1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What the heck is going on? (A's fan here)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Nubmonger, Jul 30, 2013.

1. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

The State Fair is the only useful function of Dallas.

2. msn

msn Member

People don't just hate Dallas because of the titles. The Steelers and Packers have won quite a bit, too, and so have the 9ers. Yet you can add those franchises' haters together and not touch the level of hate for "America's team".

1 person likes this.
  3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

That's an excellent point.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Dallas = Arrogant douchebags

Simplest way to put it.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed.

They're the self entitled "rich" kids who thinks their **** doesn't stink.

It's annoying that they try to represent Texas as a whole. I've heard the comparison about them trying to be more like Los Angeles, but I think that's offensive to Los Angeles.

6. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Honestly, it's not. If anything there is less talk coming from Dallas about the Cowboys than ever. If they had never won big, do you really think they would be so hated?

7. The Beard

Very true, and having an owner who is always up front on the media makes it worse and worse also. But, where is the list of teams who are hated and have never won big? That was my point more than anything. I would love for the Astros and Rockets to become hated teams, never gonna have a chance to happen until we win big though. Rockets are primed for that possibility right now when you mix in the chance of championships and the whole Dwight situation! I for one would love it

8. MadMax

Rangers haven't won big, and I still feel that way about them.

Before Mavs won a ring, I still loathed them.

9. The Beard

Yea, and there are some here in Houston that feel that way about anything Dallas. But the majority could care less about the Rangers right now, and it would be a lot more fun if everyone hated them. Same with the Mavs, I hate the Spurs and Jazz much more than the Mavs...maybe that's just me

10. the shark

the shark Member

Some of you just crack me up.
    I've lived in Houston for 46 yrs of my life. I spent one yr in Dallas and a few more up in NYC. I'm a native Texan.

So the entire city of Dallas are "arrogant douchbags"?
    You don't think Houston has it's fair share of douchbags?

The only thing Dallas has going for it is the State Fair. Really?

Let me get this straight as well. I HATE the Cowboys, the Mavs and the Rangers, however their sports teams aren't going to blind me on what the city has to offer. I hate Texas Longhorn sports. Do I hate the city of Austin? No.

I know a ton of really good people that live in Dallas and I spend a bunch of time there for business. In my opinion it's a damn good city, with friendly people, great looking women, and basically just another damn good city in Texas. I'll take Houston over Dallas any day but does the city of Dallas suck? Give me a break.

11. rocketballin

rocketballin Member

Some of you guys act as if the entire city is full of douche bags and Aholes. Guess what every city is even Houston. I've been to both cities and I've never ran into a douche in either. Maybe on the road cus everyone drives like Aholes in huge cities but that has nothing to do with sports. From my experience both Houston and Dallas are great cities with great and friendly people.

12. The Beard

Yea, i'm with ya except for the Cowboys.

My father and his family grew up in the metroplex and moved to the coast before I was born. The metroplex, or Dallas if you prefer, didn't have baseball or basketball at that time so I was born into a family of Cowboys fans who really didn't follow baseball or basketball. In those days there was no regional television for baseball or basketball (kind of like now for most, lol) so I grew up as a small kid listening to the Gene's (Elston and Peterson) on the radio, and became a huge Astros and Rockets fan as a kid. My loyalties have never changed, so i'm a bit of a different fan around here I suppose as a die hard Astros, Rockets and Cowboys fan. Funny thing is, my family (especially dad) which was all football when I was a child, is probably more upset than me about the csn deal and not being able to watch the Astros and Rockets, guess if nothing else I had a great effect on turning them all into Astros and Rockets fans.

And I get being hated because of being a Cowboys fan, I really do. The whole "America's Team" thing rubs people the wrong way and I get it. Jerry obviously gives people who already hate us plenty of ammunition, hell he even gives those of us who love the Cowboys ammunition, lol. But i've been up there so many times to visit family, and hung out in bars there, at Rangers games in my Astros gear, and all out and about. Never really had any bad experiences with the people up there.

As I said earlier though, I would love a good decade of the Astros and Rangers both being good, would be great to have a true rival where BOTH sides hate each other

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yes, yes it does... tremendously. It's a city with absolutely no identity, seeped in Southern Baptist culture that they try their darndest to deny with this false air of metropolitan progressiveness that can't fully suppress their backwards, narrow beliefs. It's lily white, ultra-conservative and it's people - not everyone but the vast majority - are overcompensating chest-thumpers who drive BMWs while living in apartments. They're not nice and they have no self-awareness, which is why the average sports fan there is so overwhelmingly impossible to tolerate.

They are the ultimate bandwagon fans, in a class all by themselves. I lived in Dallas for ten years; for most of that, the city's favorite baseball team was the Astros, who got coverage on nearly the same level as the Rangers. I don't begrudge ignoring a DOA franchise; it's the lack of humility and entitlement they've shown since a team they couldn't have cared less about... five years ago came roaring to life. I saw the same thing happen with the Mavericks.

