1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What makes Chandler Parsons an almost-star?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wil55n, Aug 1, 2013.

1. PositivityDome

Parsons' ceiling reminds me of the All-Star level that peak Wally Szcerbiak reached, except Wally was a better shooter and was more efficient, but had less handles and defense.

Basically Parsons could reach an All-Star level. You don't have to be a legend to make All-Star teams.

2. kastuul

kastuul Member

Someone posted here
    [​IMG]

3. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Stardom? I'm not sure. But I look at him as the perfect roleplayer and a very good teammate. He's done wonders for our PR, and apparently has played a big role in recruitment and is awesome in the locker room. He can do it all, defend pass and shoot and is very efficient. He plays very well off the ball, and as a result compliments stars very well. I think he is more of a role-playing swing man, spot up shooter more than a star, but I think he is one of the best role players in the league and perfect for our team.

4. kastuul

kastuul Member

The Knicks put Melo in the 4 and his D is miserable.

Not a good idea to ask Parsons to that.

5. SSP365

SSP365 Member

nah he's not a star.

his ceiling and supposed star potential got exposed in that team usa scrimmage. he's not as good as clutchfans make him out to be at least in terms of his upside.

3rd banana at best.

6. kumakun

kumakun Member

Parsons is great because he helped land an all star although he is paid like a scrub. he organizes events for the team, he brings a lot of energy and can be clutch and a great defender when needed. He is the closest thing to LBJ the Rockets have.. maybe more like a KD.

7. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Because he's a Rocket and this is clutchfans. If Parsons was on another team we would all be talking about how overrated he is

8. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

I could see him as a fringe all-star kinda like how Luol Deng was an All-star this past year. I don't really see "star" per say though.

9. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Yes, delusional.

10. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

?! Look at Ariza's season with the Rockets 15ppg, 5.6 rebounds, 3.8 assists. Prettty Parson's like and I already said he had bettter shooting.

Plus he was the 4th or 5th option on a team with a PG who liked to shoot and SG who cant distribute.

Not all that dissimilar. They both excel as role players, but never ask them to be the top dog or #2 guy.

11. langal

langal Contributing Member

his face makes him a star

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

If he could just drive more to the basket and stop chucking threes.

13. wil55n

wil55n Member

Thanks for the discussion guys. I think the general concensus is that we we are all just suffering from Rockets homerism and that "star" has a different meaning to everybody, which is fair enough!

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

He's not a borderline all star yet on talent. He needs to either get back to the kind of D he played a rookie, or take another big step forward offensively. If he does one of those two things, he's a borderline star. If his D returns AND his offense improves, he will be an all star.

Now in terms of media image, it's a different story. He is already a borderline media star. Kind of like how Lin is a big media star but talent-wise is just an average NBA player. Except Parsons is a little less popular among the fans but a little better as a player.

15. rocketblood713

I think cause of how young he is and hes gotten better every year since hes came to the Rockets the number have gone up he just needs to be more consistent

16. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

On popularity as a player...

He attended Billboard Award, he got lots of publicity during the Dwight signing (a good amount of media appearances and write ups), invited to try out in the US basketball team....spite of all of these, he did not gain that much followers on twitter or Facebook. All the exposures did not translate to social media. I find it weird coz I find him very attractive.

17. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

You mean he does everything you would want a role player to do. How can he be our secondary star when he wasn't even our second best player last season--according to Daryl Morey's analytical evaluation--Parsons and Lin tied for 3rd in terms of their impact on the court for the Rockets last season. I like him, don't get me wrong, but he's just a good role player.

18. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

repped!:)

19. clos4life

clos4life Member

He is not all-star and never likely to be. But he can clearly be Shane Battier level and that's all we need him to be.

20. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Go back and look at his play this past season. Look at how he improved from his rookie season. And you will see all the answers to your questions.