1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

What the mock drafts are saying...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, May 16, 2023.

1. Pringles09

Pringles09 Member

2. lionaire

lionaire Member

Don't get your hopes up. I didn't hear a peep from the pre-draft Paolo haters/doubters all year.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. Houston Rockets: Amen Thompson

With Houston preparing to make an aggressive push to sign James Harden this summer, rival NBA executives believe this pick will be used as trade bait as the Rockets look to take a significant step forward next season.

However, there’s considered a drop-off in value after the trio of Wembanyama, Henderson, and Miller.

Whether Houston keeps the pick for itself or uses it in trade talks to acquire a proven star, the best available talent is likely Amen or Ausar Thompson.

https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-moc...or-wembanyama-scoot-henderson-brandon-miller/

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I dont even care about 4 anymore I just want Leonard Miller at 20. He will save us!! :D

5. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Players who came into the league as horrible shooters and made major improvements:

Jaylen Brown
    LaMelo
    Siakam
    Kawhi
    LeBron
    Randle
    DeRozan
    Dejounte
    Aaron Gordon
    Jerami Grant
    Anunoby
    Scottie Barnes
    Giddey

Players who developed elite passing, elite athleticism, or positional size after coming into the league:

[none]

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

Even absolutely atrocious 3P shooters who struggled to reach 60% on free throws like Blake Griffin and Rajon Rondo eventually figured it out. The NBA is really good at teaching players how to shoot these days.

Xopher likes this.
  7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Jabari Smith Jr:

[​IMG]

Arnel and cml750 like this.
  8. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Whom ever your 4th overall and 20th overall is gonna be have to be difference makers on the defensive end. They have to be able to shoot. That's that. I'm looking at a lively at 20. He is a difference maker on defense and doesn't need to be thrown in the middle . Senguin can play SF some . But who ever is at the 4th spot has to defend and shoot the lights out

I've heard Scoot could slide to the 4th pick based off need alone from the other 2 ahead of us. So why trade it now when you can wait and see

9. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

He was under contract with Overtime Elite. Who knows what they were allowing him to do. His shooting improved the 2nd half of the season. From videos it looks like he has specific coaches for himself now. The guy is a great talent. If he could shoot earlier in the season he would possibly be considered as good as Scoot. I'm fine with drafting him, trading up, or flipping #4 for something better. Either way no matter who is drafted there has to be a vet presence to either play the point or teach Amen, Scoot, or KPJ how to play PG in the NBA.

Hemingway likes this.
  10. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

I wanted Jalen green 2 years ago .. I was torn between him and Mobley but I ultimately wanted green! I’m not backing down from that till year 5 of both players

I wanted Paolo last year but only cause I didn’t think Jabari (who I wanted badly at first) would drop to third . I did so much research and watched videos of Paolo and was sold ! I’m not surprised he won rookie of the year . BUT Jabari was the least nba ready of the bunch and he’s younger . I’m happy still with Jabari so far but same thing as Mobley and Green.. I’m judging 5 years down the road ..

I am very disappointed that we are not getting 1st pick (wemby) and also bummed we dropped out of top 3 (Henderson and miller) .. I’m still excited we get the 4th pick and I’m ready to do research and make my own judgement! TIS the season

Shark44 and Aruba77 like this.
  11. csc177

csc177 Member

and Magic Johnson, and Ron Harper, and Lamelo Ball, and Lonzo Ball, to name a few.

12. csc177

csc177 Member

After watching Amen videos on youtube for an hour you'll get on board. 6'7 Ja Morant and instantly the best playmaker on this team (alongside Sengun)

Arnel, theDude and HTownTmac1 like this.
  13. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

LaMelo is an allstar.

14. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

I just seen someone post a recent video of him shooting and it looks like he already improved ! Looking forward to checking him out

JusBleezy likes this.
  15. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Still not good form. He's bringing the ball down too low and starting the shot from the middle of his body. It's a little better than the first video though. Mike Miller's coaching was spot on, but he's hasn't incorporated those changes.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

More AAU stink to get rid of.

