1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Kinds of Inquiries?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cbk41, Feb 3, 2013.

1. ashiin

ashiin Member

Don't push it bro

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

But that's not the comparison. The comparison is a hypothetical Asik+stuff+FA signing(J. Smith, Millsap, etc.) vs. <insert player(s) coming back> + Pekovic.

I have no clue who's out there that can be had for Asik. But It's very possible that player would be worth more than any offseason FAs at $15mil/yr.

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

fixed

4. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I believe a viewing of the random trade thread would prove to the contrary of your assertion... lol

o/w outside of our big 4 (harden/asik/lin/parsons) the majority of our roster has minimal appeal.... a few guys teams would like to have as rotation players...but not willing to pay anything for....

I'd say TJones, DMo, or Delfino = mid/late first rd pick
    GSmith, PPat, or maybe MMo = prob a late first round....
    TD, Aldrich or Beverly might net you a mid second rd pick...
    Royce White = negative value... we'd have to pay a team to take this nutjob's contract off our hands...

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Sorry, I don't follow.

I don't think we are trading Asik, but I could be wrong. It took us a long time to find a true center who does what Asik does. Now we have him looked up cheap for 2 more years. I don't think we're giving that up easily. No guarantee we are able to sign Pek so I just don't see us moving Asik. Goes without saying that Paul or Dwight would do it, but neither will be moved so...I think Asik stays put.

6. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

It's a maxim in the NBA that size gets you paid. That means that you'd have to find a significant upgrade in skill in order to negate the size advantage. Supply and demand. So I don't think Asik will be traded, despite his limited offensive game, unless it's for an obvious upgrade like Tyson Chandler or Dwight Howard. There's always a chance he can grow offensively. And his size combined with his defense isn't easily replicated. He will need to grow offensively over the next couple of years of his contract to at least be a neutral value offensively, instead of a negative value. Otherwise, I just don't see him being part of a championship team. You can't go 4v5 on offense every play. Fortunately, while I don't think he will ever become an offensive force, I think there's a chance he can become a neutral value on the offense. Alternatively, there may come a point where the FO decides that he can't progress any further offensively, and that it's better to sell high if you're sure he can't be part of a championship team due to the 4v5 offense. But such a point certainly hasn't been reached yet, and probably won't be reached this season or the beginning of next. I'm just hoping that any regression on offense currently is due to fatigue and can be overcome with conditioning, instead of Bulls fans being right that his stone hands on offense are too much to overcome.

7. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

Everyone except Harden is tradeable for the right price. Though I'd hate break up any of our key guys, Lin could be moved to someone who needs a penetrating pg, Parsons would be welcome anywhere, and Asik could mean a lot of money for a lot of teams now that he's proven he can play starter's minutes and provide such a defensive impact and rebounding prowess. PPat and Delfino would also be welcome on several teams along without rooks. This team is full of excellent pieces to move.

But do we want to? As much as people are down on Lin, even in good games, trading him won't provide such a big difference. Our first priority is and has been a tough pf and solid backup center.

8. kreia

kreia Member

No one in the starting lineup is going to be moved for anything unless it is for an actual second star, a top 15 player. Not Josh Smith or Millsap or some **** like that. Yes even Patpat and Jeremy. Patterson has shown flashes of an actual low post game the entire season, and no one can actually predict where Lin's career is going because it is so unique. If the Rockets let him go for a second time and he went somewhere else and became a good player..well, yeh..he's been trending upwards as well. The trade bait is all sitting on the bench.

9. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

This is a Daryl Morey team. That means everyone is tradeable for the right price. Including James Harden. But there are probably only 1 or 2 players who would constitute that high a price of making Harden available. Harden would certainly be traded for Lebron straight up if possible (extremely unlikely scenario, to say the least).

10. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

For all realistic scenarios, Harden is untouchable. You pick up a 23 year old budding superstar who is efficient as helll. You do not trade him for anyone.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

Not for anybody who is actually available, anyway.

I suppose in a fantasy world where LeBron or Durant become available. That's about it though... I wouldn't trade Harden for anybody else in basketball

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think Morey said they're looking for a top 30 player in an interview the other day. Not top 15. I doubt we can get another top 15 player.

13. Falcao

Falcao Rookie

How is Taiwan a territory of China???

Is the U.S. a territory of GB?

China is bigger and has a stronger military than Taiwan, but they have no claim. Might does not make right.

Unless that's the type of philosophy you have.

14. peter2012

peter2012 Member

Lets stop this kind of discussion.

15. spankz141

spankz141 Member

I think many playoff teams will be looking for Patrick Patterson. He can shoot the midrange jumper and has room to grow in the post.

16. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Morey wouldn't flinch at moving Patterson, if he thought it would help us.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Deflino. Very friendly contract.

Parsons too.