1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What makes Chandler Parsons an almost-star?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wil55n, Aug 1, 2013.

1. wil55n

wil55n Member

I love Chandler. He has heart, he has skill. I am so glad he is a Rocket.
    Many on here claim that he is on the cusp of stardom. Yet when I try and explain that to my more knowledgeable basketball fans, they just look at me funny. So tell me, using facts and figures, what makes Chandler so close to being a star? Or are we all just delusional?

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

When he is tuned in, he does it all. He is the perfect anchor for this team.

4. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

His inconsistent jump shot is the only thing holding him back from being great.

If he could shoot the ball well, he could be Bird Jr. Then again, you could say that about many other players that have played the game too.

Shooting is the hardest thing to master in basketball, its what separates legends from greats, greats from all-stars, and all-stars from good or average players.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

because he's better than Lin in the regular season and especially the playoffs.

That by definition means he's already a star. right?

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

what you don't say. Legends are called greats when it comes to basketball. It's the same.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lin needs more time than Parsons... but Lin is younger

8. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

Not in my book they aren't. David Robinson was great...Hakeem was a legend. Clyde Drexler was great...Jordan was Legend. Karl Malone was great...Barkley was great...but neither are legends.

See where Im going with this or do I need elaborate more?

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

No. This is just your subjective view. To me it's not much difference.

10. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

Explain why you think that way, then. I'm game.

11. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Well, Parsons is not an all-star yet. If you ask me, why he has a good chance, I´ll say: let`s look at the numbers:

In his first year in the NBA the second round pick averages 9.5 points, 4.8 rebounds, 2.1 assists and 1.2 steals per game. Not bad for a player, that isn`t featured by his offense.

Now in the second year he majorly improved his overall game, averaging 15.5 points, 5.3 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 1.1 steals per game. He did this while also really improving all his shooting percentages (FG: from 45% to 49%, 3PT: from 34% to 39%, FT: from 55% to 73%). And when the big lights are on in the playoffs (where he had to defend Kevin Durant)? Well he just improved most of the aspects of his game again: 18.2 points, 6.5 rebounds, 3.7 assists while shooting 40% from 3.

Now a young player that beats the odds as a second round pick and keeps on improving his game, that is a player that could get an all-star nod. Especially when you look at his numbers from the playoffs, which are almost all-star worthy.

1 person likes this.
  12. Merovingian

Merovingian Member

bbs.Clutchfans.net GARM

13. Nubmonger

Nubmonger Member

What are you, the Dictionary God of Basketball? Get over yourself. Did you take more than 3 minutes to think about this comment or did the compulsion to vomit all over your keyboard just overwhelm your ability to prevent yourself from saying ridiculous things?

14. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

So your going to chastise one poster for what you are considering a subjective point of view just because it does not match your subjective point of view, :rolleyes:

15. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I'm not sure what the OPs definition of star is but by star I take it to mean all encompassing. He is a star because of how good he is off the court and his popularity off the court.

But if the OP means all-star then I would say he is almost because of his production on the court. LikeMike laid out the numbers, I would only add the Chandler only needs to improve slightly to become a 50/40/90 player (fg% / 3pt% / ft%) which is kind of the holy grail of efficiency. With that type of efficiency plus if he gets his defense back to where it was in his rookie season then I think there is a great chance that Chandler could be an all-star in February.

16. Panda23

Panda23 Member

His looks and facial symmetry

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Thank you for your Input. I have been a fan of the NBA for a long time. They call Hall of Famers great players and Michael Jordan is the Greatest of All time.
    The term legends is slightly used less.
    If you think legends are way better than great players please but according to NBA analysts Hall of Famers are great players and legends.

Tip: Visit NBA.com more often

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What about that post is close to chastising a player. I am just saying what is common around the league that legends are called great players. What is the great deal?

Lol I guess it's the offseason where people are treating Terrence Jones as a murder for stepping on a bum
    You are overreacting to my post. :p

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Fixed. I am too fast for my posts.

20. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

I also wonder at times if Parsons is a star and and why. He seems like an almost star mostly to me because his play is surprising to me. I had thought he would be a good solid player from his rookie year but that he needed 2-3 more years. He stepped it up last year thought and started to become solid. (He did disappear at times the 1st half of the year) As for becoming an All Star though he would really need to step it up again. If it was just for his position then maybe but they choose that pick from all forwards. He would have to be chosen by the coaches to play in the All Star game and for him to get that nod he would need to become a monster player. I doubt he can step it up that much but I hope he does.