1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What to do with Gasol?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by apollo33, May 10, 2009.

1. Rowdy4Life

Rowdy4Life Member

As JVG said in the broadcast, Gasol scored 18 of his 30 points in a slowdown/garbage/uncontested 4th quarter.

We held him scoreless in the 3rd, when both teams were still actually trying.
    Gasol is soft, and Hayes played him like a 16 year old prom date.

Hayes Defense>Pau's Offense.

2. YallMean

YallMean Member

Gasol's post move is pretty limited. I am not too worried. He is a face up guy. Then Chuck will harass him once he turns.

3. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

I gotta agree with this, and JVG said as much. Gasol and Brown scoring garbage points mean absolutely nothing. The Rockets' defensive intensity was significantly lower than the first 3 quarters.

4. archinkent

archinkent Member

gasol is soft. just be physical with him.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

They kind of broke out of the triangle to give him those face-up looks, right?

The Lakers will be sub-prime as long as they rely too heavily on one guy. All Kobe, all Pau, I think the Rockets have a good chance in that kind of game.

6. thegame_2234

thegame_2234 Contributing Member

beat them down and let chuck handel him along with scola and cook

and them we will see them crying along with bryant saying we supose to win this series in 4 wah wah wah wah wah wah wah wah wah wah wah wah

and them we will just said eat the head like yao said in the comercial ;) :p :cool:

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Gaysol got a little hot at the end because the Rockets were playing their version of prevent defense. Not too worried about him.

As much as I hate they guy, I have to give him props for listing Hakeem as one of his favorite 5 players of all time. At least he has a little bit of sense. :)

8. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

neutralize Gasol and the Lakers are the 2004 Lakers again who rely on Kobe to make every basket.

9. Rowdy4Life

Rowdy4Life Member

Its very ironic how playing in LA can make a person a complete cocky A-Hole.
    I loved Gasol in Memphis, he was classy, humble to his game, and still put up numbers.

Now he goes to LaLa Land and he changes his image to "Soft Tough Guy-Whiny Cry Baby" Gasol. Its quite sad.

10. jtran

jtran Contributing Member

IMO the Lakers' 4th quarter run came from their bench scrubs (Vujacic, Farmar & Brown) hitting their 3s. Hayes was locking down Gasol for almost the entire game.

11. #1YAODADDY

#1YAODADDY Member

What to do

When the next game they start bynum and gasol. I think that will be the worst matchup cause chuck won't be able to guard both at the same time and I don't think scola can guard gasol good enough. I sure hope coach is trying to find a solution for that when it comes tuesday.

12. Egghead

Egghead Member

put Chuck on Gasol and Scola on Bynum...if not Scola then Landry on Bynum...

Bynum's confidence is very low(like Greg Oden's), doubt he can hurt the Rockets as much as Gasol

13. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Came into this series, I thought he would be the biggest problem for the Rockets. The Rockets just doesn't have anyone big enough to guard him inside besides Yao, but he is too skilled & quick for Yao when face the basket.

There are a couple ways I can think of, on offense, the Rockets guards are quick enough to get by their defender, and draw Gasol up to help, and attack him to put him in foul trouble, or they can use PnR with whoever Gasol is guarding, attack him that way. Lowry does this well, but Brooks seems to avoid contact most of the time. When Brooks does make him mind to go hard, he usually gets a blocking foul, I believe he draw the foul every time today when he decided to go baseline, LA just doesn't have anyone quick enough to keep up with him.

On defense, Chuck/Landry/Scola needs to be VERY physical with him, not just AFTER him get into the paint area, but starts from the half court, bump him along the way. Gasol does get rattled when you get physical with him, and he gets wore out easily.

#33 daoshi, May 10, 2009
    Last edited: May 10, 2009
  14. flashsky

flashsky Member

Gasol would be a great trouble next games.

15. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

this is the most unintentionally insightful/ironic/profound post in the history of clutchfans/NBA post defense.

16. MandM's

MandM's Member

won't be able to contain gasol in next game, but i think if brooks goes hard to basket, up and under like he did today and rockets can hit those perimeter shots...it won't matter. Kobe is another thing though. i have never seen him play this bad before. but maybe we were just that good

17. Darmonx

Darmonx Contributing Member

Yao gave Gasol a hard time scoring on the post. When Gasol finally figured out Yao was not there anymore, he rolled in the 2nd half. Had the Lakers known about this in the first half, it would've been a different ball game. They spent too much time trying to figure out how the Rockets will come out without Yao Ming and they were blind sided by 3 pointers and smooth stroking jump shots.

I like the idea of fronting him immediately if he gets more than 6 points in the 1st quarter. Catching the ball at the post, no way 6-6 can compete against a mobile 7-0.

18. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Gasol scores easier over Yao than the other way around, so the Rockets doesn't have an advantage inside with Yao in this series.

On fronting Gasol, I don't think that's going to work because he is too mobile, we got burned a couple times today when fronting him.

19. ibm

ibm Member

not true. yao outscored him with a broken foot in game 3.

and no need to front him. just let chuck do his thing and we go from there. that's our best shot anyways.

20. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

The only way to beat Hayes is to face up, step back, catch, and shoot. And you won't be able to do that consistently because Hayes will smell it out and will intercept the pass about the 3rd time you pull that play.