1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What the rotation should be.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MikeWestah, Jan 9, 2014.

1. MikeWestah

MikeWestah Member

Since we are all in agreement that McHale's rotation is terrible. How would you divvy up the rotation & playing time on a nightly basis?
    Here is my take (*using the current roster barring injuries/ trades*):

Player | Minutes
    Harden 35
    Howard 33
    Parsons 32
    Lin 27
    Jones 26
    Beverly 20
    Asik 14
    Garcia 12
    Casspi 11
    DMo 11
    Brooks 8
    Brewer 7
    Smith 4
    Canaan 0

Depth Chart
    PG Beverly 20 Lin 20 Brooks 8 Canaan 0
    SG Harden 34 Lin 7 Garcia 4 Brewer 3
    SF Parsons 30 Garcia 8 Casspi 5 Brewer 4 Harden 1
    PF Jones 26 DMo 10 Casspi 6 Parsons 2 Smith 3 Asik 1
    C Howard 33 Asik 13 DMo 1 Smith 1

2. s.b713

s.b713 Member

I don't think these people your giving 1 min and 2 here and there can contribute ANYTHING or get in a rhythm to contribute to the game at all.
    I think the PG rotations have been good, wish we had another wing to help out Harden and Parsons(hope Dmorey gets us some help in that regard by Feb) PF and C well imo have been ok. And I guess I might be one of the few that's fine with Mchales rotations. Once we get Asik back he'll solidify the C spot. When Asik is gone and maybe DMO is still here that's Dmo Minutes to loose. Overall I think the rotations are fine we just had many nagging injuries thus hurting our depth.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Now redo it knowing Asik/Beverley/Smith are not available because of injury.

4. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Actually I think that one of the things that McHale does better is manage the rotation. He might work the **** out of the core but I am a big fan of a couple of the things he does inside the rotation. Namely leaving in the hot hand at the end of the game, keeping Lin on a short leash, and keeping starters in longer in the first.

The key to elevating us into the top of the western conference doesn't depend on getting a 3rd star IMO. We just need to have better role players. Casspi, Garcia, Smith, Brooks. I don't really think those are championship roleplayers.

5. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

I know you're either just uneducated or trolling, but you can only play 12 people on an actual NBA roster. I'm guessing your THEORY didn't focus so much on this PRACTICAL reality, since you managed to balance the total number of minutes available in the game (240) for any particular team. The only explanation is that you were trying to give per year minute estimates, but those do NOT add up to 240 on a team when you have injuries and rotating IR players. So overall, this was very poorly thought out on your part.

So this brings me to my next point... If it is people like this who are continually saying that our rotations are bad, why should I believe our rotations are bad? These people who want Chandler and James to play less are literally saying that they want more minutes for Garcia, Brewer and Casspi (with a bit of Jeremy mixed in). I am not in that camp.

I hate watching James play as much as anyone at times, but when he is one of a handful of guys in the NBA who can do what he did last night in the 3rd quarter, and is young to boot, what do you want the coaches to do? Bench him for 3 games until he decides he wants to play defense? That may work in high school, or your dreamworld fantasy, but he will be crying and moaning in the media and causing a huge problem for the team. People are going to have to face the fact that Morey brought in a tremendously talented player, that is also a severely flawed defender. He will now have to bring in other wing talent to guard the other team's best wing scorer. When James tries on defense (not often), he isn't even that good. His instincts for rotations and basic plays that aren't AAU defense (waiting in the passing lanes for steals) are horrible. Why is that the coach's fault? Are the people who think this stuff really deluded enough to believe that 3 less minutes on a per night basis for James would actually equal more defense?

6. bmd

bmd Member

Why do you have so many people playing? And why are some playing only 1 minute at a certain position? Doesn't make much sense.

It should be:

Howard
    Jones
    Parsons
    Harden
    Beverley
    Lin
    Asik
    Casspi
    Garcia

Those are your regular players. Brooks, D-Mo, and Smith should only be playing if somebody is doing terrible, or is injured, or you like the match-up better, etc.

7. MikeWestah

MikeWestah Member

I didnt have anyone getting 1 minute here or there..
    Example: DMo plays alongside of Jones for a minute prior to Dwight checking in for Jones.

8. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

Could you give us your quarterly breakdowns of exactly how you would do these substitutions? *popcorn meme*

9. MikeWestah

MikeWestah Member

Long Rant! You probably should have done a little research 1st though. The NBA moved to a 13 man active roster a few years ago.

Yes, I am in the camp that you should scale back minutes in the regular season and use depth. There is no reason we should have the 2nd (Harden) and 4th (Parsons) most used players.
    Lebron averages 2.5 minutes less than Harden the depth on that team is worse. Hell, the Spurs leader in MPG (Parker) gets only 31.

