary amount doesn’t matter. You’re focused way too much on $$$. It’s irrelevant. Not that you couldn’t potentially trade min contract Melo and get back a draft pick.

As I’ve said multiple times any team can still sign Melo to a vet minimum contract. And as inevitable as the Rockets may be... we’ve heard of other team with interest. Even though that interest made zero sense. And this is Melo. Who seems to be as needy as KD. You can be certain if there were more teams even remotely considering saying “Melo come to us we might not be great but we’ll give you 35 mpg and lots of shots” .. you can be absolutely sure we would have heard of that.

14. TheRealAllpro

Hahaha you are so wrong on this. Why do you think he said add more offense, when we are already great on offense? Why do you think we have the greatest statistical offense of all time and not the best defense? Why was it reported that Morey thinks 3 and D players are commodities?

H-Town Melo likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

hilarious. you're using things like "more offense" and "most".

he clearly said every team youre trying to put as much offense on the floor while putting out an elite to extremely good defense. its clear what narrative you're trying to spin this into. have fun. nothing ive said here in this conversation is wrong. the only thing thats wrong is your extreme exaggeration

16. TheRealAllpro

You didn't answer a single objective I put out there. I'm giving you evidence and you refuse to address it.

I'll give you another one. When Morey became GM in 2007 our defensive rating was better than our offense. In two years it flipped.

If offense and defense were equal then why wouldn't he put a single team out there that had a better defensive rating than its offense?

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

refuse to address what? my orginal post: "i dont think he ever insinuated that. he very much acknowledged needing to be in the upper tier of both.

not average defense. he's gone through that already and you have 0 chance if its just average or worse"

and what did morey specifically say: "every team youre trying to put as much offense on the floor while putting out an elite to extremely good defense."

looks pretty spot on. yet you want to spin it in your own way and apparently your agenda/narrative is offense is the only thing that matters. an exaggerated take. something so simple turned into a dramatic take based off your own personal interpretation

18. TheRealAllpro

answer any of the objectives from my last two posts?

(For the record of course defense matters....just not as much as offense)

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

something so simple turned into a dramatic take based off your own personal interpretation