1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What makes a highschool player "worthy" of big college scholarships?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by cstrike2, Dec 20, 2012.

1. cstrike2

cstrike2 Member

Interestingly, I have a teammate on my high school team (hes a senior and im a freshman) and he got a full ride scholarship to SFA. (Ellis Moore if you wanna look him up) and he's averaging 16.4 points, 2.7 assists, and 3.6 rebounds as a 5'11 shooting guard. We play a lot of tough schools in Texas and have a tough division. In fact, we play the Harrison twins on a regular basis. I'm just wondering what makes Aaron Harrison, for example at 18.8 pts, 2.7 assists, and 4.6 rebounds 4th in the country as far as recruitment!

Moore - 16.4 ppg, 2.7 apg, 3.6 rpg, 2.1 spg - 19th recruit in the state of Texas
    Aaron Harrison - 18.8 ppg, 2.7 apg, 4.6 rpg, 2.5 spg - 4th recruit in the nation

I understand he is oversized, but can someone explain this?? Their stats are extremly comparable, there must be some sort of politics involved.

1 person likes this.
  2. cstrike2

cstrike2 Member

Anyway, why does Ellis deserve SFA while Aaron deserves Kentucky. Just doesnt make sense to me

3. sammy

sammy Member

5'11" shooting guard

/thread

4. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Member

Potential, athleticism, playmaking ability, mentality. A lot of variables here to be honest. I am sure your teammate is an excellent basketball player, but comparing stats can be very misleading. Aaron is 6'5 and is still young. His overall skillset (from what I have seen) is definitely showing potential for making it into the league. His size with his skill set shows great potential if he can develop. Your friend though is very undersized to play 2 guard in college/ NBA and would have to convert to PG. I have not seen your friend play so I cannot say if the potential for that transition is there.

Just my 2 cents

1 person likes this.
  5. da_juice

da_juice Member

Yeah, it probably has to do with his raw skill and how he plays the game. Talent can make up for BBIQ or playstyle in high school and college, but only super elite talents can do so in the NBA.

6. bongman

bongman Member

As a basketball player, I would assume that you follow the NBA. If you are a GM and can only pick one player to sign between 2 candidates and will be offering the same contract (basically that is what is in college), who would you have signed?

Last years stats on 2 players:

Harden - 16.7ppg, 4.3 rpg, 3.6 apg, 1.1 spg
    G. Henderson - 15.1 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 2.3 apg, 0.9 spg

Most knowledgeable NBA folks would pick Harden even though those stats are almost identical. Regardless of whether it is the NBA or College, it would be too simplistic to rely your decision based on just those 4 stats.

7. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Sorry you can't teach height.

Also stats mentioned in no way cover the ability of your friend in guarding other 2 guards (most likely taller).

Same reasoning why 7 footers even with little skills are given looks.

8. cstrike2

cstrike2 Member

That makes sense. I understand hes not gonna go to Duke or Kentucky or anything like that, and Aaron and Andrew come as a package so that gives them an advantage. Its just interesting that more competitive schools don't look his way. It also makes it harder for me to one day get a scholarship because nobody really scouts a highschool whose best player in its history ended up going to SFA

9. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Because you can't teach size.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It has more to do with how a player is projected to perform at the next level. Comparing stats doesn't mean much.

OP, do you watch much college basketball? There are thousands of players that average 15-20 ppg, but very few have a legit chance to make the NBA.

11. 713

713 Member

physical tools, skills & techniques, character.

If any high school player has 2 of the 3. They can play D1.

12. jtr

jtr Member

You get rep just because you are you. Glad to have you on board.

13. batkins

batkins Member

It's all about raw natural ability and size in high school recruiting. Plus, a lot of it has to do with potential. I'm sure there's some players that can play with the top recruits (NBA potential) right now, but in the long run they'll have a hard time keeping up based on the before mentioned raw natural ability and size.

14. Panda23

Panda23 Member

This.

15. smr6

smr6 Member

The Harrison also has his twin which he has to share the scoring with. On separate teams they would each have higher scoring averages no doubt.