1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What was Chinese fans' reaction to Yao's Injury?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JohnMatrix, Dec 25, 2006.

1. JohnMatrix

JohnMatrix Member

[​IMG]

What was Chinese fans' reaction to Yao's Injury?

①After i had read the thread "[INJURED] Yao to Miss at Least Six Weeks with Knee Fracture" page by page(finished by 20 pages), i browsed Chinese sports news on the net, both resemble in many ways: shocked at what they saw at the very 1st couple of minutes on TV, felt deep sorrow by hearing him moaning and screaming in a pretty loud and freaky way, filled with anger, sighs of disappointment...

②The most unbelievable posts i've read were gloating over Yao's injury, sarcasm on ROX, etc. All r written in Chinese, internet is a funny and miraculous place, you can never judge sth in natural ways, i know those posts are typed in Chinese, but i do think many of the fans who post these **** are not from China, though freak posts% is very low, 1% at most i guess......u may dislike some players, support a team by favor...but gloating over the opponents' tragedies is another thing, i know its part of the athletics, but i will never do that.

③I caught a glimpse of an article in which described a few famous athletes who suffered from kind of same injuries, volleyball player, tennis player, mostly soccer players. Only one sentence engraved deeply on my mind: Yao's injury was mainly due to an extremity of tiredness.

a bone bruise→6 weeks→badly injured on right shinbone/tibia? OH...no! ! !Hope that would be a flesh wound...

Shin-fracture usually divides into 2 kinds, one is on tibia, the other shinbone fibula, but it is called double-bone-shin-fracture when both tibia and shinbone fibula get fracture, this is a very complex one, could be very bad. If it were double-fracture, the doctor would "plant" armor plate on the fracture part to fix them, as usual, the traditional surgery is: the armor plate will bury beneath muscle laterally, outside of shinbone. The analysis (based on the principles of biomechanics, anatomy and AO technology) showed that strain-part is on the lateral inside of shinbone due to contraction of lateral-outside muscle. The sufferer will be healed completely 12 months later, then the doctor will take out the armor plate stuff, also it will take another 6 weeks for the wounds to heal...but it is hard to tell the exact time, normally wounds would heal sooner if the sufferer were younger, 8 months at least. Surely it is the worst and most difficult situation, Yao's injury is far from there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

According to Rox medic Yao don't need surgery, i guess that his injury was not very bad, it is not necessary to take out bone fragments by surgery, in a situation like this, an ordinary one will walk freely 6-8 weeks later, heal completely in 8-12 weeks. Whereas Yao are in US, sure it will take less time for him to heal over due to many experienced professional doctors and best medical instruments. It is wise for the injured to take different foods at the different healing periods.

In the earlier period (blood swelling), according to Chinese medicine, the 1st thing to do is to make the blood flow in a steady stream etc. Actually this is too important to neglect, the most suggested food are vegetables, soybean, fruits, fish soup, meat and so on, taking spicy/sour/extreme hot/fat food are forbidden, especially fat food.

In the middle period, with swelling vanishing, insipidity changes to supplying of nutritious food, and that heals the wound a lot: bone soup, much more vitamin A, D, calcium, protein...

In the final stage, hen soup, pig bone soup, sheep bone soup, snakehead soup etc.

The injured heals different, Yao Ming is in the prime of life, i am sure he will be healed of shin fracture faster than many of others and we will see him on the court about February even much earlier.

It took me a couple of hours to translate those stuff, i am not a doctor or a cook, i am quite sure that some vocabularies and special terms are not cognizant within my poor reach. i am glad that any of u would post any advice and correction.

PS: m_cable, wnes, pluto, last time u gave me some valuable advice and correction to my post, and i answered back, i hoped u had noticed that. If u had not get a glimpse of my answer, it would be kind of u to take a look. The thread's topic is "Let's nickname Yao!" and here is the hiperlink——http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=122073&page=4

i have never expected my virgin thread post in a way like this. i will take that tragic accident silently, athletics are always filled with different kinds of injuries! Also bad luck...It is useless for me to blame or abuse anybody anymore, not a single word, all i will do is standing by ROX&Clutch much more consistently as many of u do! As 1of Clutch member, nothing gonna let me down even in this very unpleasant moment, Rockets were hurt badly and deeply, but he should stand up! From where he had fallen down and keep on walking like a brave man, though he is an injured man. It seemed that Rockets was down on his luck now and then, or i should say "at all time", as the Chinese Saying goes, "With worst luck and severe sufferings comes great success." i am not a superstitious one, this time im tending 2b.

