1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What player do YOU want to select in the 2022 NBA Draft?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bo6, Apr 19, 2022.

?

What player do YOU want to select in the 2022 NBA Draft?

1. Chet Holmgren

43.2%
  2. Paolo Banchero

8.3%
  3. Jabari Smith

45.8%
  4. Jaden Ivey

1.9%
  5. Other

0.8%
  1. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Explain your reasons. No logic necessary in this thread.

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

Chet

-highest upside
    -highest potential to impact the game
    -projects to be a defensive demon
    -skilled, mobile big that can shoot

Jabari’s offense is limited, Paolo is sus defensively

Jabari had a worse 2 point percentage than Cade Cunningham in college at just 44%, and Cade is 4 inches shorter…he’s way too reliant on his jumper being good

Chet can easily be a 15 ppg scorer early on with just adequate PG play, and then we’ll go from there as he gets stronger and more comfortable in the NBA

Corrosion, albuster, Shark44 and 24 others like this.
  3. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

Moochie Norris

MC31B, groovemachine, Tfor3 and 2 others like this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

5. xaos

xaos Member

I'm certainly not a draft expert, but my order would be:

In order:
    Jabari Smith
    Ivey

Then it falls into tiers:

Tier 2:
    Banchero
    Griffin

Tier 3:
    Chet

Unknown Tier:
    Sharpe

I'm not sold on Chet. I do believe we need rim protection and size, but I can't help but to see Chet get bullied for his first few years in the NBA. I dont mean pushed a little... I mean bullied to the point where it becomes a running joke. Will he overcome that? Maybe. Do I think he's a tougher than his frame suggest, absolutely. But this is a grown man's game and he would be expected to play against bigs. Fortunately he is playing in an era where "bigs" has a different meaning. I also understand he isn't your typical rim protector because he has quick feet and gaurd skills. So, I recognize he has the highest upside in this draft, I just think his first 5 years in the league will be incredibly rough and might never be worth it. Considering his upside, he is still a top pick in the draft, just not #1 for me. Only reason he is this high is because some of the posters on this site whose opinion hold a lot of weight to me see hil as #1.

Smith: Chose him number 1 because I think he has so many directions he can go as an NBA player. I could see him as a 1-5 defender who can also knock down the 3 at a 40% clip or I can see him as a Jimmy Butler/Paul Geroge/Leonard type of player who continues to develop their handle as the years go on. I feel like his upside is kind of slept on here. This reason isn't high on my list, but it's nice that he fits our rebuild roster. With Banchero we would likely have to pick between Sengun and Banchero, with Ivey we likely have to pick between KPJ and Ivey. Again, we were the bottom team in the league, so picking a player based on needs is silly. It's just nice that he fits. I also think worst case scenario for Smith is he is still an important part of our core.

Ivey: He has all star gaurd potential. Love his personality and tenacity. I've seen Ja comparisons, but I don't see it. He just has the same hair style lol. I still love his game

I don't know much about the other draft prospects, so I could be missing a few.

J_Hunter_1977 and Milos like this.
  6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I haven't settled yet. I won't get myself all in a tizzy over anyone at least until the draft lottery happens. Why waste time debating or in-depth researching Chet vs Jabari if we end up with the 5th pick? Haymitch is a busy man.

That said, if we have the #1 pick, I'm not yet firm on anyone. A week ago it was Jabari; today it's probably Chet.

I like the consensus top 4. Sharpe makes me nervous because I don't like going solely off of high school. Why? Jaden Hardy, for one example.

I think overall I am most comfortable with Jabari. 6'10 great shooter and a good help defender. But comfort is not the deciding factor for me on who we should pick, so... I don't know. I could hear arguments for any of the top 4 and won't be strongly opposed.

For comparison, I only settled on wanting Jalen Green a few weeks before the draft last year. I initially wanted the #1 pick and Cade, but then after the lottery I was on Mobley. I then talked myself out of Mobley and into Green.*

*Note: not saying I was right, just that I tend to bounce around and don't commit myself to a position early on.

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Chet - The best player in this draft who is also the ideal fit.

Rockets biggest problem last year was paint defense / rim protection. Chet solves that and gives you quality offense too.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm starting to look at the top 3 prospects from a maturity point of view.
    Chet and Banchero are more mature than Jabari. Chet has the best all round game. Banchero is a safe pick with upside. Jabari is the youngest at 18, he's a better fit for Houston than Banchero, but not as much as Chet. If Chet gains some lean muscle, and shows that he can handle contact on offense in practice then I will choose him over Jabari.

