1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What it means to be “woke”

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by durvasa, Apr 19, 2022.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

We only lived there until I was 2 and a half, but I was born and lived right down the road.

Born on Bitburg, lived in Spangdahlem. The two airbases you speak of, I assume.

Small world.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Yes, I remembered that you had mentioned being born in Bitburg, we had some chats about that in threads.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Not at scale. I don't think so.

I did actually have one employee (from East Germany) who got reported to HR because she made some remarks that she was avoiding Asians, when Covid started (in front of an Asian colleague). I looked into it and felt that the comment was more ignorant/bad humour than malicious.

We let the offending employee go anyway, as part of a slightly larger layoff going on, without quoting the incident(s) as the reason for termination. She cried a lot. I felt sorry for her.

4. Two Sandwiches

Sorry I'm getting old.

(Not really, but I feel it)

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

durvasa likes this.
  6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

7. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I was 14 when that thread was started…damn time flies.

8. Two Sandwiches

AroundTheWorld and durvasa like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Women are the most exploited group in human history. We need to start the discussion there.

Deuce, jiggyfly, DaDakota and 4 others like this.
  10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

While I agree about all women being exploited, at least there is some history that hasn't been censored.

Betsy Ross
    "Rosie the Riveter"
    Women's suffrage
    Amelia Earhart
    Marie Curie

jiggyfly and Nook like this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I like to think women in the US will continue improve in stature because of their earning potential, the amount of degrees they have that are outpacing men, and how they continue to increase their share of being in positions of power (glass ceiling). It has the appearance of getting there...

We have a lot of problems dealing with African American history and treatment....think about whenever we get around for addressing/atoning for our (continued) treatment of First Nations. People reflexively give up because it's insurmountable if they genuinely start considering the weight of it all.

Just doesn't fit any narrative we like to tell ourselves, so we brush it as a one off.

Nook likes this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Yes but that color blind society DOESN'T exist here, I have family that still calls Covid the WUHAN virus and would make no distinction between Chinese, Korean, Thai, Japanese anything.....that is 100% my point.

People that grew up in a WOKE culture like Germany are further along than we are here in the USA.

All people benefitted from that - we have a racist society here.....and it is embarrassing.

The GOP is the party of racism, and supporting it is supporting racists.

DD

#92 DaDakota, Apr 21, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
  13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I knew that you are trying to overcompensate. You are what you are saying you are fighting.

Stop with this "WOKE culture in Germany" nonsense. You are just babbling crap.

Tomstro likes this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My time this week has been limited because of work and some other things so haven't yet had the chance to read through this thread or watch the video of the original post.

Like so many buzzwords these days "Woke" is vague and as such it's an easy term for both proponents and opponents on a variety of issues to use. Generally if the idea of being woke is being aware of the struggles of those who are part of groups that have been historically discriminated and disadvantaged I don't see that as being a problem. Like a lot though of what is wrong with this society is when people express their "Wokeness" through "look at me stunts" like gluing yourself to the floor of Target Center.

"Woke" is also a problem when it's used as cudgel of moral superiority and I think that is where we've seen the backlash from many regarding wokeness. It's those "Woke Elites" telling us what to think and saying we are bad people if we don't agree with them... This again though get's to the overall cultural problem we have of discussing difficult issue without thinking the worst of those who we don't agree with.

#94 rocketsjudoka, Apr 21, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
    jiggyfly and durvasa like this.
  15. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why are you calling him racist?

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

His posts got deleted, so I will not repeat it all.

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

@AroundTheWorld is not that type of person. He gets information from soundbites, tweets and YouTube videos that package nuanced conversations into neat talking points. I don't think it's worth it to engage in any further type of discussion with that type of poster. There is a reason why these type of people are labeled as "reactionaries"

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Educate me again on how Germany is more right wing than the United States of America? Why are you so dedicated to campaigning for further right wing policy in red states like Texas and Florida here in America when I've seen you post next to nothing about even the most liberal parts of Germany and it's policies?

DD is.... well being DD here, but it's not like he doesn't have a point about your credibility in these particular conversations. Unless I'm wrong about Germany and it is more Conservative than Red State America, then you are surely worrying way too much about the neighbors weeds in their yard while your house is on fire.

jiggyfly and DaDakota like this.
  19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think you are just mentally ill dude.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I personally think the word lunatic applies to people protesting chicken deaths by going to nba games and glueing themselves to the court

if there are parents and children at the game they would only refer to that person as a lunatic

also nobody in cheap seats could read the t shirt

MojoMan likes this.