Anyway, Merry Christmas! My fellow ROX fans.

[​IMG]

2. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

:( ..

Yeah this is what I believe too.. When you're tired your moves are sluggish, more susceptible to injuries.. In this particular situation, I believe Yao COULD have reacted fast enough to avoid the awkward impact if he wasn't SO TIRED..(like how Juwan pulled his leg out of the way to avoid a similar hyper extension).. Yao went down fighting - trying to carry the entire team on his back for so long.. He is my hero.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

i got a couple text messages asking me what happened while i was at the game. it always amazes me how late chinese fans will stay up for Yao's games.

i mean...what can you say.

the live feed recording of Yao in pain is tear jerking. The best trainer in the NBA cradling/spooning him is tear jerking. that all came later.

Yao is hurt.
    Yao was in pain.

it is soooo sad.

4. heypartner

the injury was a fluke.

It was not due to Yao being tired.
    Yao is the dragon!
    Yao is the best!
    Yao just didn't see Thomas and Hayes' head coming.

Hakeem did not see Cartwright's elbow
    Rudy did not see Washington's fist.

5. OLDNEWS

OLDNEWS Member

as a chinese fan
    thank godness that Yao have a excuse to rest!! :D
    I'm sorry for Rockets
    but nothing is more important than that. :p
    Come on Rockets!do something to keep the position of playoff
    wait for Yao's back,and then get a champion
    Best result.

6. heypartner

correct. nothing is more important that Yao playing again at 100% Yao.

I really could care less about the Rockets vs Yao getting to come back at 100%.

I admit...I would not feel that way if Yao was never a Rocket...but he is...and I care more about him than the team. Just like Hakeem and Rudy.

7. rocketmingles

rocketmingles Contributing Member

as a chinese fan myself, watching the game on TV, my head started spinning literally. my heart stopped for a while, and i was holding my girl friend's hand at that time, and both hands (hers and mine) were sweating in the winter
    damn
    i think we both kinda prayed little bit,

8. dennis_zh

dennis_zh Member

Misfortune may be a blessing in disguise.

Injury can't f****** stop me.

9. lovemtracy

lovemtracy Member

as a chinese fan, first I thought it was not serious but then I heard him moaning and groaning in pain and knew it was bad, but did not expect to be out for 6 weeks. Later I could not keep back my tears.
    But some called Yao's fans made me very angry, they ascribed Yao's injury completely to tmac. Yao's injury was a fluke, tmac was not the reason. Pray that Yao recover 100% before he came back.

10. dalman

dalman Member

I don't think a broken knee is a good way to take a break.

It may have consequencies in the long term. You never want to see any part of you got broken, especially the knee.

11. caowenyu

caowenyu Contributing Member

heartbreaking. damn, how could this happen to yao and rox. the season is done if tmac cannot get back soon

12. windfern

windfern Member

It's definitely true. Vulnerabilility to injury is primarily due to fatigue.

13. MandM's

MandM's Member

Bullsh*t. Yao jumped to block the shot and had no time to move his leg out of the way.

Two players rolled into him and he hyperextended the knee. It is that simple. A matter of timing in a situation that happened in miliseconds. We should all be grateful that Yao is in such good condition and that his leg muscles were so strong enough to withstand that force. If he would have been weak and fatigued it could have resulted in a tear to ligamants and tendon structures. Then he could have problems for the rest of his career.

This injury or the potential for this injury occurs alot in the NFL, and typically means torn ACL ligament and tendon tear. Big problems.

I hate to say that Yao was lucky but in this situation he was lucky that the bone broke and there was no tissue damage to ACL and other connection tissue

14. heypartner

Yes, vulnerability to injury is primarily due to fatigue...2nd only to being held captive at gun point.

