1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What player do YOU want to select in the 2022 NBA Draft?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bo6, Apr 19, 2022.

?

What player do YOU want to select in the 2022 NBA Draft?

1. Chet Holmgren

43.2%
  2. Paolo Banchero

8.3%
  3. Jabari Smith

45.8%
  4. Jaden Ivey

1.9%
  5. Other

0.8%
  1. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

My question is how many says Chet this year that said no to Mobley last year? Jabari all the way.

2. Losmi_34

Losmi_34 Member

If we get lucky in the lottery and get to choose from the top 2 prospects, I would lean towards Jabari. But both guys have some drawbacks to them which prevent them from separating from the pack.

Jabari and Chet are guys that slot in perfectly in our team, albeit for different reasons. I think both will benefit from the increased spacing in the NBA. Jabari has a perfect shot already, and a NBA ready body. What I don't like about him is that he seems to be a bit slow footed to truly be a menace on the court.

Chet on the other hand has more upside and potential impact, a true unicorn on both sides of the floor, but I'm scared that he's going to be in street clothes more than in his jersey. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I watched our seasons get crushed by untimely injuries to Yao and T-Mac, and I don't think that his body will hold up to the rigors of the NBA season+playoffs.

For that reason I lean towards Jabari. But I'm not going to overthink it until the lottery passes and We know our slot in the draft.

3. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

klay has a very advanced dribble game??? what in the hell are you watching.... klay's ballhandling is and has always been below avg and he's had mostly nonexistent playmaking his whole career. the reason he is considered an elite player is because he has truly elite shooting, and played great defense (before his two major injuries). players like reggie miller and peja stojakovic couldn't handle the ball, yet were clear difference makers and even elite in their prime just for their ability to shoot the hell out of the ball, even while playing below avg defense. with jabari, you're getting elite shooting + defense.

klay does have one of the quicker releases in the nba, but jabari has a pretty quick release as well - he doesn't have the initial 'bringing the ball down' to initiate his shooting motion - his shooting mechanics are really smooth and efficient. add that to the fact that jabari has a much higher release point than klay, i don't see any reason why he would have trouble getting his shot off in the nba. as for his dribble game - many of us have already fell for your bait and told you exactly why in this thread (along with the other jabari thread) that dribbling is definitely something that can be worked on and the kid is still not even close to fully developing his game. he's shown enough wiggle and already has a nice pull-up jumper - i see no reason why he won't be able to develop a few more moves to complement what he already has. and again, we're talking about a nearly 7 ft elite jumpshooter... if someone is running to close out on jabari, he really only needs 1-2 dribbles from anywhere along the perimeter and he'll already be at the rim.

a lot of us aren't necessarily in favor of banchero over chet/jabari because his midrange game is the epitome of inefficient shot selection and he has some tendency to be a ballstopper. personally, i'm not in favor of banchero b/c of his lack of defensive focus and intensity. chet and jabari play much more disruptive defense blowing up plays, causing turnovers, and cutting off angles. banchero usually sits and waits for the action to already develop - he just doesn't have that defensive instinct the same way cwood always seems to be a second or two too late and is caught ball-watching.

JusBleezy, 34to11, randerson and 8 others like this.
  4. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I challenge OPs assumption that Chet would guard bigs. I mean sometimes he would, but wouldn’t Sengun match up with centers? Like he does now with Wood on floor.

JusBleezy and D-rock like this.
  5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I'll keep it as simple as I can because I think we're going in circles and getting stuck on semantics. I'm willing to bet on an 18 year old with high work ethic improving and adding to his game. you may not be.

JusBleezy, D-rock, Milos and 3 others like this.
  6. tc0330

tc0330 Member

gimme banchero

fadeaway likes this.
  7. raining threes

^^^^
    This

cmoak1982, D-rock and deb4rockets like this.
  8. xaos

xaos Member

Good news for us Rockets fans

JusBleezy and D-rock like this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

No I think the same thing my issue is that certain with certain skills you need an innate ability and have needed to a start developing that ability at a young age.

