1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What it means to be “woke”

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by durvasa, Apr 19, 2022.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Are they lunatics? Sure. But they are lunatics over a harmless cause that requires empathy outside of humans.

I'm more fearful of lunatics who obsess over people having discussions on society in nuance and labeling that as "woke" because they have issues with understanding the concept of empathy.

HakeemOnlyFan, TheJuice and DaDakota like this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

We are talking past each other.

He has his own agenda.

I have been called worse by others who don’t want to have an academic discussion.

Germany is much more woke than this country.

some folks just are more comfortable labeling others….and I ignored his threat saying I needed to be careful because people know who I am......ridiculous.

DD

#102 DaDakota, Apr 21, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
    deb4rockets likes this.
  3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I remember when I was a kid people who would do something like that in the name of global warming, or protecting the earth from pollution were laughed and mocked in the same way. Yes... some people protest some pretty strange issues in some strange ways, but having the ability to voice it in a non violent way is a big reason why our country can be great at times.

It should also be reminded to right wingers like Tinman that one of the most progressive presidents in our history was essentially kicked out of office (announced he wouldn't run again) after passing popular legislation domestically because a large group of weirdo hippies (people Tinman would probably hate now, and call "woke") protested Vietnam in weird and wacky ways.

Lastly - the glue thing is funny, but we actually do have a "chicken issue" here in this country in more ways than one. Our over harvesting of a species for mass consumption is a tidal wave on the horizon destined to cause damage in the future to at least our health. The "Chicken Issue" is a topic for another day, but just wanted to make that point... as quaky as it seems, discussing our relationship with the Chicken species won't be that wacky in the future I suspect.

4. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Welcome back! Hope you're feeling better today.

[​IMG]

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Non Contributing members
    I refer to them as NON CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS
    @J.R.
    @Os Trigonum

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Bravo sir.

[​IMG]

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Welcome back?

What did I miss?

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

WTF?

Tomstro dropping some knowledge.

Except for the racist part, it's definitely pandering for some.

9. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

pandering and therefore racist.

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So pandering is racist? o_O

11. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I think so. If you think a particular race needs or wants your empty pandering, then yeah.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Pandering goes on within the races, so I don't know how it could be racist itself, but whatevs.

13. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

exactly in the way that I said. Not all pandering is racist, obviously, because not all pandering has to do with race.

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

great article, and far too long to summarize here. worth a look

ELEPHANT IN THE ZOOM

Meltdowns Have Brought Progressive Advocacy Groups to a Standstill at a Critical Moment in World History

https://theintercept.com/2022/06/13/progressive-organizing-infighting-callout-culture/

an excerpt:

Executive directors across the space said they too have tried to organize their hiring process to filter out the most disruptive potential staff. “I’m now at a point where the first thing I wonder about a job applicant is, ‘How likely is this person to blow up my organization from the inside?’” said one, echoing a refrain heard repeatedly during interviews for this story. (One executive director noted that their group’s high-profile association with a figure considered in social justice spaces to be problematic had gone from a burden to a boon, as the man now serves as an accidental screen, filtering out activists who’d be most likely to focus their energy on internal fights rather than the organization’s mission.)

“Everyone is scared, and fear creates the inaction that the right wing needs to succeed in cementing a deeply unpopular agenda.”
    Another leader said the strife has become so destructive that it feels like an op. “I’m not saying it’s a right-wing plot, because we are incredibly good at doing ourselves in, but — if you tried — you couldn’t conceive of a better right-wing plot to paralyze progressive leaders by catalyzing the existing culture where internal turmoil and microcampaigns are mistaken for strategic advancement of social impact for the millions of people depending on these organizations to stave off the crushing injustices coming our way,” said another longtime organization head. “Progressive leaders cannot do anything but fight inside the orgs, thereby rendering the orgs completely toothless for the external battles in play. … Everyone is scared, and fear creates the inaction that the right wing needs to succeed in cementing a deeply unpopular agenda.”

During the 2020 presidential campaign, as entry-level staffers for Sanders repeatedly agitated over internal dynamics, despite having already formed a staff union, the senator issued a directive to his campaign leadership: “Stop hiring activists.” Instead, Sanders implored, according to multiple campaign sources, the campaign should focus on bringing on people interested first and foremost in doing the job they’re hired to do.

There are obvious difficulties for the leadership of progressive organizations when it comes to pushing back against staff insurrections. The insurrections are done in the name of justice, and there are very real injustices at these organizations that need to be grappled with. Failing to give voice to that reality can leave the impression that group leaders are only interested in papering over internal problems and trying to hide their own failings behind the mission of the organization. And in an atmosphere of distrust, the worst intentions are assumed. Critics of this article will claim that its intention is to tell workers to sit down and shut up and suck up whatever indignities are doled out in the name of progress.

The reckoning has coincided with an awakened and belated appreciation for diversity in the upper ranks of progressive organizations. The mid-2010s saw an influx of women into top roles for the first time, many of them white, followed more recently by a slew of Black and brown leaders at most major organizations. One compared the collision of the belated respect for Black leaders and the upswell of turmoil inside institutions with the “hollow prize” thesis. The most common example of the hollow prize is the victory in the 1970s and ’80s of Black mayors across the country, just as cities were being hollowed out and disempowered. Or, for instance, salaries in the medical field collapsed just as women began graduating into the field.

“I just got the keys and y’all are gonna come after me on this ****?” one executive director who said he felt like a version of those ’70s-era mayors told The Intercept. “‘It’s white supremacy culture! It’s urgent!’ No mother****er, it’s Election Day. We can’t move that day. Just do your job or go somewhere else.”

Being Black has by no means shielded executive directors or their deputies from charges of facilitating white supremacy culture. “It’s hard to have a conversation about performance,” said the manager. “I’m as woke as they come, but they’ll say, ‘He’s Black, but he’s anti-Black because he fired these Black people.’” The solution, he said: “I buy them to leave, I just pay them to leave.”

Inner turmoil can often begin, the managers said, with performance-based disputes that spiral into moral questions. “I also see a pattern of … people who are not competent in their orgs getting ahead of the game by declaring that others have engaged in some kind of -ism, thereby triggering a process that protects them in that job while there’s an investigation or turmoil over it,” the foundation official added. Such disputes then trigger broader cultural conversations, with battle lines being drawn on each side.
    more at the link

JumpMan and tinman like this.
  15. adoo

adoo Member

16. tinman

Supporting Member

J.R. likes this.
  17. tinman

Supporting Member

@Os Trigonum
    The haters hate Rippa because he hates woke culture

18. adoo

adoo Member

Tinman, the propagator of the meaningless rhetoric "woke", would like us to forget that he has been an ardent supporter/admirer of
    the well-informed/well-read Darryl Morey, who has applied analytics towards running a basketball team.

if anyone is "woke", it would be the analytics-reliant Morey and his Moreyball, yet Tinman continues to brown nose Darryl

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

From what I gather it usually means " stuff I disagree with but have no cognizant rebuttals and therefore toss the table and call it some arbitrary term"

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks but rereading the post you're responding to really reminds me how much I need an editor and how often my dyslexia creeps into my posts.

jiggyfly likes this.