1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"What the hell happened to Steve Francis?"-June 2010 SLAM Magazine article

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by stthomsfinest, Jun 14, 2010.

1. stthomsfinest

stthomsfinest Member

Hey ya'll

I was just wondering if anybody checked out the new SLAM magazine out this month. The BBS' favorite baby boy :)p) Stevie Franchise has a featured article.

[​IMG]

There really isn't anywhere to read it online but I checked out the magazine at Barnes and Noble and SLAM writer Bonsu Thompson catches up with Stevie and talks about how Francis went from being on top of the world to slipping out the back door of the NBA. It was a very fascinating article indeed.

From what I remember about the article off the top of my head he currently has been busy with many different businesses: a construction company, boxing promotions, His "We R One" Urban clothing line that he cofound with Nick Van Exel and some other former players, a barber shop and most of all his DC Record Label. He only had some candid comments to say about his reunion with the Rockets during the 2007-2008 season, his release and buyout from Memphis. Claim that he is injury-free and is staying NBA ready. Some notable quotes I can remember that I'm paraphrasing.

"NBA players only have a small window, so when I started seeing stories about players going broke and then I had just seen some **** about Antoine Walker, I was like let me put my head into my business for my family."

On how he keeps NBA-ready and a possible comeback: "My agent won't allow me to go out and play streetball because I have nothing left to prove out there, so I work out at my court at home with my 2 yr old son ... I'm still able to get out on the (NBA) court and bust somebody's ass ... If a team calls me up and is interested, give me two weeks and I'm ready to rock. The money has to be right though."

On the Rockets: "They signed me back and they had me playing behind somebody that wasn't even drafted--Skip to My Lou. You can't let a three-time NBA all-star rot on the bench. It really rubbed me the wrong way."

He also basically paraphrased that how the Rockets treated him during his second coming made him cynical towards NBA teams practices compared to back in the day. ie. how the NBA treats players, loyalty/respect and etc.

On getting signed to the Grizzlies and waived "Why would I need to showcase myself at this point and prove myself to a team that wasn't winning and play behind two players (Mike Conley and Kyle Lowry at the time) that haven't proven themselves? My agent worked out a deal to get me out of there..."

I know there was some good stuff that I'm leaving out, like currently NBA players like Ron Artest and Baron Davis commenting on him.

Discuss.

2 people like this.
  2. cardpire

cardpire Member

sounds like he has an awful attitude.

1 person likes this.
  3. blackistan

blackistan Member

Got the magazine in the mail last week..got super excited to see Francis' name on the cover getting some sort of love..miss that guy

4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

It's funny how he sounds just like T-Mac. Injured has been stars don't deserve any type of special treatment. If you fall, you work hard and pick yourself up, and earn another chance when it is provided to you. Did it ever cross his mind that he was on the bench for a reason? It is funny how his agent is telling him he doesn't need to showcase anything. Which idiot NBA team will give a guy with a history of injuries any decent contract. Quit QQ and play the game, otherwise GTFO to China or something.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yep, why not PROVE you belong to be the starter instead of whine about it. That is the oldskool way of doing things after all Stevie. The way they did it back in the day (and still to this day...)

6. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Please type out the entire article and then make me a sandwich. Thank you.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

NBA ready?

His injury was very hard to come back from, it takes a lot of rehab and dedication.

A lot to ask from a guy who got a $30 million lump sum buyout from Portland.

I think he parties too hard and doesn't REALLY Want to come back....

I mean....the whole point where he says...if an NBA team wants me....then leaves an out by saying.."But, it has to be the right price" tells you all you need to know about his mentality.

Done like dinner.

DD

8. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Another Sprewell. He's done.

9. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Wow, that's a poor, self-entitled attitude. He won't be catching on anywhere like that.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

My agent won't let me play pickup ball.......(chuckle)

He has gotten too soft for the NBA.

DD

11. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

He's got that Allen Iverson mindset, except he was never anywhere near as good.

12. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

He wasn't starting back then, what makes him think someone will hand him a starting job NOW after being out of action for so long?

If he's expecting to start and get decent cash he's unbelievably delusional. Even AI will be struggling to find a place. And Stevie is no AI.

13. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

God his attitude is horrible. He doesn't realize that his past accomplishments mean jack right now.

14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Francis is and always was his worst enemy. Though he gave the Rockets some flashy moments, I was never a huge fan. Everything that was wrong with the NBA at the time were those players that felt entitled. Players were all about the money, less about hard work and team. I was so down on that era, but still lived and died with the Rockets. Stevies career was disappointing to say the least, he has himself to blame IMO.

4 people like this.
  15. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

Too bad none of Yao's humility rubbed off on him.

16. tofu--

tofu-- Member

Upsetting to hear this, considering how much he meant to the Rockets.

17. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

18. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

This was almost as painful to read as it was to watch him dribble down the shot clock.

[​IMG]

19. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

He's done. Time to move on people. Him and Marbury will never play another NBA game, Marbury at least tried playing competitive basketball in China for 6 weeks.

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

This is really an excellent brief summary of the whole matter.