1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What it means to be “woke”

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by durvasa, Apr 19, 2022.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

No but I spent a good amount of time there managing teams in Munich and Cologne.

That is not what I meant in any way - that is your perception leaking through - I am saying that everyone benefits in a "Woke" society.

I think everyone on here should be completely open and accountable for identity and what they post, but that is not what we get, we get a bunch of people hiding and posting or trolling.

I do think you are extrapolating out on what I said, versus what you THINK I MEANT.

I literally MEANT what I SAID - everyone growing up in a WOKE culture benefits.

And that the GOP or RIGHT leaning platform is racist - against blacks, Asians, LBGTQ...etc..etc...

DD

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

You're being defensive again because you can't answer any of those questions. I've managed teams in India. Doesn't make me an expert of Mumbai or Pune even if I attended Diwali.

If you can't ask someone in person about this situation for an objective look, I'd be a little more guarded in social media or company gatherings.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  3. DaDakota

Supporting Member

LOL - hardly - You are asking questions about whether I lived a year in Germany - which is meaningless, it is your line - I am saying no, but I worked over there quite a bit, which is where I get my viewpoints.

You are looking for ways to say my experience doesn't matter, I am not agreeing with that - doesn't make me an expert but it certainly allows me an informed opinion.

Thanks for your advice, but as an old man yelling at the clouds, I am hardly worried about tough conversations......happy to face them head on.....and directly.

I guess I crossed some lines that I didn't know even existed....lol.

DD

#63 DaDakota, Apr 20, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
    Rileydog, Nook and Invisible Fan like this.
  4. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It appears my post about Mallory McMorrow was among the purged posts. Not sure why and so I'm reposting the article and will reiterate that "woke" just seems to be a latter day version of "PC" - a nebulous term that (1) conservatives use to complain when they're called out for using abusive and offensive language and (2) wimpy Democrats like Heidi Heitkamp use to assign blame for their self-inflicted election losses to more progressive politicians.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...y-mcmorrow-james-carville-wokeness-democrats/

Here a tweet of the speech that inspired the article

Bravo to McMorrow for articulating such a great response to conservative "woke" shaming

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Thanks for reposting. I missed it the first time around.

6. DaDakota

Supporting Member

That is the best thing I have seen on the internet in months.

DD

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

8. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Wouldn't happen in Germany.

;)

DD

dmoneybangbang and Ubiquitin like this.
  9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I'm not Korean, I'm German. My mother came from Korea, so half of my genes are from there. That's literally my only connection to Korea - I was there a few times on holidays.

I was born and raised in Germany.

It's funny that you still don't get it AT ALL.

@Invisible Fan is right, whoever deleted these posts was doing you a massive favour.

On a more general note, and I have made that comment a few times, one of the first things I noticed when I came to the US as an exchange student in 1995 was that there were all these questionnaires which asked people to name their race. I was quite bewildered by the question, since even asking it would have been considered bad form in Germany. And even back then I was thinking, what purpose does this serve?

To this day, I remain convinced that it would be in everyone's best interest to have a color-blind society. Those who consider themselves "woke" or "enlightened" and overly focus on race and perceived discrimination, perhaps with good intentions, are actually carrying more prejudice than those who just look at people as people. There is something incredibly divisive and patronizing in thinking you need to single out someone's race to "promote them" or to tell them how they "have benefitted" or "should be grateful". It is mostly done by white people who want to show how "enlightened" they are and who don't even realize that it's doing nothing but uncovering their racial prejudice.

This thread was a good example of that.

I will leave it at that.

Nook and Invisible Fan like this.
  10. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Your ethnicity is half Korean half Germanic? So American? Lol.

11. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Better question is are you from East Germany or West Germany? And why is doner kabob a German dish now?

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't know any of this, I thought you were born in raised in Compton like DJ Quik

@Os Trigonum

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Very far in the west. I grew up like 10 minutes from Belgium, 20 minutes from Luxembourg, 30 minutes from France, 40 minutes from the Netherlands - but in the middle of nowhere.

There was an American air base (that later got given up) in my little home town, and a larger one (that also later got given up) about 20 minutes from where I grew up.

I believe @EddieWasSnubbed spent time there in his childhood.

Where I grew up, there wasn't a single slightly Asian-looking child, other than me.

Once, my father (who was an ophtalmologist) got called out of his practice because people in the hospital thought I had gotten run over by a car. The poor child who actually had gotten run over was a bit Asian-looking. So people in the hospital said "that's the ophtalmologist's kid" (everyone knew us). Child of a US soldier. Fortunately, the child made it.

About the Döner Kebab part, I think you know the answer. Immigration from Turkey. It's a normal thing. Germans embraced that part of the culture like we did pizza, pasta, shawarma, Chinese food, etc.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  14. dmoneybangbang

Probably because race has been a big issue in America and fortunately less of an issue today than 30/40 years ago and much better than 60 years ago. We will probably never be a colorblind society.

The rise in "woke-ism" is a direct response to the rise in Christian nationalism in America, especially starting in 2016 when it was politically effective. Even gay equality in the early 2000s was met with scorn from the right, so there is no middleground with the religious right. Ironically both wokism and Christian nationalism are both based in victimhood.

jiggyfly and mdrowe00 like this.
  15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Dude, you're not from Spangdahlem, are you?

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Pruem

17. durvasa

Do you think you would have faced any backlash if you lived here in 2020? There was a lot of news stories on anti-Asian sentiment here. Maybe you'd have been safe from that, depending on what you look like.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Speaking of “wokeness” I encourage all of your MAGA nuts to be woke as hell and boycott Disney June 9 -15th when I’ll be there.

No Worries and dmoneybangbang like this.
  19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

No, I'm never worried about anything like that for me, personally.

I am aware that the problem exists, however.

20. durvasa

I see. Did that problem (anti-Asian sentiment) exist in Germany?