1 person likes this.
  10. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

I understood what you were doing even though some didn't. But I would say that some guys should not be considered for regular minutes (Brewer). I feel Brooks has played well enough to deserve some minutes each game, and Smith in his limited time he's been healthy also played pretty good. I would like for DMo to get more minutes to spare D12 at times and to also have a 7fter on the floor (can't count Asik at this time) especially when we play big teams. I would also like to see our starters (Parsons, Harden) minutes drop so they can something left in the tank come playoff time.

11. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Hard to take seriously when you're advocating a rotation that is 13 players deep "on a nightly basis" lol. This isn't nba2k14 fyi.

12. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

Wow, I didn't even know they made that change permanent after the lock-out season, good call on your part. We haven't been healthy enough to suit up 13 guys in a long time. However, I can't imagine any NBA coach actually playing 13 people on a nightly basis... That'd be a disaster waiting to happen.

The Heat have better depth than us without question (especially when you are comparing the two this year with our injuries). The Spurs have possibly the deepest team in the league. Both of those teams are a lot older than us and have veteran back-ups who can be relied upon to play 6-7 minutes of clean basketball. Our bench goes in to the game and it's brutal to watch - which is why I believe the coaches started Brewer last game (they could hide him in the offense with the starters a lot more easily than with the 2nd unit).

And why are you looking at MPG averages so heavily? If we are talking about wear-and-tear on a body, it would be more beneficial to look at total minutes played (since the argument is that the total amount of wear leads to more injuries). Since both Chandler and James have missed games (basically getting a day of rest for their body), they aren't anywhere near the top of that list. Are you more worried about James playing 38.7 MPG for 30 games, or Klay Thompson and Stephen Curry playing 37.7 MPG for 38 and 35 games respectively? This is why the arguments about scaling back our minutes (especially with the total absence of a wing off the bench) are silly.

13. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

Playing 12 to 13 people is a nonexistent strategy in the NBA... Never will it happen consistently.. 8-9 is what it should be and even less (not much) during the playoffs

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What do you mean "we"? And how do you know all you people are in agreement?

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Rotations should not be fixed.

You need an adaptable and flexible system.

[​IMG]

16. s.b713

s.b713 Member

Sorry im over exagerating, i meant those players your giving 4, 7, 8, 11 minutes thats no time for anyone to get "into" the game so to speak, as previously noted by other posters on here NBA line up consist of 8 MAYBE 9 players carrying the load maybe even shorter during the playoffs. Brooks should be getting no playing time with a healthy PB and Jlin. Brewers should be getting no playing time with a healthy Parsons,

PatB/ Lin
    Jharden/ Garcia or Lin
    Parsons/Garcia or Casspi
    Jones/ Casspi or Garcia when going small line ups(Smith might get spot up minutes sometimes here and at C in cause of foul trouble)
    D12/ ASIK

Sorry Dmo, Brewer, Brooks, Smith there just no playing time for them with healthy line up, Canaan? this kid aint ready he's just here suiting up for insurance in case Brooks or Lin went out
    And there you go, sorry but i dont know where you get "everybody is in agreenment Coachs rotation sucks"

17. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

And someone who assumes everyone believes the current rotations are terrible and advocates a 13 player rotation without regard to opposition warrants zero credibility.

18. MikeWestah

MikeWestah Member

Each game needs adjustment and flexibility. I was simply presenting a hypothetical baseline rotation. Realistically at least 1 player is sidelined. The minutes I presented were meant to be averages over 82 games (as opposed to mpg in games played.)

I'd actually project it as a 10-11 man rotation on most nights.
    It's substantially more crazy to run an 8 man rotation, which McHale has done several times.
    Check the Spurs game logs over the past month. The least they've played is 10 and they've played all 13 just as many times.

19. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

I imagine the op is a huge fan of the cavs and pistons rotation which is just doesn't have one but plays a lot of people and no one knows if they will be playing in the first or second half.

Mchales rotation is fine when fully healthy, he splits the time of our 2 best playmakers in James and lin and there are enough players who can get off a shot in the secondary.

Yes he has been riding our starters to long in the month of December, but when the 3 ball was going down at the worst rate in the league, mchale has to trust in the guys he knows can get the W.

Keep the rotation at a max of 9 maybe of potentially lin, Asik, Garcia, cassipi.

20. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Harden and Parsons are going to play 38 or more minutes a night unless it is a laugher. There are only three players on the roster that are guaranteed minutes - Harden, Howard and Parsons. Everyone else is on a short leash, which IMHO is how it should be. Play your superstars and any player that can attain the consistency of Parsons. McHale is doing a great job with the rotations.