1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Power forward should we go after?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ScolaIsBallin, Nov 1, 2012.

Tags:
  1. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

Haven't we all learned a lesson on speculating? A year ago would you have thought the Thunder would have given up Harden for anything?
    Players become available on a dime, there are very few truly "untouchable" guys in the league, so to me there is no point in analyzing who to upgrade to. Morey and the front office are seeing exactly what we see and I'm sure they agree we need to upgrade at the PF position.

2. maizer

maizer Member

Long time Minnesota fan here, and getting Love isn't that far fetched. Minnesota made a huge mistake and gave Love a deal where he can become an unrestricted FA in the summer of 15. In fact, just a few months ago, he gave 'the interview'.

"It's tough seeing all these guys that are young and older who have all played in the playoffs. When they start talking about that, I have nothing to talk about. If I don’t make the playoffs next year I don’t know what will happen."

"At this point, I’m not afraid to go on the record," Love said. "Being around these [USA] guys, they know the situation I’m in and how competitive I am. I want to win. All the players on the Timberwolves feel the same way, as well. The coaching staff is awesome. They want to win and win now. Hopefully, we can make some stuff happen.

"I would say it's coming down to it for sure [next season]. It's no secret I was willing to commit to Minnesota for five years. I'm very happy with my contract. I'd love to be in Minnesota. But like anybody else, I want to win."

With Rubio still out I don't see my Twolves doing too well this season, unfortunately.

1 person likes this.
  3. jvu

jvu Member

howard, cousins, smith, Aldridge, or love

I'll take any of those guys

4. trowa

trowa Member

marc gasol

5. LikeMike

LikeMike Member

I think if we want Josh Smith we can get Josh Smith. And I also think that people here are underestimating him. He is a great defender and a real crafty offensive player and great rebounder. And although he has been in the league for 8 seasons, he is only what, 26 years old? So he would actually fit right in...

But I still don't think he would make us a contender - don't even know if Aldridge or Love would. I still think we would need another piece after that. We are not as close to being a contender as some people on here hope... But it sure is exciting right now...

6. Mr Striker09

Mr Striker09 Member

The other players you guys listing is pretty unrealistic. As for Cousins though i can see that happening. Depends how the Kings season go and their players.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

I agree with this post entirely, and posted as much a few above yours.

The only concern I have with Smith is he's just not a very efficient scorer outside of the rim. Playing alongside Asik, it'd be nice if he could hit a 10-15 foot jumper with some consistency. He really can't. Because you want a Harden-Smith pick and roll to also include a pick and pop option, so that Asik's defender has to rotate over to Josh.

See: http://hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=Josh Smith

David Lee is better in that regard, but a much much worse defender.

Smith is also unique in that he is a free agent, so as you note, the team can save assets. Pick up Smith as a FA, use assets to trade for a final piece.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It would depend on what Rockets gave up for Aldridge...not that Portland is likely to trade him. Asik, Aldridge, Harden, and Lin would be a very nice core. Maybe not contender, but pretty close. Aldridge would give the Rockets a good backup center.

9. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

I agree with you that Smith has not been as effective playing in the 10-15 foot range, but I think that is in part due to the fact that he's never played with guards that genuinely space the floor, a lack of which leads to crowding and shots being contested. I think Lin and Harden would uniquely produce the kind of situation where he could thrive because they open up the whole court. Also, he has never played with an elite pick and roll player, or even a very good one, and right now we have 2 of those kind of guys.

10. trowa

trowa Member

we really dont need a ballstopper like josh smith.
    next

11. Amel

Amel Member

Kevin Love or LaMarcus Aldridge if we wanna be title contenders..

12. Obito

Obito Member

Lamarcus Alridge please.

13. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

The PF doesn't have to do anything but catch lobs from Lin or Harden. The SF position is what we really need to develop as a 3rd offensive threat. We have Delfino for now but Parsons is not our man. He'll have a smaller role because of Harden and with Martin gone we're short one outside shooter.

14. fgutierr

fgutierr Member

You little girls need to calm down. Every player not named Harden was bad, and yes even the believed Great white hype Parson was stinking up the arena. Pat will be back and in time Mchale will rotate in the PF rookies. McHale has to give the vets the chance first. Really... give the players time to get the butter flies out of there system. :cool:

15. 713

713 Member

Carl Landry.

16. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

Paul Millsap + T-Jones sounds great combo to me...

17. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

OMG I miss him...:(

18. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Can we wait until we see what the other 5 big men on our roster do at the spot before we start wishing to "upgrade" for a named player?

Also Kevin Love I think is locked up with the Timberwolves isn't he? I remember hearing something about him signing a 3 or 4 year extension last season.

19. vernonmaxwell86

Paul Millsap or Al Jefferson seems the most likely

Utah has to give Favors and/or Kanter increased minutes at some point

20. rolyat93

rolyat93 Member

Why trade for one? We already have plenty with room to grow, and we're not contending this year anyway. We've got our building block, we need to build slowly and not get greedy trying to break the bank on a 2nd tier guy.

1 person likes this.