1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What overwhelming factor drives your happiness as a fan personally?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Effort!!!

Teams aren't always going to have great players, or even a winning record. But there is no excuse for not giving full effort every single game. Players getting payed millions to play a game never have an excuse for not hustling or quitting on their team. When a team doesn't give full effort, I think changes need to be made.

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Sustained improvement.

3. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Contending for a championship. It's also nice to have superstar players, but it's a small consolation if the team isn't contending.

I disagree with the premise that contention was even plausible during the Yao/Tmac years. I gave up any real hope of that happening after Tmac's first season here.

4. A New Age

A New Age Contributing Member

Staying out of the game threads.

:grin:

5. Rox23

Rox23 Member

For me, winning isn't everything. I'll never sell my soul for a championship.

I figure the season is 82 games long, meanwhile the playoffs may only last 6 or 7 games; and so what matters for me is what happens over the 82, not so much in the playoffs.

When guys play as a team, get along, and exceed expectations--for me that's more enjoyable that rooting for an overpaid, overhyped group of guys who don't get along and/or trust each other, tons of ISO ball, and where games are won by talent alone.

With few exceptions, I actually liked watching last year's team, and the year before that, and the year before that, better than this year's team.

6. duteman

duteman Member

I'm happy watching a rocket team that plays hard with passion and plays smart. Wins are the bonus.

7. thejeremylins

thejeremylins Member

nice post OP

I'm happiest when the guys on the court are having fun playing the game they play best. The Yao Mac years when both were healthy and working, and that incredible stretch where TMac put the team on his back. The beginning of last season when everyone believed in the Rocket's backcourt, saying JLin and Harden were the best in the league, and the beginning of this season when the twin towers experiment was working are my recent favorites. Love to see more of that. I'm sure the optimism will creep back in as soon as the trade hammer falls.

8. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Play the smart basketball. First, play the dammit defense, and secondly stop shoot too many stupid three when you have the best center in NBA. Is this too much to ask for?

9. thejeremylins

thejeremylins Member

lol I think you mean:
    "I enjoy when my team plays tight defense and is able to adapt around their best offensive threats. This is all I ask for." #BeWell

10. masc0635

masc0635 Member

winning games
    favorite player plays well

11. TheJet

TheJet Member

"Life's a journey, not a destination".

I enjoy watching basketball being played on a high level. Beautiful stuff. While the goal should always be a title I don't consider it a failure if you fall short. That being said if you constantly underachieve and lose it's quite disheartening.

And winning is nice.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

I see many people really prioritize defense when it comes to enjoyment. Does this mean you were at your happiest during JVG era? Or that your favorite games today involve the Pacers or the Grizzlies?

I ask because national TV tend to stay away from defensive teams. So I always felt like those are less enjoyable for fans. Personally, I don't really care as long as the Rockets win. I've never had a preference to a 85-80 victory to 110-105 victory. Nor have I felt a 80-85 loss was somehow more preferable to 105-100 loss. They all seem pretty much the same to me.

I can see that. It was my own personal opinion of those teams after all. It is possible that Morey may run the numbers and come up with us having 0% chance to win. But at the time I geniunely thought so.

13. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I don't have super high expectations. I want to feel like my team will make noise in the playoffs - a top-six seed and I'm happy. Top-three and I'm thrilled. I also want to feel like it's not a fluke, and they'll be just as good next year.

14. solid

solid Contributing Member

I got so upset about the way they were playing in the first quarter I turned off the game and never came back. Unfortunately, I missed a comeback and win which I regret, BUT they looked so disinterested in the first quarter I felt like kicking them all in the butt. How can you come out like that against the division leader. It is a BIG game. I am still ticked at this team (like they care) and DEMAND that they beat the Mavs tonight for full restoration (which may be only temporary). As a fan I have my rights!

15. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

3 pages in and no one dares to tell the truth?

"Jeremy". So help me God :).

16. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I loved the JVG era. Great defense. Nothing is better than the 24 second shot clock going off. My favorite team to watch besides the Rockets is the Bobcats. They have a sick defense. That was a great hiring for head coach.