1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What this signing means now and later...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by leroy, Jan 12, 2004.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Yes, Clemens will only be an Astro for one season (most likely). However, I got to thinking what this could mean for the future of the Astros. Clemens' potential influence on Miller, Oswalt and Redding is going to be nothing short of invaluable. Imagine if these 3 take to Clemens' workout routine at their respective ages. Oswalt and Miller learn how to avoid the nagging injuries that have held them back from becoming 2 of the truly elite pitchers in the game. Redding (hopefully)learns that mental toughness that we all know he has been missing. Not to mention what it could mean for the rest of the staff and the team.

While not their intention, this move to sign Roger Clemens means just as much for the future as it does for the present.

2. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I agree, this was one of the first things that popped in my head when the rumors started. This staff really needed some veteran influence and guidance, and who better than Clemens even if it's only a year.

3. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

This signing means no excuses. :rolleyes:

4. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

:D

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Weird... I just read this same post at astrosdaily.com... by a guy named Leroy, no less.

Could it be the same person?... nah!:D

6. lalala902102001

The signing means that the Astros now have a chance to win their first ever playoff series...and finally bring a winning attitude and tradition to the franchise.

7. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

They better do.

No excuses.

8. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I thought they won one in '86.

9. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

That was still the old playoff system. So no they still have never gotten out of the first round of the playoffs. I was 9 years old and cried when the b*stard Mets won. I still hate the Mets to this day. That playoff series and the Buffalo game were the only times I cried over a game.

10. leroy

Busted!

11. leroy

Why must you bring up that Buffalo game?

12. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Wow. Ditto here. As a 9-year old kid, I cried that day, too. Freaking Mets traumatized and scarred me. :mad:

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I was 10 and also wept.

I still remember my best friend at the time leaving after one of the later innings after the Mets scored go-ahead runs. I'll never forget him mowing his lawn with tears running down his face as we came running out of the house after Billy Hatcher's homerun!

Too bad it ended so soon after. :(

14. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I can't wait until we play the Mets (Piazza) and Sosa, Bonds, Puljols, etc...

I can't freakin' wait until the season starts...

I agree you can't put a price on Oswalt, Miller and everyone else learning The Rockets' workout regimine to stay healthy...

Go Stros'!!!

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I really hope this is the year Wade Miller "gets it."

He's coasted thru the majors in his first three years, relying solely on his god-given talent alone.

The guy has the potential to be one of THE BEST simply based on his arm strength and size (he's built like a beast).

Guys like Oswalt and Pedro are complete freaks of nature, who shouldn't be able to do the things they do (and thus, they're more injury prone)... but Miller is built in the same mold as Clemens and Schilling.

Unfortunatly, I believe many in the organization have questioned Wade's work ethic, due to his constant arm fatigue, and inconsistent starts to the season that have plagued him the last two years.

Maybe these talks of trades will light a fire in him... or maybe they're going to see what kind of effect Clemens can have on the kid.

I don't believe Oswalt can get much better than he already is (providing he's healthy), however Roy is special, and can be one of the best ever if he avoids injury

But, if Miller puts in the work, he can improve leaps and bounds above what any of us has ever seen.... that's what I hope can happen this season. (ie... Miller, stop hanging out in NY, and get down here asap to start working out w/ Clemens and Pettite).

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

certainly a nice thought, and something that would indeed be invaluable, but is clemens' history littered with pitchers he mentored? pettitte and...? i can't think of any jay pitchers that emerged during clemens' tenure and they had some good, young arms while he was there.

not to knock clemens or the surrounding hoopla his signing has created, but adding a 41-year old pitcher to this team (even with pettitte on it) doesn't make it appreciably better. oswalt has to stay healthy, miller has to rebound, dotel/lidge have to click and stay healthy, bagwell has to rebound, hidalgo has to maintain, berkman has to rebound...

sure, i'm excited, but the team still has a lot of question marks, IMO.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

no doubt..but name me one other team in MLB that doesn't have question marks.

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

it's not a question of having or not having, it's how many. the astros weren't a step or two from being a contender last year; adding a 41-year old effective (but no longer consistently dominant) pitcher doesn't close the gap between good and great, IMO.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I disagree. The Astros' were very much in the same league as the four playoff teams. Had we not lost Oswalt to injury for a decent portion of the season, we'd have been in the playoffs.

Adding Pettitte, Clemens and hopefully a healthy Oswalt for an entire year should make a pretty big difference.

20. leroy

Try Curt Schilling. While not a teammate, he tought Schilling his workout routine and what it takes to be a winner. Schilling refers to what he learned from Rocket everytime someone asks him how he got his career turned around (ironically, after he left the Astros).