1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Other Coaching Options Are There?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rox>Mavs, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I don't dispute the questionable calls McHale has made. They are perplexing to me as well, but I assume still that he knows something most of us don't or DM saw other qualifications or a willingness to comply with the FO that has him in the position of the Rockets Head Coach. Yet with all the hate and frustration with McHale, I started to wonder who everyone thinks would be a legitimate alternative at this point?

I'm assuming RA wasn't offered an extension because he wasn't on the same page as DM with the rebuilding process and perhaps the moneyball approach.

So given where the Rockets are now and that McHale has, I believe, 2 years left on his contract after this season, who do you think would be a better option given the direction the Rockets are going and the philosophy of the front office and why?

Chris Finch I heard was rumored to be the coach being groomed for the job after McHale. Who else is out there that is realistic right now (don't tell me Phil Jackson)?

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Nate McMillan

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Bad new scapegoaters, the Rockets like McHale.

4. Midrangej

Midrangej Member

Get J Sloan man.....he's a systems guy, and I guarantee there would be back picks, off play screens, double screens.....

And he doesn't have a diva PG giving him grief..can you imagine JLIN pouting!! :grin:.

I can't see Harden giving him grief either....

5. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

the only way Mchale gets fired is if we miss the playoffs

but he is a bad coach, make no mistake about it

6. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

Gentry, S VGD

7. Raven

Raven Member

I've said it before, maybe it's a coincidence, but both Jeff and Rick were shown the door after they started yapping to the media, and now McHale is getting a bit snippy about the same thing that irked, Rick - trading rotation players.

8. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I want Van Gundy back.

I know he doesn't fit the current offensive system, but he seems to have a good relationship with Morey and the organization, and he is someone very sympathetic to the front office's data driven decision making.

Also, while the personnel is currently being used in the up tempo manner, it could also be used in a JVG style as well -- especially with people like Parsons and Asik on the team. And it is not exclusive to an up tempo system to focus on shots at the basket, free throws and three pointers -- you can carry that part of the offensive philosophy over to a more defense focused system.

I like this thread by the way -- this is the right question to ask: who is better than McHale? The senseless bashing of McHale seen in other threads does not jive with what is really going on in games, and is neither constructive or interesting.

9. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I can see the fans giving him grief though. And by mean grief, I mean throwing rocks and bear bottles at him.

No, sorry, John Stockton and Karl Malone's coach will never be welcomed in my city.

1 person likes this.
  10. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

I want Phil Jackson or Rudy T.

11. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I'll take either Van Gundy (get stan and maybe all this d12 nonsense will finally end -lol), I'd love to have Rudy T back...

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

word is Stan Van Gundy impressed alot of people at the Sloan conference

13. cw3k

cw3k Member

Avery Johnson is also looking for a job.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

First of all- He's not going to get fired at this point in the season so its pointless to bring up now.

After that, he's got one more year left on his contract, however, the Summer it MIGHT BE something Les and Morey have a closed door meeting on this topic. More than likely they agree to let him coach next season, and move on after that.

Long term, I think SVG would get an interview. They were rumoured to be after him before should be telling. He's also a coach that has been noted to pay heavy attention to advance sports analytics.... can't hurt his case.

Given the style of play, JVG probably wouldn't be option #1. He did his time in Houston, and that ship ran its course. Love him as an analyst, but he's very similar to McHale as a coaching personality & his basketball mentality is very similar... which makes it ironic that the McHale haters are obsessed with JVG.

Also, I would suspect that they look to hire from within. Kelvin Sampson, Bickerstaff, and Finch all seem to be candidates to me.

15. kanariya

kanariya Member

Nate McMillan is a good option

16. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Interesting.....how so? Any link?

17. kastuul

kastuul Member

We can give the assistant coach a chance.

18. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

SVG would be awesome. But really, McHale is pretty decent.

19. roxxy

roxxy Member

He is an awful coach.

A lot of people have tossed out Sloan I am just curious as to there reason why?

20. Scientific1

Scientific1 Member

Wouldn't mind SVG at all.