1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

what sg are still available, or what sg should we be targeting?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketboi, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

now that we have miller, that solves most of our paint problems, which was the main focus, but now we have to focus on your other huge gap. the backup sg position. i just want to know who is available and if imo these are the best assets we have to offer...

battier, jeffries, budinger, patterson, hill, and 2 n.y picks.

that seems pretty reasonable right? i mean imo the most crucial parts of the team are these..

pg brooks lowry
    sg martin
    sf ariza
    pf scola
    c yao, miller

i think these 7 are the most crucial to our success as a championship. and its obvious we arent going to trade all the assets. just saying i think those are our most valuable ones, without messing up our core.

so with that in mind....who can be the one to fill our backup sg spot?

2. Tmcrcks1

Tmcrcks1 Member

i have always liked the way rudy fernandez has played. Great three point shooting.

3. RoxTurk

RoxTurk Member

Dumars says Rip Hamilton is on trading block for exprings. We can make a shot at him. Martin& Rip would be intresting.

4. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

For $12.7 million a year over the next three years, I'll pass on Rip. Especially since he's basically the same player as Martin, except 5 years older and not as good.

We really don't need a backup 2. Martin is going to play 35 minutes a game and Brooks and Lowry are going to get some playing time together. Add in the fact that Ariza, Budinger and Taylor can all play the position with some degree of competence, it really makes no sense to give up any of our assets for a backup shooting guard.

5. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I agree... the next move we make (perhaps at the trade deadline) should be one, in which we send out several of our assets, to attain one that might put us over the top (Paul, Granger or something along those lines).

Other than that I´d say we are set with a pretty balanced teams!

6. typhooonn

typhooonn Member

some fvvking b!tches gave 1 star to this thread.

7. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

It's backup sg.

Ariza, Battier, Budinger.

8. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

One practical solution would be the acquisition of Roger Mason, a 6-5 PG-SG who shoots with range and clutchness, rebounds well for a guard, has great handles and defense and is experienced on both ends of the floor. Mason would be a serious upgrade over Taylor while providing better chemistry as well.

9. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

No this doesn't make any sense to be at all. We don't need to be 10 rotation players deep, there won't be enough minutes to go around. As it stands right now, Martin will get 35+ minutes at the two. The rest will go to Taylor, Battier, Bud, or Brooks depending on match up and what the coach's plan is.

The only possible hole we have is at backup PF with Patterson/Hill/Hayes. You could argue that Patterson and Hill don't have the experience and Hayes doesn't have the offense. I'd argue that Patterson and Hill will be fine, especially now that Scola won't be playing much 5 and will use up more minutes.

You are right that we have some assets that we can't utilize, but instead trading off for another rotation player, I'd much rather combine two or three for an upgrade at the two or three...primarily the 3. I'm not a fan of really trying to upgrade at the one, and I'd be surprised if there is a 4 better then Scola that can be had at this point.

10. jason3333

jason3333 Member

typical sunday morning GM! we have plenty of SG, aaron brooks can play SG while lowey plays PG when martin is on thye bench.

11. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

We are not going to be able to put together a All Star Perfect team fellas. You want a trade or move after every other move Morey does. Gheeez. Can we see how this group plays first before we ship out 3 of them for another new player? Can we let Hill,Budinger, Taylor, Patterson, heck even Andersen, develop for a year or so? We have nice depth as is. We wont have a 11 man rotation. We need young guys that can produce when called upon, but at the same time they are developing for our future. Cant keep trading and trading and trading and trading like you guys seem to want Morey to do. I know this is the slow part of summer, but we wont be chasing any major FAs now.

12. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

We need efficient shooters more than we need volume shooters.

13. PeppermintCandy

Battier and Budinger should be enough to man the 2, 3 spot of the second unit, with Taylor getting some minutes as well.

A second unit composed of:

Lowry
    Budinger
    Battier
    Hayes/Patterson
    Miller/Hill

isn't bad. It will probably lack the offensive punch of early last season's bench mob anchored by Landry, but could be better overall.

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

Ever hear of Jermaine Taylor and Chase Budinger?

15. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

This team has enough depth. The next trade should be focused on acquiring a Granger, Iguadola...any young star-lite player who can grow over the next few seasons with our players. I prefer a wing because Ariza is our weakest starter. These players are not only upgrades on the offensive end, but on the defensive end as well.

16. rawool

rawool Member

Yeah, I was going to say, what about Taylor? He didn't do too bad last season when he started a few games when Martin was out. I'm sure he wouldn't be too bad as a backup given a few more games.

17. jhagerdorn

jhagerdorn Member

... but aren't the rockets going to HAVE to make a trade? the way i count, we have too many players under contract... Won't they have to slim down the roster? and if soo, wouldnt they go for a backup 2?

and you also have to remember that 35 mins a game for martin sounds great, but remember that he is (as yao) injury prone. He was not with us a whole year last year, and he went down with a shoulder injury....

just a thought...

18. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

* Finley for the vet. minimum
    * Marquis Daniels, if we have money left and/or trade some players.
    * Willie Green togheter with Iggy in a trade for Ariza, Hill and Jeffries.

Make your choice ...

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

McCants is healthy......last year he wasn't.

DD

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]