1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"What the hell happened to Steve Francis?"-June 2010 SLAM Magazine article

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by stthomsfinest, Jun 14, 2010.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm surprised by those comments. I thought he enjoyed his second stint in Houston... Didn't he still attend games after his "retirement"?

2. stthomsfinest

stthomsfinest Member

The title of the article I think was called "Where is the love?" And he pretty much conveyed that in his article, wanting respect for his game and from teams that are considering to have him or ones that possibly sign him. He had grown pessimistic of teams lack of loyalty and quick pull of a trigger but at the same time he feels he's entitled to star treatment from stuff he did 5 years ago.

Another notable quote in the article that I forgot to mention was him saying: "When last summer came and went (after the 08-09 season) a and I wasn't in training camp, I felt sick to my stomach."

Part of me wants him to succeed and make a decent comeback to the league and at the bare minimum take a type of role that Jason Williams did for Orlando this season or what Rafer did for Orlando when he filled in for Jameer Nelson. The Rockets could possibly give him the chance he wants to show he's still got some left by playing him when he claims that he's "injury-free". Out of all the flak he gets, he was done wrong on his way out. The guy was rehabbing and was just starting to dress out with hopes to play and was talking about needing to get his timing right etc. but the Rockets traded him and made room for Deke. Yes we needed Deke but we axed Francis and had Brent Barry stay with the team when he did absolutely nothing for us that season? He could've been packaged instead and we could've at least eventually seen Francis get his chance.

But overall his mindset has me shaking my head and I'm probably as big a Francis fan as can be.

His last stint with the Rockets was with him playing while ignoring an injury that he needed to have surgery on and was bogging him down since he was with the Knicks. He still claims he's got it, I just want any team to just sign him up and see if he can shut mouths. Give him his injury-free chance and if he disappoints, then we can officially close the book on the guy.

3. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

It's probably not easy to get pt with RA as your coach.
    But, it was probably mostly over for Francis anyway.
    Also, probably the one player who embraced Yao the most when he first came into the league.

4. Shooter3

Shooter3 Member

1 person likes this.
  5. verse

verse Contributing Member

Why would it be difficult getting burn while playing for Adelman? This is the guy that gets lauded for developing young guys and being a players coach. Chase and Jordan saw the floor last year. Landry, in his rookie season, saw valuable court time, as well. Maybe the reality is that Francis was still the petulant punk he came into the league as - remember that refused to help with the young guys on the new team - and coupled with his declining athleticism, he was not good enough to play for us...or anyone else for that matter.

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

7. topfive

topfive CF OG

Buried in a link from that story:

"Retired or well-past-their-prime point guards keep lobbying to play for the Heat. First it was Penny Hardaway and Stephon Marbury (forget those). Now, Steve Francis plans to contact Miami; he's 33 but hasn't played since a quadriceps tendon injury in 2007-08."

The Heat has become a magnet for has-beens. :eek:

I'm surprised they haven't heard from Iverson yet.

8. PeppermintCandy

Some lottery team should sign Francis, Iverson, McGrady, and Shaq.

The OG Big Four.

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

The Clippers. Do the big pre-game introductions and have those four guys roll out on to the floor on Rascal Scooters. :grin:

[​IMG]

10. Raven

Raven Member

He'll be broke before he's 40.

11. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

It was obvious from the day he was drafted by Vancouver that the had a ridiculous entitlement complex. He's clearly covering up his own embarrassment that no team wants him anymore even though he craves being able to play in the NBA again. He used to be seen as untapped potential with his athleticism, which would be great for a 1-on-1 game. His problem was his lack of humility, which blocked his ability to learn. He thought he could rely on his athleticism forever and when it faded, he had no basketball IQ to show for it. Even though Rafer was from and1, he knew how to run an offense, which Francis never knew how to do.

1 person likes this.
  12. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yep. He'd make more money just hanging around the NBA for another 3-4 years, even if he's riding the bench. The businesses he's chosen are all long shots, except for construction. Clothing line? Rap label? Good luck, Steve. Gonna be tough.

13. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

screw what yall haters are saying, Stevie is one top 5 fave Rockets ever! he was all heart, kneeback fan boys cant say that about mclazy, i can keep going..

1 person likes this.
  14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

WOW! :eek: :eek: :eek: You nailed it!

That article confirms everything SF's detractors held against him. The Rockets really blew it when they re-signed him.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Not to turn it into a Miami issue, but its interesting to note the double standard here. Apparently its ok to dump players when they play like crap and have a diva attitude, however its not ok for players to leave franchises that suck crap on a daily basis.

Back on topic, I hope the Franchise knows what he's doing. You can lose a lot of money by getting into business, and having multiple small businesses all starting at the same time is one of the quickest ways to lose it. I'd hate to see another NBA millionaire end up broke when he was trying to expand his wealth.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Actually it IS quite hard to get burn for RA, probably even harder than guys like Brown, PJ or Popovich. With RA, he gets favorites and since he's a players' coach, he gives those favorites ample time to play through and learn from their mistakes. That means the other guys on the rotation hardly get PT (unless they probably tear through the other guys in practice). OTOH, a strict coach like Brown or Pops would probably pull under-performing guys immediately, and try other players instead.

17. Asian Sensation

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/icuT1PJ43nw&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/icuT1PJ43nw&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I swear I thought he was back after this game.

18. PeppermintCandy

Adelman definitely lets his starters to play through mistakes and is slow to make dramatic rotation changes, but he'll also find ways to give minutes to players he feels deserving of it. He's as fair about playing time as I've seen a coach can be.

Francis can be bitter, but the fact is that although Alston was the incumbant, the starting PG spot was up for grabs that season. Alston beat out Franchise, Mike James, John Lucas, and Brooks to keep his job. Skip to My Lou just wanted it more.

19. Trip

Trip Member

Yeah me too. I remember he started the two following games after that one but didn't do much. Then he got injured. What could have been...

20. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Worse. He puts T-Mac's bad attitude into words. The thing is, this bad attitude shows exactly why things didn't work out well for him with the Rockets the second time, and why any team would be foolish to take a chance on him now. Francis just doesn't get it.