DD

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Givony: Portland is very, very serious about continuing the Dame Lillard era. People want them to trade him away and get a package of picks. They’re not feeling that whatsoever. They’re gonna continue to move forward with Lillard. So how does he fit with Scoot Henderson? He’s clearly the most talented guy on the board here but do they look at Ausar or Amen Thompson? I don’t personally think so but it will be a conversation and knowing the way that front office operates, they’ll bring everybody in. They’ll want to take a look, kick the tires. They may explore trades too. If Scoot is there at 3, they could get some very enticing trade offers. I don’t think anything is locked in at 2 and 3.

Marks: I’m interested to see if #3 gets put in play. We know the Lillard timeline. It doesn’t feel like what they have aligns with Lillard. Sharpe, Simons, what do you do with Scoot with Lillard and Simons already here. What is the value of the 3rd pick? If you keep it, just take the best available player.

Givony: They have to be upset falling from 2 to 4. This opens up a wide range of possibilities. They’ll look at both Thompson twins, Cam Whitmore, Anthony Black. Personally, I’m taking Amen Thompson. He’s the player with the highest upside at this point and his fit here is strong along side Jabari Smith, Alperen Sengun, Jalen Green. He can play with all those guys. He can guard the tougher matchup. He can guard 1-3. He brings you the playmaking ability, tremendous creativity, 7-foot wingspan. They’ll kick the tires on a couple other wings/guards at the same time.

1. Spurs: Victor Wembanyama
    2. Hornets: Brandon Miller
    3. Blazers: Scoot Henderson
    4. Rockets: Amen Thompson
    5. Pistons: Jarace Walker
    6. Magic: Ausar Thompson
    7. Pacers: Cam Whitmore
    8. Wizards: Anthony Black
    9. Jazz: Gradey Dick
    10. Mavs: Taylor Hendricks
    11. Magic: Jordan Hawkins
    12. Thunder: Cason Wallace
    13. Raptors: Nick Smith Jr.
    14. Pelicans: Keyonte George

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I wonder what it would take to trade up for Scoot at 3.

Corpusfan and Dobbizzle like this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. Houston Rockets: Amen Thompson | Position: PG/SG | Team: Overtime Elite

Assuming James Harden becomes a Rocket, the biggest positional need for Houston will be a wing, with Jalen Green and Jabari Smith locked into starting jobs.

Sources say the Thompsons twins—Ausar and Amen—are both in heavy consideration at No. 4.

While Ausar comes off as the better fit for his improved shot-making, Amen has the more bankable skill with his passing—something that creates a rare archetype and unique upside.

With Ausar's erratic decision-making and (still) below-average shooting, Amen's combination of elite athletic ability, ball-handling and translatable playmaking at 6'7" could give him an edge in the best-player-available discussion.

20. Houston Rockets (via Clippers): Brandin Podziemski, PG/SG, Sophomore)

Love for Podziemski has gradually spread, and now teams are considering him the late teens and 20s. He has fans inside Houston's front office for his creativity, shot-making and playmaking, areas he shows enough skill in to overcome physical and athletic limitations.

randerson likes this.
  20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

We need a PG(real one) or a SF and at #4 we're not lined up for either Scoot or Miller which sucks! We got to figure out a way to maneuver for either player or last season would have been a complete waste.

We've got to use #20, along with KJ, Tate, and look for a swap with CHA or POR. We got to leave the draft with Scoot or Miller period!

POR should be interested imo, because they can use Simons, Rox #20 and #4, as a package for a Porzingis, Siakim, Kuzma, Ben Simmons, etc... type of player to pair with Dame. Dame, AllStar, KJ, and Tate is a good haul and should be competitive with their existing roster.

ilias and GotGame15 like this.