1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What player do YOU want to select in the 2022 NBA Draft?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bo6, Apr 19, 2022.

?

What player do YOU want to select in the 2022 NBA Draft?

1. Chet Holmgren

43.2%
  2. Paolo Banchero

8.3%
  3. Jabari Smith

45.8%
  4. Jaden Ivey

1.9%
  5. Other

0.8%
  1. CXbby

CXbby Member

Great players find a way to play with each other, especially when they want to play with each other. Paolo already has a prior relationship with Jalen and kpj and have respect for each other. He said kpj was the toughest player he's had to guard, and Jalen called him his little bro.

Chet and Jabari's player archetype fits better here, and if you told me we were getting the best versions of them then I'm taking Chet over everyone. But 4/10 times he might be out of the league due to injury, 4/10 times he might not be able to adapt to the league physically, and 2/10 times he's a generational HOFer. Meanwhile Paolo might be a Tatum/Odom hybrid allstar 7/10 times but never have the probability of being anything better.

Which one do you take? That's what I mean by evaluating based on the average outcome vs the best case outcome. Now I don't know what the actual probabilities are, but my feeling is that people are viewing Chet /Jabari way more at their best case, and discounting Paolo because his best case is lower even if his average outcome may be the highest.

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

true, his body broke down. A true foot fault. He could bang v anyone, Shaq included. And did.

TMc broke down. His back.

stuff happens to professional athletes. Also to us old, broken down fossils. Just remember Yao didn’t break down in any regard to the concerns with Chet. Will he physically mature? I don’t know, cannot forecast. All I can do is guess. My guess is if he’s committed to his career, to be great then he’ll be a lot more filled out before his rookie contract expires.

JusBleezy and D-rock like this.
  3. PatBev

PatBev Member

Stone has my full trust. I think Houston will be a much more exciting, attractive, and very marketable with the team & plan he has for the future

I’ll never forgive him if he drafts a guard

We aren’t winning anything with Tate at the 3/4 & Senguns lack of size

Get KPJ/Jalen a power forward with size & strength like jabari and can also shoot. 43% in college at 6’10 is wild & he looks ready to naturally pack on muscle with age, unlike Chet

Go after Morant since we have his nba butt buddy Jalen if KPJ doesn’t work out at point

D-rock likes this.
  4. vator

vator Contributing Member

I don’t know.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I feel like Chet is one of the few players in the league that would allow Sengun and Garuba to strive at center.

JusBleezy, D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  6. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Chet Holmgren is overrated.

red5rocket likes this.
  7. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

I’m always switching between Chet and Jabari. I think I would take the gamble and go all on Chet… would have to develop him slowly but If it works we will be a great team.

8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Excellent reason why Jalen Green and Porter could bring out the best in Jabari.

Must see video, for us draft junkies.

100% approve. Titus & Tate were spot on.

9. PWR

PWR Member

Give me height and defense for both picks.
    Draft Chet Holmgren to play the 4.
    Draft Mark Williams to play the 5.
    Chet had the #1 defensive rating in the NCAA.
    Mark was ACC Defensive Player of the year.

Starters
    Kevin Porter Jr
    Jalen Green
    Christian Wood (6'10")
    Chet Holmgren (7'0")
    Mark Williams (7'0")

Sengun, Christopher, Martin, Tate, Garuba

TEXNIFICENT, groovemachine and D-rock like this.
  10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

To be fair I think both Chet and Jabari can play without the ball, but so true. If you have 2 or 3 ball dominant guards you are building around, you need to consider a front court that can be effective without the ball. Both Chet and Jabari can do this. Another reason they are top 2

JusBleezy, HP3, groovemachine and 3 others like this.
  11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I don't mind the idea of wood at SF. I know he can't guard the perimeter but he can't actually guard the interior either so there's no real loss there. he keeps the spacing and adds size so why not... that is if for some reasons he's on the opening day roster.

PWR and D-rock like this.
  12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

just playing devil's advocate... jalen and KPJ both played more efficiently off the ball. having a facilitator like sengun out there helped them a lot. that's one of the reasons they flourished without wood to close the season. a jumbo creator like banchero could support them very nicely.

that being said I still lean jabari. if my 2 stars (jalen and jabari) are elite shooters with at least average defensively, I have the making of a very good team. jalen improved a lot on defense this season and I think he can become a good defender. jabari is already a good defender and can become even better. both are extremely easy to build around too.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Strive? Is that good or bad?

D-rock likes this.
  14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Chet and Jabari both fit very well with Green and Alp. Those three are the cornerstones, KPJ and JC can be as well.
    Those top 3 have superstar potential

#54 cmoak1982, Apr 19, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
    Aruba77, Milos and D-rock like this.
  15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

A bi guy shooting 42% reminds me too much of Antoine Walker/Derrick Coleman

JusBleezy and pippendagimp like this.
  16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Jabari for all his skill has a very,very poor shot selection. I prefer Duren and his man body already. He instantly improves your defense

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I voted jabari although I flip flop a lot.

if we had the #1 pick, I think we should go with someone who projects as a go-to guy. its hard for me to get behind drafting a defensive ace and "connective tissue" first overall. I would be really happy with chet at #3, but I'm not a big believer in his shot creation. he can spot up, catch lobs, pass out of the short roll, fine.. but not a go to guy.

I believe in Jabari's ability to add a dribble package to get his own shot off more than I do Chet's. chet has been more confident attempting to dribble, but that also makes him TO prone and he could probably reel that in a bit.

I'm even more confident in Jabari's ability to add a dribble package than I am with Banchero's ability/desire to be a good defender. in fact if jabari doesn't add a dribble package, and Banchero doesn't become a good defender, I'd still rather jabari for elite shooting and plus defense, over Banchero's plus playmaking and scoring with mediocre defense. in essence I'd rather take potentially a taller version of Klay over a taller version of randle.

so my order right now is jabari, banchero, chet, ivey, and that will surely change each week until the draft.

Y2JT, jiggyfly, groovemachine and 2 others like this.
  18. Rokman

Rokman Member

I'm high on Chet because he looks like Durant out there. He has ball handling skills, 3-Point skills, Defense skills, a high motor and is aggressive. I think he's got the most skills period. - Napoleon Dynamite

Smith seems more limited and at times a little plodding in his approach.

Ivey would take the ball out of Greens hands.

Banchero, I just don't know enough about him but it sounds like he dropped quite a bit in most peoples minds, at least out of the Top 3.

That said, I'd be happy with any of them but would be more disappointed if we ended up without one of the bigs.

pippendagimp, D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Ummm did you see the part of the video where the guests mentioned the two
    point guards were crap and often gave the ball to him in the final seconds
    of the shot clock. Last second heaves hurt ones FG% often.

#59 ApacheWarrior, Apr 19, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
    D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

Its hard to use his shot selection in college to evaluate. he's 18 and I'm sure can learn better shot selection with nba coaching over the next few years. its not like he has a rep for being selfish. quite the opposite. he's known to be a hard worker and very coachable.

the nba draft combine got rid of the bench press activity because they found a negative correlation between prospects who performed well at that test and future nba success. the stronger you are in college the easier it is to dominate. but in the nba everyone is that strong and your advantage is gone. I'm not sure duren's build, or banchero's for that matter, should be a bonus. its not a negative either of course.

I do like duren too, btw. I wouldn't take him in the top 4. maybe at #5 if Sharpe doesn't declare, or the medicals on griffin aren't comforting.