Yao was neither. It was a fluke. Did you watch it? Are we even going to discuss the vulnerability patterns of Yao...like maybe it was all the fault of the Rockets for placing him in such a vulnerable position.

;)

merry xmas

15. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I had posted about this a couple of days ago in as much as I had observed that Yao Ming was playing this game starting in a strange way where the ball was not going through him in the regular way. Now I realize because of the posts in this thread that it was because he was fatigued from the previous games and not being his usual cautious and scoring self. I hope the Rockets Coach will learn a lesson for overplaying[abuse of] Yao Ming.

16. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

I dont know if I misunderstood your post or not JohnMatrix, but let me tell u this:

it's not a "shin fracture", it's a tibia plateau fracture. you are right about the "2 types of shin fractures" which are either the Tibia or the Fibula (the one Rafer had), but Yao's injury is not in the shaft of the Tibia, it's in the top near the articulation of the Tibia/femur, or what is commonly known as the knee joint. it's right under the knee joint, and it's a hairline non displaced fracture. I think the info u provided is irrelevant to Yao's case.

and let me tell everybody this, because there seems to be a big misconception here: it is obvious that Yao's injury was a result of Tim Thomas fallin down on his leg and him falling down, it is all about that particular incident, it has NOTHING to do with overplaying, fatigue, whatever y'all wanna call it. it's simply a result of getting hit on it and falling down. just think about it, use this cool thing called "common sense", why would u break your leg if u are fatigued? damn, I used to play full contact basketball games for 40+ minutes every day for about 2 months, I've never fractured a bone because of that.

I really care about Yao, I love the guy, I still haven't smiled a single time since he got injured. I really care about my favorite player also, Tracy McGrady. but fortunately, I care about the Houston Rockets team more than I care about either one. it's all about the team. and I am sorry, if u say that u care about Yao more than the whole team, u are a YOF. and if u care about Tmac more than the whole team, u are an MOF. I was really disappointing to know that a lot of people only care about one player.

and for all the smart guys calling for "not overplaying" Yao Ming, I dont know what you're talking about. the guy is freakin 26, he is still young, and u want to rest him? the biggest factor in Yao's recent improvement was playing extended minutes and being the center of attention in this team. u cant call for "not playing him 40+ so he wont get hurt", injuries are a normal thing in any sport. he is getting paid the big bucks to play the game and I am sure he is such a great guy he doesn't mind playing a lot of minutes for the team. I mean, think about Allen Iverson, the guy is over 30 now and he still plays 40+ minutes every game, he dives for loose balls, he draws charges, he drives hard to the basket and gets thrown hard to the ground, he just gets up and continues playing, he actually played a couple of 48 minutes games this season, he doesn't ask his coach to play him "less minutes", his fans love him because of that, because he is a true player and he plays because he loves the game and he wants to win. I love Yao for the same reason, because he is a really great guy and he gives his team everything he can. everybody, including myself, underestimated him when he first got into the league, but now that he significantly improved, I really respect and love the guy a lot. not because he became a great player, but because he worked as hard as he can and gave his best effort to improve.

get well soon Yao, we really need u..

17. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

I think the injury was a fluke and an unavoidable thing for the most part. Was Yao tired? Yes, it was the 2nd game of a back to back and he did seem to be feeling some fatigue. In the future I'd like to see Yao's minutes cut back on back to backs. Of course we need a back up center of PF who can give you more offense when Yao is out.

If T-mac gets back and Bonzi regains his scoring potential Yao should be able to rest more. I think JVG is over playing Yao, but without T-mac he has no choice really.

18. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

AGREE 100% beautiful post.

19. WizzyWig

WizzyWig Member

Wow...you read my mind.

20. JohnMatrix

JohnMatrix Member

thanks! RocketsMac! what u describe is definitely right, i browsed a few threads about Yao's injury again...ur opinions r agree with what i think, especially that one: Yao is just 1of ROX though many of us love him a lot, care about the whole team more than any single one. that is what i mean, standing by ROX!!

what u post is excellent!