1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What the heck is going on? (A's fan here)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Nubmonger, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Nubmonger

Nubmonger Member

As a lifelong A's fan, just thought I'd welcome you guys (belatedly) to the AL West. It's been a pretty competitive division, and over the past decade or so could even claim to be the most competitive division in baseball. Having another team around these parts is a welcome addition, if only to mix things up a bit.

For those who are curious, the A's, Rangers, and Mariners have been friendly rivals going back for a good long while. I don't think there's ever been a time where those three teams have actually "hated" each other over the past several decades, even when everyone was clobbering each other trying to get a Wild Card spot even though we all had better records than 90% of the other playoff-bound teams.

The only thing that has changed has been the "new" Angels after they won the championship. Between the Southern California bandwagon fans, the team's free-spending ways, and the franchise change to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, it's a team that has managed to move away from the pack and really stand out as the douchebag class of the AL West. They're kind of like the Yankees - they spend way too much money, get too little in return, and wander around expecting to win while complaining when they don't.

Please join us in our mutual hatred of the Angels Angels of Angelo Angeltropolis.

With all that out of the way - what the heck is going on with your team? I thought you were in the middle of a rebuilding period? Are they blowing it all up AGAIN? I thought the plan was to be competitive next year?

In all honesty, as a division rival, it's hard for me to understand what ownership's long-term plan really is beyond getting lucky in the draft and riding a couple of star players out once every 20 years. If that's the case, you guys are really not going to enjoy being in the AL West. The Angels are always going to be a top-spending team (and thus usually a threat). The Rangers hit in a bandbox (read: they can easily build a team that wins a ton of games at home) and are also no strangers to spending when they want to. The Mariners always seem to call up a superstar when they need to stay competitive, have a record of building smart, strong teams, and are also no strangers to spending. The A's kind of speak for themselves (no money but still find a way to get it done every few years).

The competitive "cycle" in this division runs maybe 5 years, tops, where 2 of the 4 teams are always considered strong (if dark horse) championship contenders in a given year. I really feel for you guys if you're going to be expected to sit out another 5+ years while your team figures out if it has any good players left in the minors. That's just not acceptable from a fan perspective, and I'd be pretty upset at ownership/management if that's the case.

From one fan to another, do you really feel like there is some light at the end of this tunnel? Realistically, how many players in the farm system or upcoming draft can you expect to show up in the majors? How many do you need in order to make an impact for ownership to start spending money and actually build a team? The Mariners called up King Felix a few years ago. The Angels now have Mike Trout. Is just one of those guys enough? Or is your farm system really going to be expected to call up SEVERAL of those types of players in order for the team to even contemplate being competitive in this division?

2. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

We are attempting the Washington National approach of top draft picks and when they come in the league adding around them. I believe Crain will spend money but they are spending the time to rebuild their farm system and keep it stocked.

3. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

we will hate the angels just fine, but first and foremost we are raised in houston to hate the living shiit out of everything dallas.. so fxck the Dallas/Fort-Worth Texas Rangers of Arlington...

4. msn

msn Member

Thanks for the welcome. My favourite team has been in the AL West now for four months, and I still couldn't give a rat's ass about the AL. (nothing personal, huge NL fan here) I've never followed any of the ALW teams, much like you've never followed the Astros.

Our farm right is actually among the best in the business. The Astros' plan is methodical and working (believe it or not). To me, trading a closer who just barely got productive does not constitute "blowing the whole thing up again." We *suck*; we don't need a closer right now. :)

The plan was probably more 2015-2016 if I were to guess. When we look at who we've got coming in the pipeline, and also at the way Luhnow was involved in building the Cardinals and the way they're taking similar decisions now, the future looks bright.

Here's hoping...

5. msn

msn Member

yeah maybe... but the Rangers were so irrelevant for so long, I still can't bring myself to hate them. It'd be like the Rockets hating some Euro-league team. To me, the Rangers are still a hockey team in New York.

6. the shark

the shark Member

The Angels payroll this year is 142 million and they're 48-56
    They have Pujols for another eight yrs and his career is on a serious decline.
    So far the Hamilton investment is off to a shaky start although I'm sure he'll eventually turn it around.

Where in the world did you get that the 'Stros were trying to compete by next yr? No way this is going to happen, and ownership nor their GM has said this.

They're building their farm system, which Luhnow has done an excellent job of doing thus far. Should have another really strong draft next June, and help is hopefully on the way.

I guess only time will tell how this all plays out. Once competitive, will ownership spend $$ to bring in FA to fill in the holes? I guess we'll find out.

7. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

No one expected to be good next year. But I do think we'll be much better. And at least becoma an "up and coming" team.

Hopefully next year we bring up Springer, Singleton, and some of our pitchers. We'll get a full year out of Cosart and Villar to see what kind of players they will be. I think we'll at least be exciting to watch next year.... But who knows.

Expecting another 1st overall pick in next years draft, but I think that'll be our last one for awhile.

As far as when we will be competing for AL West titles... I could see it in 2015.

