1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What to expect from the 2015 Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by cangrejero51, Jun 14, 2015.

1. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Before the season started, we all believed the team was going to have an improved year, few thought we are going to compete for a playoff spot. Now, the way the team started, now we believe we can fight for one of the playoffs spots.
    We are a year ahead of schedule, but, if the team is not able to achieve a playoff spot, there are still many things to follow this year.

1. Springer. This guy is very important for us, he has the ability to get on base and hit for power, important to see him develop, and be a number 3 hitter for us for many years to come.
    2. McCullers and VV. Both are major parts of the puzzle for us to be good for many years to come. Can they become number 2 and 3 starters in the majors? If they do, we have Astros for a long time.
    3. Correa. This guy is going to be the center piece of this team. Correa and Springer are going to be our Biggio and Bagwell. Again, important to see his development this year.
    4. Marisinek. This guy is a great defensive CFer, if he can hit .270, with some pop (15 homers) and steals, then we have our cfer for the long run. I think he can do it, we need to watch that.
    5. Altuve needs to get better, we have a guy named Kemp in the minors, and can hit for average, PLUS get some walks. If Altuve continues to hit for .285-.290, with as few walks as he gets, he is not a great player for us, he needs to improve on his OBP, if not, then we have a guy to trade in the future if Kemp is the real deal.
    6. McHugh and Obie, both have the chance to be the number 4 and 5 starters for this team, but, if they struggle a little, then hopefully Appel is ready after the All Star break to be part of the rotation, eventough Feldman is still in the mix. If the team continues to be in the playoff race, then i see Feldman taking McHugh spot in the rotation, if not, the Appel and team could try and trade Feldman.
    7. Castro. We need this guy to improve his hitting. We need a .250 average with some pop. He is very good defensively.
    8. Tucker, this is an interesting option for us, especially with Santana hitting in the minors, who will stay at LF for us???? Interesting problem to have, both are capable. I like what i've seen from Tucker, he has the advantage so far.
    9. Third base is going to be Lowrie, but not for long as Moren should be there at the end of next year.
    10. Valbuena could be a very good utility, he can play 2b and 3b.
    11. Fields, i would like to see this guy develop to be our closer of the future. If he stays healthy, i think we have that.
    12. Carter or Singleton???? Wow, difficult question right there. I prefer Singleton, but, not an easy one for management. Singleton had the chance in ST, but did not performed.

So what i think is the most important thing for us??? The development of Correa and Springer, if they both become All Star players (and i believe both will) and Kemp becomes a guy that gets on base in the .380 range, with the power of Gattis, Singleton, Tucker, a good hitter in Lowrie, and Castro and Marinisek, we have a nice future. Moran is a good hitter, no power, but will hit for average and get some walks. With his lack of power, i would like more walks from him.

By the way, ALMOST READY is Hader, so Appel must improve because Mc and VV already passed him, and Hader could be the next one.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

One nit to pick....Castro is not a very good defensive catcher.

3. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

I have to disagree. First, he works with the staff pretty good, but here are numbers COMPARED TO YADIER MOLINA.

Rtot 3 for Molina, 2 for Castros
    Rfrs 3 for Molina, 6 for Castro

RAnge factor per 9 innings, Molina 8.73, Castro 8.07
    Range factor per game, Molina 8.35, Castro 7.76
    League range factor Molina 8.34, Castro 8.11

caught stealing percentage 38 % Yadier, 38% Castro

Castro is a pretty good catcher, as we are comparing him with the BEST, and he is not too far from him.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So, I see you have now changed from very good to pretty good.