1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What offers RFA Chandler Parson might receive

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by blahblehblah, Jun 30, 2014.

?

Match or No Match

Poll closed Jul 10, 2014.
  1. match any offer (max 14 starting)

27.7%
  2. match only if less than 12 starting

72.3%
  1. Dubious

Dubious Member

I can't see any team making an offer the equivalent of what you would pay a first or second option. Pure and simple Parsons is a glue guy, he guards the other team's scorer, he rebounds from the 3, he takes the shot when the clock runs down, but he will never be a 20/10 superstar.

I want him on my team, I want him as a team leader and I think Les would go over the cap to keep him, but if someone offers $55 for 4, you have to let him go. I just don't think they will. It wouldn't be prudent Basketball management.

2. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

The real difference is not that high. Had the Rockets kept CP from becoming a free-agent this season he would have made less than $1 million. Putting off his payday another year. Not only could his play and production reduce, the market could change. So he would go in to an unknown contract year with 9-13 million less than he would have had if he had signed a year before. The Rockets did him a HUGE favor by making him a FA, even if it does ultimately benefit the team as well (by allowing us to match his offer).

And again, the money is not all that players consider. Not every player looks for the most money he can get. Many players look for the most money they can get in a good situation. Not to mention all of the other business benefits a player gets from being in a larger market.

I'm not sure how you figure he will be paid BELOW market value this year. I don't buy it. If he signs below market value, it's only because he wants to, not because teams aren't offering him market value. What teams offer IS market value. It isn't some fixed number, it's based off your history and potential. By playing another season on a contract year, you risk not performing and reducing your value.

He has never been paid over a million because he was a second round pick. The Rockets had faith in him and he owes them a great deal for being where he is today. Does that mean he will ignore all offers or throw 10 million down the drain without a thought? Of course not, I didn't suggest that. However, there is no doubt he will consider taking less money if it is better for his career. His career won't be analyzed on how much money he made. He knows this.

3. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Again, he could make that money after NEXT YEAR and only make 1 million next year. That has to factor in. I wouldn't be surprised if Les paid 11 million a year for him. I'd pay the extra 3/4 million over what he is truly worth to bring back a leader with team chemistry.

4. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Re: Parsons -&gt; <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Lakers?src=hash">#Lakers</a>, or anywhere else. The great @Jonathan_Feigan says <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rockets?src=hash">#Rockets</a> insist they'll match any offer. Figures. They should.</p>&mdash; Mark Heisler (@MarkHeisler) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkHeisler/statuses/484064312093179904">July 1, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

While the Rockets making Parson a RFA is definitely a huge benefit monetarily, lets not kid ourselves that they are doing this to do Parsons a favor. The decision of whether or not to exercise his option or not, wasn't as one sided as you seem to be implying. There was significant pros and cons for the Rockets regarding doing one or the other. SO much so that the topic has been written and debated about by the Media, Clutchfans, including clutch and an in depth article by BimaThug.

Its possible that the Rockets have some back door deal with Parson not signing any other offer sheets in exchange for granting him RFA, but such a deal implies, ONE granting Parsons RFA wasn't in the Rockets interests and TWO Parson agreed to refuse to sign even a max or near max offer from a team like LA, DAL, ORL etc.

Wasn't there several reports out that Chandler Parson would be ok with going to Minnesota if the money was right? If true, that says a lot about the significance & value he views the size of the contract.

Minnesota the city isnt exactly LA or NY nor is the organization well run, managed or successful, rather its been one of the worst run franchises the last decade+. In comparison Charlotte would look like paradise. Furthermore it isnt just cities/organizations like "Charlotte or Cleveland" thats interested, LA, PHX, DAL, ATL, ORL among others are also in the running.

Noone is saying Parsons will 100% take the biggest offer no matter what, but to pretend like it isn't going to be one of the biggest IF not the biggest factors is naive. Parson MIGHT give the Rockets a big discount while spurning the big offers and spotlight of LA or PHX or DAL etc, I just wouldn't be surprise in the least if a teams offer him a ton of money, he signs it.

Lastly Parson can sign a huge offer from charlotte or cleveland, thinking/expecting Morey to match, thereby maximizing his salary, much like jeremy Lin did with Houston/NYK.

6. sfayner

sfayner Member

Why is everyone ignoring this post?? Cannot be signed for over 10 mil per year

7. finsraider

finsraider Member

I think Morey's track record comes in handy here. Morey has never bluffed on a RFA....he has always matched. Not true of teams like Chicago and NYK.

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

And then there are guys like James Harden that step out from underneath the shadows of their better teammates, take a larger role on another team, get paid, and flourish.

Not saying Parsons would agree to a trade to Minnesota, but I don't think its a no-brainer that he would say no right off the bat.

9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Member

All the more reason for teams to feel safe in offering him an albatross contract just to troll the Rockets.

10. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

That sounds like a master plan and all except that cap straps the team that makes the offer for a full 72 hours. No team would sacrifice that very important time just to troll the Rockets.

11. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Member

12. dragonwill

dragonwill Member

Parson selling high.:eek:

13. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Utah RFA Gordon Hayward is meeting with Cavaliers officials in Cleveland today, sources tell Yahoo. Offer sheet could be forthcoming.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/statuses/484379027306594304">July 2, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Parsons will get a massive deal.....

15. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Parsons has to accept the contract before the clock ticks on the 3 days to match right?

16. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Cavs offering max to Hayward doesn't do us any favors with parsons!

17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Can't accept a deal until July 10. Everything should be in order by then and unless he wants to screw the Rockets, he will sign any offer after the Rockets sign their other targets.

18. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Member

Damn. I'm sure Parsons is paying attention to Hayward closely.

#158 Fullcourt, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  19. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Parsons is gonna get the max if Hayward does. He can bounce for that kind of money

20. Fyreball

Fyreball Member

No way in hell somebody offers either of them max money. But then again, it is Cleveland, so who knows.....