1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What should be "Plan B" for the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket_4_Life, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I would go for Josh Smith or Paul Millsap if they want to play for a discount. Don't think they would though. So we should probably stick with our guys, many of whom can potentially have breakout seasons.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Anyway, there is no reason to argue about Josh Smith, Daryl Morey is WAY too smart to sign a volume shooter like that. There's no way a stats guy even takes a second look at a guy like that.

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Again josh smith was asked to shoot in Atlanta, he was there leading scorer on the team that should tell you how desperate they were from needing buckets and why they wanted him to jack up shots for them.

He would not do that here and in no way do i believe that he would care if he was no longer asked to try to carry a team on offense when his main talent is D.

Your argument that he wouldn't be happy is ridiculous, you have no idea whether he'd be happy or not.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough, it doesn't matter one way or the other because there's no way that Daryl Morey or any other GM who is a "stat guy" would even seriously entertain the possibility of paying Josh Smith 12 mil a year or so. I'm sure some "gut feeling" GM who is impressed by highlight reel dunks will waste money on Smith.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Lol right because there's no such thing as advanced defensive stats, only can morey view his shooting percentage and his dunk highlights.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So he wants 2 guys on the court together who can only play defense that are black holes on offense? Doubtful. They'd be better off just keeping Thomas Robinson.

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Asik avg'd 10 points and Smith avg'd 17.5 so lets not say there complete black holes. Also, smith, greg smith that is started with asik for a while and it worked just fine so yes i think McHale could it.

Also, were probably trading robinson before free agency starts for the hopes that we can get howard or paul. So no standing pat with rob.

Im not even saying signing smith would be the right thing for us, i'd probably rather wait for cousins or another disgruntled star next year. I'm just saying he would make our team much better.

8. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

As I pointed out earlier, Josh Smith is not a black hole on offense. He's not amazing, but he's far from a black hole. His RAPM stats for this past season and the season before are 1.2 and 1.9, respectively. Contrast that w/ Asik's -1.7 ORating...someone who actually is a black hole on offense.

9. pwnyxpress

By "RAPM stats" above, I meant the ORating portion. His actual RAPM stats are obviously higher due to his defense (posted in my comments on the prior page).

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I get what you are saying, but with the Clippers/Celtics deal done, it all but ensures CP3 stays in LA and Dwight leaves for Houston since he won't be able to join up with him.

11. pwnyxpress

I hope so. I don't know if LAL or HOU has the edge right now on Dwight. Guess we'll find out in 3 weeks. So many conflicting reports. I do think though it will be either us or LA.

I would obviously prefer Dwight over JSmith. I don't even know if I would sign JSmith for $12M a yr for 3-4 yrs as a Plan B or C, but my point earlier was just that JSmith will be a net positive for us on offense, esp. since he fits in our system so darn well (few others would fit so seamlessly) and more importantly, brings a ton of defense at the exact positions where we need it. He'd be a marked improvement for us...just probably not enough to get us over the hump (i.e., WCF).

12. RedHotRockets01

Any way we can steal Bledsoe from LAC?

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

They wouldn't want anybody on the roster except parsons, picks and maybe for us to take either butler or jordan on with him. All very steep prices, better off not touching that deal.

14. tr3yzle

tr3yzle Member

This. Save the money. Lin,Harden,Parsons,LeBron,Asik.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That roster would be awesome in a 2K game, but there's no way it's happening in real life

16. faraza84

faraza84 Member

ya next year would be a disaster, i expect bron wade and bosh stay or form another superfriends. Its too risky. If he we can get dwight without losing many pieces we should do that and sign a decent pf and just go to war with the team. Honestly our players will get better so we should just let em grow.

17. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

I'm a little surprised that none of you seem to like my Andray Blatche for $3.5 mil idea at PF.

Among the following high caliber (much higher earning) PFs/Cs, Blatche has some very competitive numbers on a per 36 basis. By the way, I realize that per 36 can sometimes be misleading, but this isn't a guy who was only averaging 8 minutes per game. Blatche averaged nearly 20 mpg. The #'s are as follows:

Blatche: .512 FG%, 9.7 TRB, 2.0 stl, 1.3 blk, 19.5 ppg, 21.9 PER, 101 DRtg
    Aldridge: .484 fg%, 8.6 trb, .8 stl, 1.2 blk, 20.1 ppg, 20.4 PER, 107 drtg
    Griffin: .538 fg%, 9.2 trb, 1.3 stl, .7 blk, 20.0 ppg, 22.4 PER, 102 drtg
    Jefferson: .494 fg%, 10.1 trb, 1.1 stl, 1.2 blk, 19.4 ppg, 20.9 PER, 104 drtg
    Millsap: .490 fg% 8.4 trb, 1.5 stl, 1.2 blk, 17.2 ppg, 19.8 PER, 104 drtg
    Smith: .465 fg% 8.6 trb, 1.3 stl, 1.8 blk 17.8 ppg 17.7 PER, 101 drtg

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=blatcan01&y1=2013&p2=millspa01&y2=2013&p3=griffbl01&y3=2013&p4=smithjo03&y4=2013&p5=jeffeal01&y5=2013&p6=aldrila01&y6=2013#per_minute::none

18. pwnyxpress

Blatche is a meh option; I don't know if he'd be my plan B. Would he sign for $3.5M? How many yrs? I like how he can actually stretch the floor as well at 16-23 ft (though his 3-15 ft conversion rate leaves a lot to be desired). His rebounding isn't great either, and he needs the ball in his hands a bit too much for a PF of his caliber (usage rate is a whopping 26.6% this past season).

What's worse, it isn't just his rebounding that is sort of meh; his RAPM for this yr and last yr are both terrible. Like, below average bad. He has a negative ORating and a negative DRating, consistently lol. That is pretty darn troubling.

19. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Blatche has two years salary from Washington Wizard, if he can join us, the salary isn't a problem, LLE OK

20. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

All coaches dislike and hate Josh Smith to jack 3p in Atlanta, but Josh doesn't care