To compound that everybody raves about Smiths work ethic, yet he still has yet to develop that skill, which really raises a red flag, so either he thinks he does not need to do it or he has tried and still can't do it at a high level or is averse to dribbling.

Shooting is a skill that a lot of guys have developed, yet we still have Simmons who refuses to shoot, I think the dribbling may be a mental thing as well and the NBA will prey on that weakness.

With that said I would still love to have him, my entire point is that it's something that must be looked when I am judging him against the other guys, I think there are several other guys who have higher ceilings while having comparable floors.

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

YUGE

JusBleezy and xaos like this.
  11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I don't think its fair to assume what anyone is thinking or feeling. I mean, we agree that its a weakness of his, but we disagree on whether or not he can improve there. overall I don't think you could ever get enough shooting or defense, even if that's all you ever get out of him, if its an elite level of both I'd probably take that over scoring/playmaking of banchero. with banchero you're basically signing up for him to lead a good portion of your offense, and if he's not a very efficient offensive engine, or a plus on D, you're signing up for a mid tier playoff team lead in part by a Julius Randle type guy. sure, if the defense and efficiency come around, you could get lucky with those Tatum comparisons. but understand I have jabari/banchero as my 1/2 with Chet 3, and I flip flop a lot. I'm curious how you would rank the top 4 and why. I feel like we've discussed/compared jabari and banchero enough. Where do you have them in relation to chet and ivey?

JusBleezy likes this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This is true.

I don't know why Banchero has to judged on being able to lead a good portion of your offense, that's a interesting way to look at a player, why can't he just be a key piece are we judging the other guys that way?

I also don't know what Randle has to do with anything Banchero is a much more skilled player than Randle, should I compare Jabari to a high end 3&D guy and then say you are signing up for low tier playoff team?

What Tatum comparisons?, anybody comparing Smith to Tatum at this point is really reaching they are nothing alike at this point.

Can I compare Banchero to Lebron, because that makes more sense than comparing Smith to Tatum.

I have Banchero #1 and don't really have a #2 it would probably be Smith because I can see a most of what I have seen translate.

If I am going pure upside it's Ivey after Banchero, Chet is #4 because physically I just don't know how effective he will be going against NBA guys.

I would look hard at some other guys before Chet because I don't like to gamble and I could be way off base and Chet is actually a transcendent player.

htownrox1 and peleincubus like this.
  13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Banchero comp is Julius Randle. If he was half the player Lebron was he would be consensus number 1 prospect.
    It’s funny you like Mobley and think he’s a super high end prospect, but think Chet will fail in the NBA. Almost identical prospects with Chet having a higher offensive upside.

smoothie, clutchdabear and D-rock like this.
  14. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Holmgren for sure -- best player, best fit. The Rockets need defense and rim protection. The fact that he can shoot too is huge. Excellent fit with Green. Draft the unicorn if you have the chance. Would you want to be the team that passed on Kevin Durant because of fears he was too skinny?

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You are exhibiting stalking behavior, nobody reputable comps Banchero to Randle, but then you are the guy who claims Garnet is a comp for Holmgren.

Let's make a bet if you show me one post of me saying Chet will fail in the NBA, I will delete my account if you can't put me on ignore.

Bet?

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

So several draft scout websites that have Randle as the direct comp aren’t viable? Chad Ford isn’t viable?
    Yet you, of all people, can claim he’s Lebron? When literally no one has ever mentioned them in the same sentence.

You’re a hater, period. And it’s real suspect you fawn over Mobley but hate Chet when they’re almost identical prospects.

clutchdabear likes this.
  17. thekad

thekad Member

I’ll take Chet and Eason.

18. kpdark

kpdark Member

Banchero.

fadeaway likes this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you did not decide to take my bet.

Coward.

Show me one instance of me hating on Chet fool or STFU.

20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Lol, don’t get mad kid.

Everyone knows you hate on Chet constantly. It’s literally everywhere. Don’t try and act like you don’t. It was the same with Green last year.
    Just admit you love attention from thinking you’re “different” when in reality you’re a pathetic lonely attention seeking dork.

clutchdabear likes this.