1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What skill is the hardest to improve in the NBA?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by malakas, Sep 25, 2015.

Tags:
?

What is the hardest skill to develop?

1. Mid range shooting

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  2. Long range shooting

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  3. Defence

16 vote(s)
    14.2%
  4. Rebounding

6 vote(s)
    5.3%
  5. Finishing at the rim

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  6. Free Throw shooting

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  7. Passing/Playmaking

20 vote(s)
    17.7%
  8. Ball Handling

15 vote(s)
    13.3%
  9. BBall IQ

42 vote(s)
    37.2%
  10. Leadership

8 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I believe in You.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Tony Parker.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is very hard for long and slightly big players whose center of gravity is high to have decent handles...

You got to give it to guys like Lebron, Durant, Tmac those players with handles

4. malakas

malakas Member

Does anyone know/remember of any player in the history of the league who went from Ariza level handles to above average guard handles in the span of 6 months or 1 year?

5. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

6. basketballholic

No, I don't. I believe that a player's handle is mostly developed when they are very young, little leaguers. Developing a handle is kinda like learning a new language. It's much easier for very young people to learn a new language. They can hear it, get the cadence, and start talking it. But as you get older, you become more hard-wired and it is much more difficult to learn a new language. So it goes with your handle. You can make small, incremental improvements in your handle, but all the slick moves, and the combination of handling moves...I believe that is developed or at least the foundation of all those slick handling moves is developed when players are real young. Later on as they get into HS/College/Pros they can then learn how to combine all those fantastic moves they mastered in their youth into different series/combinations of moves which make them have a wicked handle.

I can't remember a player like Ariza with a very rudimentary handle having any sort of drastic improvement. I cringe every time he goes to dribbling.

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Torn between ball handling and bbiq, but voted bbiq. Both are pretty instinctual parts of the game, of course anybody can improve on anything, but I'd say most people (especially grown men who have already been playing the game for years) have a harder time fixing those parts of their games.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

Spending money wisely and saving the rest.

9. malakas

malakas Member

Thanx for your response. I wanted to send you a pm to ask you but you have disabled them.
    Because what I see this year I can't believe and I try to find a historical precedent.
    I don't trust my eyes some times. I can't believe how someone who had last year almost the same handles as ariza to be able to do iso moves, shoot off the bounce with 5 dribbles behind the back and pnr ballhandling .

I know Derozan improved but it took him years and years not six months.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't get the IQ argument. Players improve their IQ all of the time. Posey, Ariza, Horry, Draymond, etc... I feel like I can name hundreds of players.

Court vision, creating for others. That is almost always an innate ability. You either have it or you don't.