1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What the heck is going on? (A's fan here)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Nubmonger, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Let's not split hairs about trash-talking hyperbole designed to provoke. I have both friends and family in Dallas. But generally speaking, having been imprisioned there for 10 years, the above does represent my overall perception. And frankly, my opinion is not too far removed from *most* of the criticism thrown at Dallas.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I still listen to The Ticket; it's very nearly the only remnant I maintain from my time there. After Darvish lost the perfect game earlier this year, you should have heard the vitriol toward the Astros. Not that the Astros don't deserve derision - but their version of it smelled of a fanbase that had no grasp of history, primarily because they've only been paying attention to baseball long enough to think the Astros are nothing more than a terrible franchise. There was such a superiority to it - and it went beyond the Rangers merely being currently better; it was seeped in a feeling that the Rangers have *always* been better.

Again, the world is full of bandwagon fans – I’m (mostly) fine with that. But it’s the lack of self-awareness in Dallas… they still trot out “five Super Bowls” despite that trope now being nearly 20 years old, as if a glorious past somehow elevates the current level of near-constant mediocrity.

4. the shark

the shark Member

Heynow my apologies if I came on too strong in my last post.
    Your entitled to your opinion and though I may disagree with some of your assessments it's all good.

5. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Like how just a few years back they had the "Got 5?" t-shirts while the 49ers also had 5 and the Steelers had SIX. Out of everyone I saw wearing one of those shirts, not one of them was aware that SF had an equal amount or that Pittsburgh had more.

And just like most Rangers Fans, I'd never given them a second glance until Nolan got them into the World Series.

Likewise, I never gave the Mavs a second glance until Michael Finley came in from 3 damn feet out of bounds to steal that pass in Game 6 against the Rockets.

Dallas = arrogance.

F**k Dallas.

6. msn

msn Member

Antics like that are certainly fun to pile on. And, throwing around good-natured ribbing and all that is fun. In the sporting sense, it's fun to "hate" on Dallas.

But some folks in here are like actually piling on hate of people. That's a little much. Hating on people isn't cool.

7. Nubmonger

Nubmonger Member

As a Niners fan, I think the most annoying thing about the Cowboys is the conceit that they are somehow "America's Team". Because Dallas is apparently the capital of America and represents America best and is what America aspires to be. That, and the strange idea that the Cowboys are contenders "every year" when the reality is that they haven't been good, and certainly not consistently good, for over a decade.

Say what you will about entitlement issues, but Niners fans at least have standards (though some would say they are too high). As hard as we rode Mariucci and Garcia, once those guys left we knew we were putting a crap team out on the field, and no one pretended otherwise. You didn't see us running around still pretending to be "America's Team".

You use your past glories as an example of what present and future teams should aspire to be. You don't drape them over a new, mediocre team and pretend like it's the same thing.

P.S. - I'm still confused as to how this thread turned into a list of reasons on "Why Dallas Sucks". =P

8. msn

msn Member

:grin::grin: because any thread, at any time, is a good opportunity to pile on Dallas. :cool:

9. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Dallas sucks.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If the season ended today, the Rangers would not be in the playoffs... the Cleveland Indians would.

HAHA!

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

But the Astros were supposed to let 3 AL West teams make the playoffs...

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed... but hey, Jeter and Soriano are back and they're going to lead the Yankees to the promise land like its the year 2000 all over again.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

and the loss of the Astros in the NL Central should mean fewer wins for those teams. oops.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

With the Pirates/Cards/Reds powerhouse taking shape for years to come, the Cubs stocked with tons of good prospects after their fire-sale... and with daily inter-league matchups eliminating all the excitement (and increased attendance) that used to happen when the inter-league series took place... rumor is that Bud will force the Brewers to move to the AL Central, returning them to their AL roots, and re-instating the integrity of AL/NL-only matchups.

15. MadMax

really? where are you reading that? we go back to unbalanced leagues after moving the Astros there for that reason? i have a hard time believing that is coming.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its a joke... but if allofasudden that issue came up (teams complaining about constant season-long interleague... --hypothetical example: Yankees being forced to play contending NL opponents during the stretch run, while other division opponents got to play them at the beginning of the season)... I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to move the Brewers to get the imbalance back (vs moving the Astros back to the NL).

"The Brewers add more to the table as far as natural rivalries go... with Detroit and Cleveland all being part of the old AL East. We also feel they can build a rivalry with the Twins, who are a nice up and coming team without a natural rival. We also think that Astros-Rangers matchup is too entrenched in that state's history to mess with it and move the Astros back at this time."

17. MadMax

ohhh..should have turned my sarcasm meter on! :)

I agree with you. I can not imagine a circumstance where the Astros would be moved back to the NL in the foreseeable future. At this point, I imagine ownership would resist that, too. They are what they are now...you can either follow it or you can't.

18. Buck Turgidson

Within 10 years there will be a universal DH and a dissolution of the AL/NL as we know it, for all intents and purposes. The teams will be realigned geographically. It's inevitable.

19. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

At one point, I think in the late 70's or early 80's, there was actually a vote by the NL as to whether or not to add the DH there. As I remember the story the Cardinals were the team pushing for it the most, but the day of the vote of GM's a couple of them couldn't get in touch with their owners, and a couple abstained from voting so it never passed, even though most thought more NL teams wanted the DH at that point than didn't.

In any case, I think it is very unlikely that we see another vote like that anytime soon, not in the next decade at least . .in my opinion

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Now that there is an interleague series every single day, the NL is at a competitive disadvantage when they're playing at AL ballparks.

They've already gone to the DH in the minors as well as in spring training... its inevitable that they'll use it in the NL.

Hell, is there even a separate NL office anymore? Pretty sure they're all governed by one entity now, and there wouldn't be a "vote" by just NL teams to approve it.