Oh, sure - Houston has an inferiority complex; a little of the little brother syndrome. No one here is happy that a bad Cowboys team will get as much coverage as a good Texan team. None of us took too kindly to the media pretending the Mavericks and Rockets were two peas in a pod when it came to destinations for Dwight Howard (“But, but…. MARK CUBAN!!!”). We hated to see Nolan Ryan finish out his career in Arlington. (And that’s another thing – their teams don’t even play in Dallas.) But there is no denying that the vast majority of the city is composed of evil, terrible people with an unearned superiority complex.

These are just facts, man......

1 person likes this.
  14. The Beard

Cool, except that as of the 2010 census they were 42.4 % hispanic, 28.8 % black and 25 % white/non hispanic. I really don't think you will find too many big cities that are "lily white, ultra-conservative"

Now if you want to drive out to some small east Texas towns . . . . .

15. the shark

the shark Member

funny how you use "they" when referring to people in Dallas as if "they" all fit into one category.

I'm a Houstonian, and as far as I can see, there's NO "they" in a city that's the fourth largest in the US. Houston has an image of having friendly people around the country. Does this mean everyone is friendly? Don't know about you but I run into assholes and mean people in Houston every day.

I have friends of every ethnicity in Houston & Dallas.

Your facts are just in your own mind and own little narrow mind.

Maybe you should look in the mirror and think about your own "narrow beliefs". Just something else to chew on, but maybe you might try taking labels off of people and look at them as human beings first as opposed to being, "lily white", "baptist", "conservative", and "progressive".

If not that's your choice as well.....

16. MadMax

Cities have cultures. Walk the streets of Boston or SF and tell me that they're just like any other American city. They're not. There are cultures there.

I'm not saying everyone in Boston is that way...but there's certainly a culture that has a predominant vibe. That is true in almost every city in the world. There are some cultures that value some things more than others.

17. MadMax

But the political majority and culture in that town has zero to do with population breakdowns. Just because a region has a split of different backgrounds doesn't mean the culture there necessarily reflects that.

As an example, think of the culture of South Africa for generations....now consider that whites only represented about 15-20% of their population. The population breakdown did not tell the story at all of the culture of that place.

18. The Beard

Fair enough, this all started as a sports teams debate though, and the lily white comment was made so just wanted to show that it wasn't realy lily white. If you do want lily white, check out east Texas though as I said.

In any case, personally, i'd love to have a reason to not just hate the Rangers, but to also have Rangers fans hate us as Astros fans. Got a long way to go before that happens obviously, but it would be fun. That has been my main point here, even if i've done a really poor job of saying it

19. MadMax

I went to Baylor. Waco is in the Dallas media market. Many (if not most) of my friends were from Dallas or one of the surrounding municipalities that likes to call itself, Dallas. One who I was particularly close to is a sportswriter who covers Dallas teams and is on the radio up there. I have family up there. I like all those people.

But there is a culture to that area of the state that is different than there is in San Antonio, Austin or Houston. And it makes for some pretty damn ass obnoxious sports fans. The culture of Miami, for example, makes for some pretty damn ass lazy/casual sports fans. Houston's culture, as varied as it is, makes for lots of transient fans...I think that's BEGINNING to change as the city grows up and you see neighborhoods passed from one generation to the next. People are beginning to stay much more extensively than they did in the past. Over time, I think that means you have more devoted fans of teams representing a city that people feel connected to.

With respect to Rangers fans...it's the johnny-come-lately crap in heaping helpings. A sense of entitlement and superiority (which is oh, so very Dallas) that is based around a team that never sold 3 million tickets in a season until after having won its second pennant. A team that no one...and I mean absolutely no one...I knew followed. No one. I would write that off as anecdotal if it weren't the exact same experience of virtually everyone else.

1 person likes this.
  20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Dallas has had several opportunities over the years to change their "culture"... and what do they do? They just revert back to being the obnoxious "we are better than everybody" self-entitiled city that most of the country (not just Houston) accuses them of being.

They couldn't agree on building the worlds "greatest" stadium within the city limits... then spinned the story as if it was a good thing that all that extra revenue and economic development would be moving out to the suburbs. Their Super Bowl hosting was embarrassing... they went from being a shoe-in to be in the rotation to completley dropping the ball and opening the door for all the other cities that they thought they would eliminate (including Houston). Despite that embarassing performance, they're still shoving that stadium down everybody's throats when even the casual fan realizes it is more for "show" than it is substance... not surprising that the Cowboys barely have a winning record there since it opened.

The Mavs do deserve some respect for being a consistently good/championship winning franchise for several years, bouncing back from being the worst team in the league for almost a decade... but now that they've come back to the pack, they're trying to feed fans the same Kool-aid that Jerry's been spouting about his team for the last 20 years of winning nothing. The comment that they were "glad" they didn't get Dwight, and how the team is better because of it reeks of the typical Dallas culture.

Same thing will happen with the Rangers one day once this run fizzles out. They may even win a World Series. But then it will be blasphemy to consider any other team to be of the same "class" as the "big market" Rangers, for which the majority of "diehard" fans never followed the team before 2011. Juan Gonzalez is somebody's car mechanic to these people.

Dallas says they're "world class" without much to back it up... whereas Houston is "world class" but rarely says it.

1 person likes this.