1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"What the hell happened to Steve Francis?"-June 2010 SLAM Magazine article

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by stthomsfinest, Jun 14, 2010.

1. verse

verse Contributing Member

There are very, very few players outside of Francis that I am more glad to see out of the NBA. I just despise brats spoiled by their own overrated abilities.

1 person likes this.
  2. deekay209

deekay209 Contributing Member

His kidding? What's a kidding?

You're kidding?

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Sounds exactly like Iverson. Didn't know he was such a primadonna.

4. ABrooks0

ABrooks0 Member

Francis was all cocky and stuff though. Iverson showed some heart, some emotion for the game.
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2reSY2srUMw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2reSY2srUMw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

5. BarkleyHater84

And that's why he is out of the NBA: "The money has to be right though...." and "They had me sitting behind an undrafted player". Really man? At that time, you had just finished stinking it up in NY and think you deserved to start over anyone?

6. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

See you in Bankruptcy Court in 3-4 years.

7. HtownRocket34

HtownRocket34 Member

Steve Francis - what a joke. He used to be one of the best scoring point guards in the league and he fell hard. Knee injuries and a bad attitude will do that. I'm sure he could have contributed on a contender but he has too much of an ego. I met him back in 2007 at a Fonde game and he was a total douche bag. I used to be a big Francis fan but that rubbed me the wrong way. It also showed on the court. He lost his cool for not getting a foul call, threw the ball at the ref and got kicked out of the game towards the end with his team up. Moochie Norris was on the other team and brought his team back for a win. I lost all respect for that guy.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

You know, before I always thought Francis never became the "franchise" because of his inherently flawed game. But now I think it has more to do with his mental makeup. He obviously does not dedicate himself to the game nearly the amount that truly great players have done. Which is why he never took the next step to stardom.

And comparing him to AI is a great disservice to AI. They're not even in the same league in terms of mental toughness. For all the jokes about AI and practice, I bet Iverson was a lot more of a gym rat than Francis. The guy was much more polished than Stevie ever dreamed of.

1 person likes this.
  9. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Am not saying that Daryl Morey don't have loyalty to his players, but he never considers emotion he sees players as assets, so there is no need for steve to be upset for the way the rockets have treated him, he was injured and it was the right time to move him, bcuz he was pretty much done for the year at the time.

10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I think the NBA life just broke him down. When you were once the face of a franchise and then fall off worst than TMac, that has to be difficult to take. Its like he's in denial. You know, like most athletes that stay too long or come back because they don't know when to hang it up.

11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Is there anybody Yao doesn't get along with though? He's a very affable guy.

12. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

a record label, a construction company, a clothing line and boxing promotions...

flushing that money down the toilet

13. yo

yo Contributing Member

Already been pointed out several times, but there's so just many things wrong with this quote. He's shooting around on his home court where his only and most fierce competition is his 2 yr old son. Then he claims he can still play NBA ball. Then he thinks he's worth something more than the absolute minimum. Mind boggling - it was just this attitude that made me not like him very much as a Rocket.

14. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

Hakeem Olajuwon and STEVE FRANCIS were the only 2 players posters I ever had in my room growing up.. I wish u the best Franchise

15. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Daaammmn, I'll "see" your bizarre Norma Desmond analogy and "raise" you with Eve Harrington. I'm 48, and btw those movies were put out before I was born.

On the court, SF3 was a huge waste of talent. I think he was completely deluded about his shortcomings, but the bottom line is he earned a max deal and then cratered.

It's sad to hear him say that he was screwed when we re-signed him though. Adelman threw himself under the bus after we essentially cut Francis by saying "I expected him to be my starting pg", which meant he was supportive of the signing.

Rafer was supposed to be toast and gone, and yet Stevie was the 4th best pg on the team in preseason before we had to make cuts.

If the Rockets were disloyal to this guy, then I'm not sure why organizations would even bother to try anymore.

1 person likes this.
  16. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Wow this surprises me. I knew his mindset was a little off during his playing days but ever since he's been out of the league, in videos I've seem him appear in, he seems to be down-to-earth. These quotes are pretty outrageous, he really is full of himself.

17. Bay Area Rocket

Waited 20 minutes after a Warriors game in Oakland to tell him "good job on the win" and get his autograph, he walked straight towards me and looked at me like I was crazy without saying a word and passed right by me. He gave me that "Eff U" look. I was the only Rockets fan (with my Rockets Classic Cassell jersey) that waited through his post game interview with Worell & Co. He just oozed prima donna that night so this story is not surprising. He did stop to take a photo with another fan though.

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

Evidence to support this?

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Steve has a ridiculous amount of self confidence, which is his biggest strength and weakness. Shame on you guys that are knocking a total gym rat that played his heart out for Houston...

1 person likes this.
  20. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

^^^^^
    I agree with you on your comment I am interested in reading this article and will be looking for this soon. Steve was a guy with a lot of heart and he left it all on the floor. Carol Dawson did a horible job putting talent around him and it led to the way people view him as not a winner.