1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. htownbball

htownbball Member

We still have Sura's contract, JL3 wants out, and Kirk Snyder didn't really do much of anything last year. Morey seems to wanna keep Snyder for his athleticism, so Sura and JL3 look like our only trade chips willing to be dealt.

Together, they're about $4.5 million. I still want a backup SG/SF. Some keep saying we have depth, but all I see are TMac, Battier, Bonzi, and Snyder. Snyder can't shoot a lick, and neither can Bonzi. Our only shooters off the bench are an undersized SG with no handles and Steve Novak, who has no real position.

Anyone we can get for $4.5 million?

2. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Don't pretend like Luther Head isn't still a Rocket (and hands down the best shooter on this team, for that matter).

I don't see a depth problem. Kirk Snyder may not be a great shooter but at least he can still keep defenses honest from the outside, and remember he's still a young player who's going to get better. The only guy who doesn't have 3 point range is Bonzi, and he isn't going to be playing as a spotup shooter anyway. How many teams can boast of a SG/SF rotation as good as McGrady/Wells/Battier/Head/Snyder?

3. Howry

Howry Member

I think Brooks could play some SG without a problem. Move him onto the other teams PG defensively. Not sure if it would cause to many problems on the defensive side but he can shoot, penetrate and pass from the Off guard spot.

Alston, Brooks, Tmac, Battier and Yao seems pretty formidable to me.

6'0", 6'2", 6'8", 6'8", 7'6".

Im not sure we would get enough rebounding out of Battier for that to work though.

Kind of a small frontcourt but I think the 3,4 and 5 spot make up for that especially with the speed there and the 3 point shooting ability. No one would be able to collapse on Yao without the rockets being able to burn them from deep.

Bonzi, Dikembe, Head, James would all be pretty solid off the bench.

Opinions?

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Highly unlikely IMO.

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

They need Sura to retire to stay under LT.

6. ColdspringX

ColdspringX Member

I dont think we get can get any players better than Head with Sura+JL3. Including Head and Snyder, maybe. If they can pack these 4 horse men for a quality 2 or 4, pull the trigger. But the chance is slim. I cant think of anybody in the block that we truely want, worth giving up Head+Snyder, except for Artest or Haslem.

I wont have a problem if we stay put. Waive Reed, Sura. Trade JL3 and Novak for TE or waive them. Sign a Vet PF like Webber or PJ Brown as insurance policy incase Scola doesnt work out rightway.

PG: Alston-James-Brooks
    SG: Tmac-Head-Snyder
    SF: Battier-Wells-Landry
    PF: Scola-Hayes-(PJ Brown or ?)
    C: Yao-Mutombo-Butler

Inactive list will include (Deke or Butler, PJ Brown or Landry, Brooks or Snyder or Head). There are lota uncertainty. How Wells will appear in the new season. How soon Scola can integrate. How Brooks will develop, etc.

I assume we will sign Landry, 31 is a pretty high pick and we paid cash for it. I would give Head and Snyder at least another half season to see how they develop under the new coach.