1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What to do at the trade deadline?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Scolalist, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Some thoughts I have

Do we move this Knicks pick, which is looking like a top 10 pick for a very good player or players and if so what kind of value are we talking? Danny Granger?
    Could we get more waiting to this summer to move it (if Morey wants too) but perhaps being a stronger team this year

Also, Jordan Hill is an interesting situation. If he keeps showcasing himself like he did tonight do we ride him out to the playoffs and maybe re-sign him this summer or do we try and get another mid-late first round pick.

2. YaosDirtyStache

I say we trade everyone

3. Bill Worrell

Bill Worrell Member

This or Bust
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. rockets06

rockets06 Member

-One thing I don't want to do is trade the NY pick away cause I believe we can get our C in Meyers Leonard to pair with Motiejunas at PF coming in next year.
    -The main player I'd look to move is Scola by the trade deadline and ride out Hill at his natural position at PF splitting time at C as well. While trying to get some sort of value or expirings in return for players like Thabeet, Williams, Flynn to help in the playoffs. (Maybe Kaman as a possibility)

-No need to ship everybody out for salary cause we don't need Williams since we have Lowry and Howard isn't coming to Houston.

-Also they need to take a look at the SF position with Parsons, Budinger, and Morris. Not enough playing time for all of them once Morris comes back from injury, somebody has to go.

-I think we will get a better understanding on the teams direction by the trade deadline. The west is open and I believe we can be a 4-5 seed this season, with a brighter future going into the off-season.

5. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Or for the Knicks, both.

1 person likes this.
  6. aball1991

aball1991 Member

Haha, love the username man, love the username. Bill ftw!

7. Bill Worrell

Bill Worrell Member

Yes sir that man is Golden! :grin:

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Good job, Bill!
    I almost forgot that Amar'e won Rookie of the Year over Yao.

9. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

So you all are fans of one-dimensional power forwards with significant injury histories? Stoudamire would make no sense for the Rockets' current direction.

I say we really go hard after Kamen. If we can unload a Scola or Martin, gravy (particularly Martin). But eye Kamen, and if not, oh well. You don't need to overhaul the roster, especially if your initiatives are still in play.

I think Kamen could be enough to where we can win a playoff round or two, and then who knows from there.

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

Consolidate as much as possible. Buy heavily. Morey should be willing to completely reconstruct the roster if necessary. Here's my ridiculous fantasy:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If we manage all this, does D-Will sign an extension? Our starting lineup is as follows:

D-Will
    Martin
    Iggy
    Stoudemire
    Dalembert

With a bench of:
    Dragic
    Budinger
    Parsons

The only big weakness I see here is that we're really lacking a backup big man for the remainder of this season. But I'm willing to run with a couple D-Leaguers for the rest of the year to get a team like this. In the offseason there will be plenty of options.

Regardless, it's a pure fantasy scenario, but I'm more trying to give an example of the type of trades I hope Morey will look to make. I hope he looks make big, drastic, costly deals which turn us into a true contender over the next 3-5 years.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

A consolidation deal I'm definitely a fan of is getting Batum and/or Amare for a Scola package.

Amare for Scola+Thabeet+their own pick seems reasonable for both sides, and it seems like a bit of an open handed slap to the inept NY FO.

"Haha, here's your own pick back! Now give me Amare for Scola."

On the surface, Amare seems to be a risky gamble but starting next year he's contract has only 2 years left. I don't really think he's as bad as he's playing, a change of scenery+a decent playmaking pg will bring him back to his STAT days. Amare+an inspired Dalembert will give us one of the best, if not the best front court in the league, and would probably be better than Nene+Gasol, except instead of locking Nene to 13M and paying Gasol 15M we'd be paying Dalembert 6 and Amare 16.

12. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

I seriously doubt that NY will want to take back Jordan Hill. NY wouldn't want to take back T-Will either. Scola and Brand on the same team, probably isn't a good idea either.

13. konver5ation

konver5ation Member

Nice idea but that pushes us into luxury tax by over $10 mil just to field that starting lineup with no bench.

14. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I say try to keep the core guys and bring in Batum... If he doesn't sign that extension then he's bound to be traded, not sure what it would take but I think he is a
    Perfect fit for this team.

15. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

NO way do we include any 2012 picks.

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

They probably would as expiring contracts. They don't have to play the guys.

I wasn't trying to give an exact scenario, anyway; more demonstrate the kind of creative trades which could be made if Morey is willing to go all-out.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Dump Kevin Martin,however possible, hopefully somebody will be stupid enough to give us something of value for his overpaid ass. Lee, Bud and Parsons are a better trio, and frees up some time for Morris eventually.

Amare simply does not play defense, he doesn't even try. Scola is cheaper, not much older, and not nearly the risk. The only reason i might consider Amare is his possible ability to land a star here based on rep, and undeserved rep, but a good rep nonetheless.

Straight up i might do it, but i certainly wouldn't add a sweetener.

18. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

i think that K-Mart+Scola+Dragic+pick package is still on the block.
    and the only star big man i can think of worth it is Al Jefferson
    the Jazz is also shopping Harris so i think this trade makes alot sense for both teams:

K-Mart + Scola + Dragic + the Memphis 1st pick we got from Battier trade
    for
    Jefferson + Harris

Dalembert, Hill, Thabeet
    Jefferson, Patterson, Adrien
    Parsons, Budinger, Morris
    Lee, T-Will
    Lowry, Harris, Flynn

we could probably get 1st rd. home-court with this line-up. and we still have about $14Mil. in expiring contracts+NY's pick to trade for another star i.e. Iggy/Pierce/Wallace
    or we let them expires and go for Howard or Roy Hibbert in the summer

19. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I'm not good at predicting trades so let me know if this is realistic.

Flynn-Lee-Hill-2012 2nd round pick
    For
    Batum-fillers if needed

Williams-Adrien-Thabeet-OUR 1st round pick (is it possible to send our rights to that pick? If its a Lotto it goes to NO if not it goes to NJ?)
    For Kamen

Lowry/Dragic
    Martin/Bud
    Batum/Parsons/Morris
    Scola/Pat/Morris
    Daly/Kamen

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

If you can keep your depth and get Stoudamire I say you do it. With the depth of this team + a guy who can finish games and be a go to player and I like our chances. The contract sure but looking at the upcoming FA class I don't see any other perennial all-star player the Rockets would have a shot at.

Plus he'd be playing with a legit PG again and as a pnr player with Lowry he'd be unstoppable. The only thing I don't like is the injury, although he's been just fine recently it's something about playing in Houston that probably means he'll be plagued by injuries again.