1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What truly makes you a Rocket fan?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FLASH21, Jan 3, 2012.

1. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

This is a serious question.

This young season has already been so up and down that it feels like we did play those first 30 or so games this year.

But I really wanted to ask, what type of fan are you? Do you just like certain players because they're "your guy" or do you root for the entire team to play at its best and reach they're highest potential? Do you rag on the coach for making head-scratching substitutions or stand behind whatever decision is made trusting that it's the current call during game time? Are you on the board to start riffs and totally rag on every bit of hope the true fans are holding on too or do you enlighten people and help them see that there is some sunlight at the end of this tunnel?

I only ask cause there have been so many pesemists on this board that it makes me wonder, why do you even bother? I mean it goes back to if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all. Especially about your own damn team.

So I ask, what makes you a real Rockets fan?

2. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I may have favorite players (Lowry, duh), but at the end of the day, is the team above all. Players come and go, but the team remains (usually).

3. rocketboyz1

rocketboyz1 Member

rockets.........the story of my life:grin:

1 person likes this.
  4. amaru

amaru Member

Been a Rockets fan since 2004 since, you-know-who was traded here. He got traded away and I remained.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The ability to spell truly.

DD

2 people like this.
  6. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

It's easy to be a fan, just support the team.

Sure you can jump on a team's bandwagon when they're the flavor of the year, so long as you remain a fan of that team once they're going downhill. Otherwise that just makes you a cheap bandwagon fan.

Really, nobody could tell you that you are not a Rocket fan unless you're constantly trashing this team and promoting another team (in which case you're obviously just a fan of another team trolling on this board).

To be fair any fan that is supporting the Rockets now is most likely a true fan, because we are the epitome of mediocrity at the moment so I doubt we have any bandwagoners.

1 person likes this.
  7. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

I have been a die hard rockets fan since I can remember. If I cannot make it to the games, I will watch almost every single game on TV (the only live games I miss are when my Fiance makes me go somewhere lol, then I record it).

I will gladly talk trash to anyone that puts the rockets down or says they suck or whatever else they may have to say. I sometimes find myself wanting to throw the remote at my TV when the Rockets commit a bad play during a game even if we are up by 20 points.

8. Burko

Burko Member

Players come and go, the name on the front of the jersey is more important than the one on the back.

Obviously everyone has their own opinion on what the direction of the team should be, but at the end of the day if the players and coaching staff are giving 100% then I'm happy with that.

1 person likes this.
  9. rawool

rawool Member

I moved to San Antonio for school and work. Constantly have to defend my team out here. I just invest a lot of my time and money on the team; traveling to games, subscribing to league pass just for the Rockets, purchasing lots of Rockets paraphernalia, playing them on 2K constantly, and being on Clutchfans.

I think everyone here are just as big a fan as I am, if not more.

1 person likes this.
  10. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

I think you can ask how long they've been fans and draw almost the same conclusion.

As a long time fan of the Rockets I support whoever they put on the floor. There's so much going on behind the games that I can't even pretend to know what's best for the team. I'm just glad I'm not a Wizards or Bucks or (I was going to say Clippers but damn, they might be fun to watch this year) fan.

And yes, I also feel the ton negativity and it sucks...especially first thing in the morning. To bad this forum can't go back to pre-Yao days...

11. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I still have the ability to spell K-I-S-S M-Y A-S-S.

1 person likes this.
  12. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Is this a trick question?

If you follow the Rockets no matter who they put on the floor, then you are a Rocket fan. They could trade all the Rocket teammates for all the Jazz teammates and I'd still be a Rocket fan.

13. passdarock

passdarock Member

made me laugh

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I get up in the middle of the night to watch the games.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well played good squire, well played.

:)

DD

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'm just happy when they win and disgusted when they lose. Often I wish I didn't care so much, especially when its over fairly meaningless games early in the season. But I can't help it.

There are a few players on the team I really root for that magnify my interest in watching the games. Chuck Hayes used to be that guy. Now its Kyle Lowry.

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you know you are a Rockets fan when people mention OJ Simpson and you tell them you are pissed he screwed up the NBA Finals coverage.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

living in Houston...watching Phi Slamma Jamma. Then when everyone talked about Celtics and Lakers and no one ever mentioned Houston, you feel dissed.

And when the Rockets played well and won the division it was exciting that a Houston team other than the Oilers might do something. And when they knocked of the Lakers in 5 games - oh boy - it was so exciting.

Houston was in the news and people we talking about the Rockets - it was pretty cool and everyone felt good. So I think that year cemented it for me.

19. passdarock

passdarock Member

I bleed red for this team...and also burnt orange but that's a whole different story.

20. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Been a fan since a couple years before the championship days. For me, it's watching the rough times when we weren't getting to the playoffs or getting out of the first round, knowing nothing would come out of the season, but you still get league pass (moved out of Houston years ago) and watch every game rooting for a W.