1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What to do about old American drivers?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by dmc89, Oct 15, 2012.

1. dmc89

dmc89 Member

On NPR, I heard a great discussion on older drivers and road safety. Ironically, this very evening I nearly got in a wreck when an elderly driver made an unprotected left turn. Her car missed my front bumper by less than 5 ft. :mad:

I think there should be mandatory retesting in all states for each driver over 60 years of age (done every 2-3 years in a fair manner). Cognitive impairment and dulling of the senses is not discrimination, it happens to everyone, and it's unsafe. Testing should be written, vision, reflexes, and on the road. Furthermore, healthcare providers should report to DOT anyone elderly too impaired to drive.

All these concerns for lack of freedom for impaired drivers should lead to national debate over increased public transportation, keeping communities close together, and having children either take care of parents or the state providing access for rural folk. We will discuss teenagers and other age segments separately.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't know if re-testing is needed, but they should be required to take a sort of periodic course to brush up on their driving mentality. Same goes for new drivers.

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

Hasn't the issue always been that because old people vote, no politician in his right mind would ever try to go against old people? It's like medicare. Regardless of whether you're for it or oppose it, it's going to stick around until old people decide to vote at the rate of 20yr olds.

4. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

We should make people retake the driver's test every X years. I think you should have to take it when you are 16, when you are 25 (to ensure you are actually doing the right things), 45, and then every 10 years after that. Seems like a lot? Well there are just too many damn stupid drivers who do senseless things that put too many people at risk, all in the name of convenience and impatience (talking on the cell, eating, texting, etc).

Driving is a privilege, not a right, but in the US once you give something to someone you can't take it away, no matter how justified it is.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Agreed.

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Agreed, and not just in the USA but worldwide. You come across people daily that shouldn't be allowed to drive a car, for the sake of everyone's safety.

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i'm more worried about the texters than the old folks

1 person likes this.
  8. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

While I agree with the idea that drivers should be re-vetted occasionally, you seem a little worked up about a 5' near miss. I also agree that texters are more dangerous. At least most old folks drive too slowly.

9. Classic

Classic Member

I'm worried about the old people texting. Seeing it more and more these days w/ 50-60+ yr olds. They're crusin 65mph down the freeway just drifting all over the lanes just oblivious. Dumb old ****ers.

10. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Ya, the old folks just get lost. Seriously, lately I have seen so many alerts for missing elderly.

Texters are the worst though. I get so irritated in the morning when I am backed up a mile at a light and there are people taking their sweet ass time to get through the light so they can finish their sentence.

11. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

They are the same. Can't tell you how many times I've been stuck behind an old person entering the freeway at 45, nearly causing accidents. Or coming to a complete stop on right turn yields, when its a green light. Stupid stuff.

12. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Good points, but 10 years is too long for past 45 years of age. Once you cross 65, it's imperative to have frequent testing (every 4 years at least, 2 preferable) because cognitive and motor impairment accelerate.

This thread wasn't about it, but we have to reduce the numbers of drivers on the road for environmental and safety reasons. Having fewer quality motorists is a win-win. Less accidents, road wear/tear, traffic jams, road rage, etc.

13. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Very true. I think the first 2 are very important though. Anyone who isn't absolutely r****ded can pass a drivers test, I just don't know anyone couldn't. I didn't study, I didn't take a class, I drove with my dad for a few months and then took the test. However, at 16 we are perfecting our ability to crash-course anything. So by the time we are 18, 20, 22ish we forget or just ignore the rules of the road.

The biggest rule broken by drivers? Tailing. There should almost NEVER be rear ends. Yet what's the most common accident? There is supposed to be a car length for every 10 mph. That means a 15 ft car on a highway going 65 mph should have almost 100 ft between them and the next car. How often do you see this? Do you EVER see this?