1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What the mock drafts are saying...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, May 16, 2023.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That video is a year old and according to OTE, Ausar is in the short sleeves and Amen is in the long sleeves.

2. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

The way I see it, trade up or trade out. I'm not sold on Amen being "that guy".

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Are the Rockets keeping a tight lid on draft workouts? Haven't heard of any so far.

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

I'll bet in practical terms he plays about as big as Jamal Murray (measured 6'3" without shoes and 6'6" wingspan). We're seeing right now that works just fine in the NBA Finals.

Williamson likes this.
  5. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

Ok then. He's killing it in a trash league. Calling OTE a trash league is not exaggerating btw.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Well heck! Next time I'll just ask you directly when I don't know something like this. :cool: ;-)
    Hey! I guessed right. (and thanks!)

7. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

HOUSTON
    Jett Howard SG Fr
    Maxwell Lewis SF So
    Jordan Walsh SF Fr
    Seth Lundy SF Sr
    Chris Brandon PF Sr
    Kendric Davis PG Sr
    Jaylen Forbes SG Jr
    Alex Fudge SF So
    Coleman Hawkins PF Jr
    Markquis Nowell PG Sr
    Terry Roberts PG Sr
    Oscar Tshiebwe C Sr

https://hoopshype.com/lists/2023-nba-draft-workout-tracker-where-have-prospects-gone/

#147 theDude, Jun 8, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2023
  8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Those workouts read like "we already know what we want to do at the top of the draft, just need to figure out #20 and if we want to buy a second rounder"

Bo6 likes this.
  9. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Literally no one has said otherwise.

Calling the entire league 15 years old is totally exaggerating.

OremLK likes this.
  10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Jett Howard....some believe is the most pro ready

Alex Fudge was a hot item from last season. Name is cool.
    Can think up many one liners from it. Get the Fudge out of here.

#150 ApacheWarrior, Jun 8, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2023
  11. topfive

topfive CF OG

Lol. Gtfo with that nonsense. Steph learned from his dad from a young age. "Dell and 11-year-old Steph would regularly compete against other NBA players in H-O-R-S-E competitions and the two would consistently win." You don't think Mychal Thompson also taught his kid at a young age? o_O

Both guys hit over 40% from 3 at age 18 in college.

Sh!te like that makes everything you post a target for ridicule.

UPDATE: @Imanimal has politely informed me that I had left my sarcasm detector turned off when I read his post. :D

#151 topfive, Jun 9, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
    BigShasta and Smacktle like this.
  12. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

You are focusing on the wrong part of the argument and i really thought it needed no explaining 'cause anyone would have understood the actual point. Full of 15 yo or 30 yo, the important thing about my argument is that he's playing against trash competition and his flaws still shine. That inspires no confindence.

13. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Hey Topfive, gotta clear my name on this one! I was being 100% sarcastic in making a joke that the two greatest shooters of our generation had to be taught how to shoot at Amen’s age of almost 21. Point being is that it’s ludicrous to think we can take a guy with no shooting skills and awful form and turn him into the next Steph or Klay.

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. topfive

topfive CF OG

Hahaha! I got suckered into that one. My first thought was, "He's GOT to be joking." I should've paid attention to that. I take it all back! :D

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

*deleted double post*

17. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

People seem to dodge the question but I'll keep asking anyway...

What is an acceptable level of non-NBA competition? Wembanyama plays teenagers and NBA wash-outs. Henderson plays guys who are almost good enough to be the 15th man in the NBA. College basketball level of competition spans an extremely wide range of potential NBA players to future accountants. OTE are just guys who chose the semi-pro route instead of college, I'm not saying it's high-end competition but it's probably better than low-end college and some overseas competition. It's mid, as the kids say.

Then people are just saying Amen didn't dominate OTE when he did. I don't get it. All the other top 10 candidates have no flaws? What are you trying to say here man?

This team needs playmaking and defense, we're likely getting a guy who specializes in playmaking, defense and jumping 4 feet off the ground and it's inspired very little happiness. I don't get it.

Why the hate?

BigShasta, theDude and peleincubus like this.
  18. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

Look, we have different opinions on the guy. Wemby is 7'5, you can't teach height nor the skills he has at that height. That alone makes for an unbelievable prospect without considering the competition he's faced. Scoot plays in the g-league, which is like the nba playoffs compared to OTE. Also, i didn't say Amen did not dominate, i said he dominated trash competition. No prospect is perfect, very true, that's why once again, i always say: "i can be wrong". That's just my opinion on the matter and i've watched the kid play. I've done my homework.

Edit: i wanted to add that this has been my opinion since i saw him play, way before the Rockets got the #4 pick and he looked set to be the pick. I'm not wishing that he turns out a bust or something, it's just my observation of him as a player. If he gets drafted by the Rockets, i'm gonna root for the guy. I'm just really hoping he is not the pick.

#158 Yinka Dare, Jun 9, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
  19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

20. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

I just think folks are getting carried away with the histrionics. I'm pretty sure we don't have differing opinions about Amen. He's .1% level athlete that's good at everything but shooting the ball. He's a high risk/high reward pick with #4. My opinions of him are basically just the generally accepted opinion of him, do you disagree with that?

You can't teach 7'5", let's play. I'm not here to question who's the #1 pick, I'd pick VW too. But he's 7'5" with stick limbs, he'll get bodied up by everyone and regardless of adding weight because of the extra high center of gravity. He's got diva attitude about not wanting to play the 5. He's slow as ****. He's an injury risk. He is a dogshit 3 point shooter who doesn't make plays for others. His team isn't even in first place against European teens and American washouts. I'm glad he's going to San Antonio because the next 5 years include this bum failing to live up to generational hype.