9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Go on record that I'm not against drafting any of Jabari, Chet, Ivey or Banchero.

I have Jabari - Chet as (1) - (1a) with Jabari slightly ahead.

Jabari floor is Rudy Gay/Sean Elliot while the ceiling is a better
    Derrick Coleman if Olajuwon works with him around the rim.

Derrick Coleman would be mentioned with top 10 power forwards
    of all time if alcohol didn't derail his career. Coleman could do it all
    except hit 3's consistently. Jabari will get stronger and be more of a
    presence near the rim.
    -----------
    First College Season Stats:
    player.......2PA...2P%.....3PA...3P%...TRB..Ast..Blks...Stl....pts
    Rudy Gay:..7.3...46.0%..1.9...46.7%..5.4...1.5...1.9....0.8...11.8
    Jabari.....:....7.0...43.5%..5.5...42.0%..7.4....2.0...1.0...1.1....16.9

All the top 4 are with flaws

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Chebari or bust

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I like the talent in our back court, but I agree with folks who say we can’t afford to draft around the current roster not named Jalen Green.

that said, I believe Ivey is in that top tier with the other 3 bigs. Of those 4 tier 1 players, I think u have to look at which players have the skill-sets we most need. We need a player with size, defense, rebounding and hopefully shooting ability. Ivey doesn’t really fit that. Chet and Jabari do. Paolo has some of these skills, but not others.

so for me it’s Chet or Jabari #1. I wouldn’t be disappointed with either player but I do think Chet has the biggest upside. I think we have to be bold and continue to acquire players who can be truly great, not settle for what’s safe. I think Chet and Green could be on a similar developmental timeline as well. Considering Chet’s size, position versatility, extraordinary defense, and general upside, I think he’s my pick for our 1st pick. I do think we’ll end up with one of those two if we pick in the top 2.

As far as #17, there are maybe 15 guys or so that I think are worth drafting and developing on our roster, but it’s gonna be difficult to develop two more rookies along with our 4 2nd-yr players, and guys like KJ and KPJ. So I’d only use this pick if we did some consolidation to free up some roster space.

assuming that happens and assuming we are able to trade up a few spots, I think getting a guy like Eason would be a great pick. Again, another guy that fits all of our needs but still has a lot of upside.

so Chet and Eason would be my dream scenario.

#11 Aruba77, Apr 19, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
  12. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think I'd be equally happy with Chet or Jabari but I lean Chet just because I'd rather have a rim protector than a wing defender.

13. Denovo

Denovo Member

I want Jabari Smith number 1. Elite shooting/shot making and a switchable 6’10 wing defender is too enticing for me to pass up.
    Especially If his work ethic is as advertised.

I put him slightly above Chet because I think we can get rim protection with the Brooklyn pick.

1A Jabari
    1B Chet
    3 Paolo
    4 Ivey

14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Jabari Smith due to his blend of size, versatility, defensive potential and elite shooting.

Denovo, groovemachine and D-rock like this.
  15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Whichever player will lead to the creation of a new cult

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Chet slightly ahead of Jabari. Ivey next.
    Not sure where to put Sharpe if he declares.
    Paolo and Murray are interesting to me. I think Paolo has the better odds to be a star especially if he improves his shot. Murray doesn't have the offensive upside due to the physical tools, and also isn't much of a creator for others. Murray just gets buckets, is currently a better shooter, and looks like he has more room to grow defensively. If just going by my opinion, I'd have Murray slightly over Paolo in tier of those two just below the top tier. Though, enough people have a different opinion that I'm probably wrong. I'd try hard to trade down a spot if it was down to Paolo and Murray.

cmoak1982 and D-rock like this.
  17. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Jabari Smith would be such a good fit here. When it’s all said and done though, I’d be shocked if he doesn’t go number 1 overall. We’re going to have to get lucky to get him.

18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

There’s only 2 options if you’re the rockets with the first pick, Chet or Smith. They have an obvious fit advantage over Banchero or Ivey.

I’d go Chet but wouldn’t have a problem with Jabari if Stone goes that route.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

THIS^^^^

Could not have laid out the reasons more succinctly than this.

One caveat - If Tari Eason not available at 17 then trade for Hawks 6'9 Jalen Johnson who is similar 2 way player to Eason with playmaking of Banchero.

r-fan-since-81 and Milos like this.
  20. HP3

HP3 Member

Chet is actually perfect for this team right now. Because it seems like he wont need the ball to be an effective player. He can get all his points from pick and roll/pop plays while helping our defense.