1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What say you Clutchfans?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sydmill, Dec 9, 2013.

1. sydmill

sydmill Member

Okay, so I obsess about building teams. I think about the draft and free agency and how pieces fit and I can't help but waste the day putting the puzzle pieces together. With that, and the fact that I am bored at work, in mind, here is what I would do were I Rick Smith/Bob or Cal McNair/whoever is running the show at Reliant:

Coach(es): Assuming what Bob said at his press conference is accurate, the guy I am hoping we hire is Mike Zimmer ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Zimmer ). I like that the guy has NFL experience, has paid his dues, and is a Defense guy. What I also like is that he sounds like an a$$ kicker. I think we need a guy who will hold guys accountable and won't BS the media, the owner, or the fans. Obviously he will make the decision about who makes up his staff, but I would hope he'd consider bringing his fellow Bengal coach Hue Jackson with him. Jackson also brings a wealth of experience, but, if you watched Hard Knocks, also has a passion for the game and seems like a coach guys play hard for. He has also done well given the talent he has had to work with during his coaching career. Neither of these guys have Texas ties, and that could be a drawback for McNair, but they have NFL experience and seem to be valued coaches for their team and in the profession from what I read.

Free Agency: wish I had a firmer grasp of how the cap works in the NFL. Unfortunately, I don't. So without mentioning specific names, it'd be nice to grab some depth on Defense and maybe a RB who doesn't command the same $$$ as Tate but doesn't leave us with a guy off the street in the event Arian's return is derailed or he isn't the same guy newt year.

Draft: Had Mariota come out, he was the guy I wanted. I am just worried we are grabbing Teddy simply to say we got the best QB in this draft class rather than because he is a stud. I also think that Case can succeed as a game manager with a team of guys supporting him as opposed to the half interested (outside of JJ and AJ) team we have put on the field since he took the helm. Therefore, I propose the follwoing trade: 1-1 to Minnesota for 1-3, 2-3, and either 3-3 or the Seahawks third rounder owed to Minnesota. I would see about moving back into the first with our and Minnesota's second as well, but for the purposes of this hypo will leave us there. I'd pick these players (only doing first three rounds as even that is nothing more than a guess pre bowl season, combine and interviews).

1-3: JD Clowney-DE-SC. I'd think Minnesota goes Bridgewater, St. Louis goes Matthews (my assumed draft order), leaving JD for us. The thought of a Clowney -Watt combo has been discussed but is truly scary for the rest of the NFL (I'm looking at you A. Luck!).

2-1:Scherff-OT-Iowa. Say ta-ta to Derek Newton, there's a new Scherff in town!

2-3: J. Gilbert-CB-OSU. As a rookie, he'll push Kareem Jackson to FS. As he grows he's the #1 corner.

3-1: A. McCarron-QB-Bama. Don't think he'll be a superstar, but he won't be a bust either. Is at least good enough not to lose us games if he beats out Case.

3-3: M. Jensen-TE-Fresno St. TE is the new mismatch position in the NFL. Jensen may not bring the stats given his team's spread offense and multi-WR formations, but he should test well and could move up boards.

In the later rounds I'd like to take a look at Mike Davis, WR -UT as well to add to our stable of wideouts.

2. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

Solid draft. I'm a huge fan of Bridgewater, but asides from that I like all the players (barring McCarron of couse, since I want Teddy)

3. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

The first 3 picks aren't bad. I however wouldn't touch McCarron with a 10 foot pole. Bama's track record for QB's is atrocious, and you've already got your "game manager" on the roster in Keenum. No sense in having redundancy like we've had on this roster for years.

As far as Gilbert pushing Kareem, I would highly doubt that. If at all, He'll be the #2 corner with Kareem at #1. Even if you have a guy that pushes Kareem out of the #1 spot, he would then become you're second CB. By no means would he ever move to safety. He would be a tremendous safety, but if you draft a starter at CB, you then must let Jjo go considering how far in decline he is. Then you still haven't addressed your slot corner, and that is your largest hole on this defense.

You've also failed to address the many holes at the LB positions. You need both ILB and OLB's. You need starters, and you won't find them in the later rounds. You need security up the middle, Cush keeps getting injured and who knows what he'll be come when he gets back. Even with cush you still have issues with Mays and Sharpton platooning as the number 2. Tarpinian has shown good coverage skills, which is what we we need, but I simply can't trust a UDFA as the starter at this moment.

I haven't even addressed the OLB position. Reed is simply bad in all facets. Merci shows signs, and then regresses. After them you still have no one to rotate. Braman is assuredly gone. He isn't **** on special teams or as an OLB.

And if you feel Case is worthy to start an entire season, I would be prepared to have a top 3 pick in the draft again. Which may or may not be your goal with this draft and the following season. There could be a better selection of QB's that year as well.

4. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

The coach we hire will dictate everything.

If it's Lovie Smith or Mike Zimmer, I think we draft Clowney. Though, as I talked about in this other thread, switching to a 4-3 will be tough, and require commiting to a zone-blocking scheme on offense for at least another year.

Shanahan or Cable? Bridgewater.

Whisenhunt? Matthews.

There are a lot of possibilities.

5. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

And Justin Gilbert available in round 2? Keep dreaming. He'll be the first CB off the board.

6. cmpatel

cmpatel Member

Scherff is returning to Iowa for his senior year

7. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

lol @ this crap thread...

dude, there is ZERO chance rick is drafting clowney.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I hate to be "that guy" but......

I stopped reading at Hue Jackson. Of all the NFL teams, you want to raid the Benglas coaching staff? The Bengals???

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if they end up going to the Super Bowl. Bernard has given them a big x-factor on offense that takes pressure off Dalton in the passing game. Their defense has remained opportunistic despite losing Atkins (although the Colts scored points on them last week, with the game already decided).

I wouldn't want Hue Jackson... but wouldn't say no to Zimmer or Jay Gruden as possible candidates.

10. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I like the TE pick. I would place a higher priority on DB help over O Line. We got Quessenberry and Brennan Williams in the last draft. If we're letting Smith walk, then Quessenberry slides in that spot and Brennan Williams goes to OT spot. Now Quessenberry is probably the real deal, but questions surround Williams. Is he an upgrade to Newton? Dunno. So maybe Scherff is a better option.

It needs to be a good draft for the Texans FO evaluators, or they gone.

11. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Don't need to draft a QB since the Texans will probably trade for Cutler.

12. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Mike Zimmer in particular is a strong candidate, but while he has run 3-4 in the past, he's primarily a 4-3 guy. Hard for me to see us making a big change like that to the one phase of the Texans that isn't a train wreck.

13. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Yep, Rick Smith will trade for a FA... :rolleyes:

14. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Texans defense isn't a trainwreck??!!

15. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Not really. They've been chipped away at by injuries, but are still #3 in total defense. They've been royally screwed over by the offense & special teams all season.

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

If I were McNair I would concentrate on one thing and one thing only... find the best possible GM. After that, I let said GM work and provide all the help I can give him in terms of support structure.

Changing a coach doesn't solve our draft issues, unless said coach becomes the de facto GM.

17. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Worst red zone defense in the NFL

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-red-zone-scoring-pct

Forced the fewest turnovers in the NFL (9)

That's all on the defense who have been hot garbage all year long.

18. sydmill

sydmill Member

Agreed that I think Smith's performance has been suspect with respect to the draft. Regarding Bridgewater, I haven't seen him enough to really say how good he is more could potentiallh be. It sounds like the jury is out on his franchise potential. What scares me is the thiught that we pull a Blazer-in-1984 debacle (Bowie over Jordan) simply because we put a premium on position rather than player.