1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What makes a Superstar & is Francis one?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hottoddie, Dec 21, 2003.

Tags:
?

Is Francis a true Superstar?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    6.8%
  2. No

109 vote(s)
    67.3%
  3. Yes, if moved to SG or another team/system

31 vote(s)
    19.1%
  4. Yes, no matter what, because I'm a homer

5 vote(s)
    3.1%
  5. No, no matter what, because I'm a hata'

2 vote(s)
    1.2%
  6. None of the above

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. Man

Man Contributing Member

Wow where have you been. No talk about trade...

Well a superstar is someone who can dominate and I think it would be good if he makes everyone around him better. Someone who can do everything..or excels at something very well.

Someone like Shaq, Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Kobe, T-Mac, Dirk maybe...Lebron James probably later on.

Francis well it doesn't matter how you label them..what's the difference?

He's an All Star. He's not a superstar..like you said..we have not made the playoffs in 4 years with him as our franchise.

2. farhan007

farhan007 Member

francis could get shiped, and im sore 29 teams are not dumb enough to force francis to be what he isnt.. a role player... Isntead they will have some sense in their heads unlike this team and their "fans", and place him at sg.

3. Huricane

Huricane Contributing Member

Superstars have a passion for winning. (and/or hate losing even more)

Superstars have leadership ability.

Superstars make ordinary players around them look like all-stars.
    (What majic did for worthy)

Superstars can take it to the next level when the game is on the line.

Superstars don't fold under pressure. (Bird, Jordan, Isiah)

Francis is a great player with awesome athletic ability. But it is not athletic ability that makes a superstar. There is just something else there.

Look at Dominique Wilkins. Great player, one of the best scorers in the league, but never really won anything.

4. acrophobia98

acrophobia98 Member

Francis has the potential to be a great player.

This year, he does not play very well so far, partly because the JVG system is against his natural ability.

If Marbury could turn into a Phoenix style of team PG, Francis with better athletic ability could attain a higher level at Houston.

I trust and hope he will overcome the transition and become the true Franchise.

:)

5. Huricane

Superstars adapt to the needs of the team.

The team should not have to adapt to the needs or strengths of the player.

Majic played all 5 positions. So did many other players. Drexler played the the point, 2 and 3.

6. Huricane

acrophobia98

It really doesn't make a difference what system Rudy used, or JVG uses.

The fact of the matter is, inthe past, Rudy won with his system, and JVG won with his system. If the players are committed to winning, they will win regardless of the system or the coach.

Look at Jerry Sloan, he got his rag tag group of players to believe in what he preaches, and lo and behold, they are winning. To top it off, they are a younger team then the rockets, and will probably get better.

Taking a look outside of basketball, Bill parcells wins where ever he goes, he has a system he knows it works, and gets players that listen to what he says, and they win.

Comming into this season, I really thought the rockets would be much better than they are now. Some people can argue that this rocket team has more tallent than than than JVG's old NY teams.

I am one of those people that would argue that point, and with the talent this team has, I really thought this team would have been better than JVG's old NY teams.

7. Charvo

Charvo Member

I like Stephon Marbury better than Steve. His passing seems to be more in sync with his teammates than Steve's. Stephon Marbury was the reason why the Suns went to the playoffs last year.

8. farhan007

farhan007 Member

i guess Yao will never be a superstar then...

9. franchise?..NOT

Steve is not now and is unlikely to make the connection to superstara mentality. Tremendous physical talent, non-NBA brain. Lots of guys out there who could take his place given the opportunities he has had as have so many other amazing talents in pro sports. RT's legacy and his tenure are dotted with a good judgement of physical talent. His ablity to judge basketball IQ, personal maturity and integrity has been mixed at best. Name just about any guy he brought to the organization and you can find as many fatal flaws as you can NBA qualifications. SF and Griffin are just the latest examples. Million dollar bodies, Ten cent heads. SF has had enough time and doesn't have a clue.

franchise?..NOT

10. iOrange

iOrange Contributing Member

vcchlw and thehorns:

i think i got little bit carried away by last night's game in which SF got schooled by Marbury really bad. :p Anway, I think offensively Steve has the potential to be a great SG. If we could find a Eric Snow or a Ron Harper (96-98) , it'd be perfect.

11. dfoolz

dfoolz Member

Francis will never be a superstar. He had his time to do something with "his" team and he failed. Superstars go to the playoffs and win, he hasnt even gotten to the playoffs. Dream was a superstar he went to the playoffs and won. Duncan, Kobe,Shaq and AI are superstars. You cant put Francis up there with these guys. He is just a hot dogger who would be happy if he was on sportscenter every night. He could care less about winning.

12. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Since over 2/3's of the voters, thus far, believe Francis is not a Superstar, do you believe that Francis would be tradeable, given his Superstar contract? Would we be able to get a star player for him? Or, would we have to settle for some role players & a couple of draft picks?

As hard as we judge him, I'd bet that a lot of coaches & GM's would be drooling for a chance to try their hand at drawing out his full potential.

13. Charvo

Charvo Member

Unless you get a situation in which another star player gets disgruntled or gets run out of town, noone is going to trade star talent for Steve. New Jersey Nets traded Stephon Marbury right after Jason Kidd beat up his wife.

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I've said the same too. The thing is that no one is asking him to be Stocton,Magic or even Rod Strickland, just make good decions on a nightly basis. If Jason Willimiams can go from to machine to having the best asst:to ratio going on 2 yrs, why can't Francis? I don't care about the 5 asst a game, but if thats all the asst you will throw, you to's should be around 2.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

1) Consistancy. You have to be consistant every night. We have to know we can count on that player to knock in 17ppg , 7 assists, 7 rebounds each night. No worries. Francis is not there yet.
    2) Take over games. In crunch time a superstar can take over the game, get his shot off and make it more times than not. Francis does do this at times, but not with enough frequency because he is not consistant as mentioned above
    3) Make his teammates better. When the player is on the court the teammates play better. This can be because the superstar is a great passer OR it can be that he is dominant enough that teams double him and the ball can be swung to open peoplel for jump shots like the days of Olajuwon.

I would say Francis is NOT a superstar. His lack of consistancy really hurts him more than anything.

16. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Yeah that's the problem with labeling Francis a superstar. I believe a superstar is someone who, in the clutch, wants the ball and does something good with it more often or not under the intense pressure at crunch time. Basically to me a superstar is a winner and Fracnis hasn't gotten this team to the playoffs yet so I have not been able to see what he can do when it counts. All I can measure him by now is how he performs in close games and nothing he does in these situations would lead me to call him a winner. Flashy, fun to watch are good labels for Francis. Superstar.........not until we can see how he plays when it counts.