8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've spent the majority of my baseball fandom not giving a crap about anything that goes on in the AL with the exception of hating ESPN for their non-stop Yankees/Red Sox love-fest. From that perspective the A's aren't really any different to me than the Angels or any other team. When I stop to think about it, I still get pissed about how the team was pushed into switching leagues and it kind of shades any other evaluation of AL teams in general.

But I agree with the previous dude that said trading an average to slightly above average closer on a 100 loss team is not blowing anything up. They're just getting something for a guy they know won't be around in a year or two when we will matter again. There are some remarkably talented guys in our minor leagues, some in the higher levels, some with a lot of promise but probably won't show up in the majors until 2015 at the earliest.

I think among the group we'll end up with at least one guy on the level of a Mike Trout and a lot more good to great guys. That will be enough to get the owner spending again (unless he has been lying all along and never plans to open the purse-strings).

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I wouldn't call trading a first year closer and a #3-#4 type starter as "blowing it all up." It's not like they're trading Castro, Cosart or anybody else they want to be here when the team is competitive again.

Next year is not supposed to be "the year"... But with Springer and Singleton likely coming up, along with Asher and Cosart having a full season. Then, add the possibility of Folty and Appel being literally a phone call away if things look to be going good. And for some real promise... If this team comes out of nowhere and competes, they could do what the Orioles did with Machado and bring up Correa within his second full league season. (Highly unlikely, but then again so was the Orioles turn around).

Even though its unlikely this all plays out next year, you can see what's on the cusp for 2015 and beyond... Not to mention the 2014 #1 pick who could be really fast tracked if the team is competitive.

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The Astros system is loaded right now, and we are likely to have the #1 pick again next year. We've been building a good farm for 3 years now, but it usually takes a while for the result to show. Cosart and Villar are actually the first major arrivals. We aren't the A's, once some of our prospects form a solid core we will be players in FA to fill out the roster.

Veras is a 30 year old journeyman having a career season, and besides that the closer on a bad team is meaningless. Most of us expect to improve next year, compete in 2015 and be ready for a WS run in 2016. And we will keep our players, not trade them once they get expensive.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The payroll has to go up every year simply because the young players make more money every year. The key will be whether or not we will be the type of team that keeps its free agents, or trades them when they're due to make big-time money.

THAT is what separates a low-market team with a cheap owner vs. the rest. I'd actually rather they not spend frivolously on free agent stars and focus simply on retaining their own players and adding pieces here and there.

12. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

The entire premise of your post is wrong pal.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

oh, i hate them. i have enough of it spread around.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It is hard for me to have dislike for any team in the AL outside of the White Sox. The Astros don't have a history with any team outside of against the White Sox besides gimmick Interleague play. My dislike for the White Sox is about the same as that for the Nationals.

15. the shark

the shark Member

"I think among the group we'll end up with at least one guy on the level of a Mike Trout"?

That's a pretty BOLD statement!!!!
    Mike Trout is one of the best players to come up in a LONG time (and we're talking the entire MLB).

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yeah, possible but not likely. Springer is the guy who could look like Trout of course he's several years older already.

17. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Bold. But part of this is true. If we start having some good/great players produce, it will be interesting to see how the FO responds. I have faith that they will pay the homegrown talent when the time comes and breed a championship caliber team when the time presents itself. This will be a few years away, and I am more interested in who they sign in the off season not this year but the next when we should be getting back into contention.

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Bingo was his name, yo. It is the single worse place on Earth. Period. And their fans demand that we unequivocably hate their teams. You will not meet a more entitled gaggle of know-nothing, Johnny-come latelys in all of creation. Just the worst.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Agreed.

My family is out of town...my 13 year old (who you met before) texted me this last night while watching the Rangers/Angels game (quoted directly):

"I hate the rangers more than any team in all of sports. Then mavs then titans then cowgirls then lakers then spurs and then all of the rest of the teams in every sport are also trash. I already hate Angels but mariners and a's will be like reds and pirates but angels and rangers will be my cubs and cardinals."

then

"Why do the rangers hire the dorkiest people to do the tv show? I swear all of these people look the same. DORKIEST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD WITH THEIR TERRIBLE JORTS."

seriously, how great is that? i nearly cried.

right after that it was "#freemaxstassi"

20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Can I rep your son here? I need to get him some more tickets; that was beautiful... is it dusty in here?..... He's all growns up and he's all growns up....

I never understood people arguing against the potential Ranger/Astro rivalry. I certainly understood the issue of it being forced on us... but I have never doubted that it'll be intense once the teams are on equal footing.

IMO, football and baseball both have the same unique advantage over basketball when it comes to building a rivalry: time. The Rockets are in Dallas for a night and gone; all less than 24 hours. But football is once a week - you get 6 days to prepare. And in baseball, teams come to town for 3-4 days a pop. It is sooooooooo much easier, and more cost-effective, to travel for football or baseball games. No one's heading up to Dallas for a random Tuesday night game.

The Cowboys will always be #1 on the hit list here; but once the Astros are good, and assuming the Rangers are still good - that rivalry is going to be intense.

1 person likes this.