1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What NBA players have you met on a personal level?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rocketfan21, Aug 24, 2013.

1. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

ha sorry. now that ya call it out i realize how stupid my wording sounded. would edit if i could. some awesome stories so far and i definitely like hearing background stories when applicable rather than just seeing names listed.

2. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

The most recent was Chandler. He was in the back of Toyota Center getting some bags carried. I was in my car. I noticed him, rolled down my window and yelled out a huge "yooooooo" but I think it must have sounded like a low toned screech. Either way, he gave a head nod and I creamed myself.

3. faraza84

faraza84 Member

Met Jr smith and house of hoops a few years back and just talked to him about the upcoming season and where he was going to sign after the nuggets had fallen out of the playoffs. He was a nice guy and got a pic with him.

I also met terrance williams at Gucci and he was with a friend and he was pretty cool, it was during preseason and he said that parsons will most likely start and he was pumped for the season. I told him he was a beast in 2k and was looking forward to seeing him get some more time. He took a pic with me and my cousin and tweeted it.

4. cebunit

cebunit Member

I met Robert Horry yesterday. Apparently he goes to the same 24hr that I go too. Made me look short and I'm 6'2.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Mo Taylor. Just said hi.

6. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

My mom used to babysit Kobe Bryant back when Joe Bryant had that really brief stint with the rockets in the 80s before they went to Italy. So I met their family a couple of times. The last was in the late 90s after Kobe was drafted and was with Adidas. He was actually a cool dude until the fame and fortune really got to him.

7. domd221

domd221 Member

I've met Tyson Chandler and I'm cool with his half brother, who I play basketball with once a week. He looks nothing like Tyson, like the complete opposite (dark, short, etc.) hahaha. He invited over to a party once and it was him and Tyson hosting it at their mansion house. Tyson is a nice guy.

Also, I know Kawhi Leonard, he went to highschool with me at King High in Riverside. It's crazy because he never talked about even trying to make the league in high school. Then out of nowhere he got a growth spurt and hit the gym and the rest was history.

8. jvu

jvu Member

My uncle met Dennis rodman at a gas station in New Orleans. He asked for an autograph and was rudely denied.. haha heard he is a douche about that stuff.

Anyway I participated in the first annual laker camp in 7th grade. Met Devon George, Derek fisher, and couldn't remember the 3rd guy. Kobe was sappose to show but ended up not coming.

I am friends w/ DeAndre Jordan's cousin while attending College if that counts haha.

Anyway I haven't met many lol.

9. jvu

jvu Member

Also had Danny green this summer who visited Corpus Christi.

10. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I heard that he bends over backwards to make them happy.

11. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

i played a game of 1v1 against johnny flynn.

he was supringlsy competitive and beat my a** 11-1, albeit it was the most competitive 11-1 an of you have seen lol.

get the deal done Morey, you can ever have enough PG's on in the Morey Era

12. dreamshakin

dreamshakin Member

Not exactly a personal level, but I remember seeing tmac at the Toyota center after a concert. I just yelled tmac! And he said whats up. That is all

13. Brutaldiego88

Brutaldiego88 Member

Met Matt Bullard outside Toyota center with a sky blue suit in the Dallas playoff series several years back. I was like "what's up bull" he's like "how's it going" lol

14. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Too many rockets to name. I've had lunch with Hakeem, Charles, and Clyde on separate occasions. The only 2 I know on a personal level/they know me by name are Calvin Murphy and deandre Jordan

15. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

On a personal level? No
    On a "how do you do" level? Most of the Rockets of the mid 80s.

Only real level was with the Snake when he owned Diamond Back (or what ever the name was). Hung out with him for a good long time talking Houston Mayoral politics.

16. lakersuck

lakersuck Member

I met James Harden.....I wish, I live in the Philippines :/

17. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Three years or so ago, I was out with my lady at the Downtown Aquarium on New Year's Eve for dinner and fun. After we got done eating, we decided to head out. As we're walking out the door, I notice a tall guy with long hair sitting on the waiting area bench. I do a double take and it's Scola with his wife and kid. I'm shocked that I finally saw a Rockets player up close and that they had to wait. I make small conversation about how big a fan I am of Scola, shake his hand, ask the result of the New Year's Eve game and if we won (I was out on a date so I didn't get to watch, don't judge) and joking if he got 20/10. Anyway, I didn't want to bother him more and his wife seemed to get annoyed, so I didn't want to ask for a pic and I let them be.

Earlier this year, I was shopping at Trader Joe's on Shepherd with my girlfriend. I look behind me and see Coach McHale there with his wife. He was wearing an orange polo, khaki shorts, and tennis shoes. Starstruck again, I squeal like a little girl to my girlfriend that the Rockets head coach is here. As we pass him, I say "Hey, coach, how's it going?" and he more or less gives off a dismissive "Hello". We both just continue shopping and everytime I see him, I'm sneaking off glances thinking I get the balls to ask for a pic but end up not asking because I didn't want to bother him. It was surprising to me how nobody in the store recognized him, but given the store and area, I guess they're not sports fans.

18. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

When I was younger Clyde Drexler sat down next to my father and me at the first Star Wars prequel. In '07 my family was visiting Disney in Orlando and the Rockets happened to be in town so we went, afterwards we yelled out to T-Mac and he looked and waved at us ( I guess that counts :) )then the staff let me on the floor and I got to meet Bull and Worrel. More recently I met Darryl Dawkins at jam session.

19. dragician

dragician Member

I shook Chuck Hayes' hand when I saw him at Park Place.

20. newAge_Rockets

Not an nba player, built i met aaron Rodgers at Donald driver's annual fundraiser for homeless houstonians. No one was there so we talked to him and got several pics/autographs. This was after his first season starting in which they went 6-10. Who would've think he'd win a Super Bowl 2 years later.