1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What to do at Fredericksburg?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by slowmustang, Mar 3, 2008.

Tags:
  1. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

I am wanting to spend a day there this weekend. Obviously, there is Enchanted Rock. Is there anything in particular that is can't miss? Any cool spots to hang out or great restaurants? I've never been so any advice would be appreciated.

2. junglerules

junglerules Member

The wife and I love Enchanted Rock. Also, drive up to Llano for some Cooper's BBQ. You won't regret it....

3. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Fredricksburg Fudge Company. Yuuuuuummmmmmm.

4. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

There's a ton of wineries in the area, Fredericksburg Winery is my favorite.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

If you like WW2 stuff, check out the Admiral Nimitz museum, also tons of wineries in and around Fredricksberg....

DD

6. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm looking everything up. :cool:

A couple more questions:

As far as Enchanted Rock, is there anything in particular that is can't miss? I've never done anything of that nature and was wondering what exactly you can do.

Any cool lunch spots? Cooper's looks intriguing. I heard Rather Sweet Bakery was good but it looks like it will be closed on Sunday.

7. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Wheeler's is awesome.

There's also a candle shop (pretty cool watching them carve candles) and right next to it is a jam shop that has all sorts of free jelly/other food samples...that's where I first tried jalepeno jelly with cream cheese on wheat thins and I was hooked.

Fredricksburg is a fun little town.

8. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

is this the one in Virginia?

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I was just there a couple weeks ago. There are lots of cool shops in town. Enchanted Rock is awesome. You should consider driving around the area to places like Utopia, Lukenbach and Kerville as well.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Der Lindenbaum, at 312 East Main Street, is the most authentic German eatery in town, IMO. A little place with fabulous food and nice service. We go to Fredericksburg a lot and usually eat here twice, if we're staying the weekend.
    http://www.derlindenbaum.com/Lindenbaum_Menu.htm

11. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I had the best croissants I've ever eaten at this little coffee shop on Main Street. They were ridiculously good.

That German bakery is supposed to be amazing, but they are closed Sunday and Monday and only stay open on the other days until their baked goods are gone, so get their early.

12. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Where is Fredericksburg anyways? You guys make it sound like some European city.

13. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Central Texas about an hour west of Austin.

14. redsail

redsail Member

A great place to eat is Rose Hill Manor. Its about 10 minutes outside of the main town of Fredericksburg. Reservations only. There are maybe 10 tables in the place (its part of the B&B)? Upscale dining with seasonal limited choice menu. Reasonably priced and good selection of wines on the menu for its size. The Chef is superb. IMO the best dining in the area. Very nice place to stay also.
    http://www.rose-hill.com/

15. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

My sister lives in Kerrville and we always head to Fredericksburg when we travel south. I second the Nimitz Museum. If you're a WWII buff, you could spend hours in there. I went with my Dad several years back and he was like a kid. He spent 4 years in the Air Force in the Philippines and was really impressed with that place. One of the shops on Main street is the house where Nimitz was born. You can go in the actual room.

Fredericksburg Brewery is always a stop. Pedernales pilsner, Dumb blonde ale, etc.

Fredericksburg is a very cool place to spend a day.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We'll have to check that out. Thanks for giving him the heads up! :)

17. Buck Turgidson

The porter is their best, imo.

Hondo's is a good spot if you're in the mood for burgers (or just less formal) & beer, check their website to see who's playing at night. I'll second Rose Hill if you're looking for fine dining. Navajo Grill isn't bad either.

18. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

E-Rock is awesome, definitely the best camping trip I've had ever since I moved to Texas. It's been a few years now so I can't remember everything, but I remember there were underground caverns as well as three different mountains you can climb. And for a very non-outdoorsy person like me, getting to climb two intimidating-looking mountains in one day was such a great high.

19. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

There's this one shop on the main drag, I think it's called "Texas Foods" or something like that, you go in there and they have samples of EVERYTHING (jams, butters, dips, salsas, etc) they sell available. I went in there before lunch and came out an hour later too stuffed to find a restaurant...

20. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Coopers in Llano is the Best BBQ in the state in my opinion and just a short drive from Fredericksburg.